Water Leak Sensor

johnmsch

Just received the Ken Update – Jan 10 and things are starting to look promising!

In it, he mentions the Water Leak Sensors (2852-222) and I'd really like to get a few of these.  However, when checking out the item, there is the phrase Receive leak alerts via email and push notifications and/or emails when used with the Insteon Hub or other compatible software.  Does anyone know what is meant by "other compatible software"?  I've never had, nor do I want to buy a Hub now.  Any reference to a Hub just gives me chills, given what happened not so long ago.

The sensors use the Insteon RF protocol. You would need an Insteon dual band device, such as an on/off module,  lamplinc module, etc. close to the leak sensor to relay the signal to the PLM.

To receive notifications, you would write a program to send you an email or text when the sensor is activated.

Thanks guys, but doesn't look like this is going to work for me.  About 90% of my setup is just 2466x switches and they are not on the Dual Band Wireless list.  The few things I have that are on that list are nowhere near where I'd need the water sensors.

I did get excited for a brief moment when I discovered the #2443 Dual Band Access Point, but my hopes were completely dashed when I found that these aren't around any more.  The only one I could find was a used one one on eBay.

I guess, for the time being anyway, I'm stuck with my YoLink water sensors.  I test them regularly and they seem to work as intended, but I really wanted to integrate this with my Insteon system.

@johnmsch, curious what you think you will gain with the insteon over the yolink?

I have both plus some z-wave sensors ; all of them work but I actually am liking yolink

(don't bother with their switches, but their water valve & temp/humidity are all good).

They have excellent range and give better feedback than the z-link & much like the insteon.

I integrate them with my Polisy & now Eisy quite well ; same programs for all three really.

just interested in your thoughts / concerns.

• Like 1

Hi @sjenkins, thanks for chiming in.  As I mentioned, I was just looking for a way to integrate water sensors in my Insteon system.  I've looked at Polisy and Eisy, but just don't have the need (or do I?) to go beyond my old faithful 994i.

Would you please expand on how you integrate the Yolink sensors with Polisy & Eisy?  The Yolink comes with its own hub and app, so I'm very curious!

@johnmsch I am sorry I didn't see the want to keep the 994 going.  I also have an "old faithful" 994 which is not doing anything but being kept up to date for that friend or smaller use.  I now also have an "extra" Polisy too which I will use as a development device I think.  I did have to move on to move up as they say.

Anyway, integration of the YoLink devices is through the very excellent node server written by @Panda88.  Set-up is simple & it has been rock solid.  The yo-link and app are still used ; the app for device maintenance and I use the history functions a lot for my temp/hum devices.  The YoLink hub is critical as all communications goes through it.  The negative is the dependance on devices which are dependant to external servers.  There is debate on how much now and some hope (promises?) from yo-link that the api will not require calls to momma to operate at some point (thoughts on local api to hub I think).  I am normally a tinfoil hat guy and want everything local but have strayed a bit with these devices because of the rock solid nature of their chosen protocol.  The LoRa protocol gives such good distances it works well for sensors inside fridges or leak sensors on floors.  I even home-made a few LoRa devices but the YoLink were so easy to use I haven't completed the project.

I have about 20 or so YoLink devices temp, leak, and water-valve are all really nice.  Used two switches to make a three-way at a friends vacation home who had the leak, water-valve already (no UD there).  The switches are not as high quality as Insteon so do not recommend, but I used the direct linking feature and wanted to try them out.  That is the other thing the direct linking feature I do use to switch my water valve with really critical leak sensors which gets by my tin-foil hat issue.

So bottom line you NEED a Polisy/eisy to use this node server.  I will argue you will enjoy the other features of the new hardware and node server eco system.  I also do understand looking at your 994 and feeling like you are betraying a loyal friend. (I keep mine powered on and updated; it makes me feel better.). I do also wanted to integrate all into your Insteon system, I have tried the Z-wave sensors and am not a fan so far (the matter board is a real improvement & my two z-wave switches which I bought in the dark times are working much better now.)

Anyway, I have experimented a bunch and still think Insteon makes the best switch.  I am though very happy with the YoLink integration with specific devices.  I also use the node servers for a Sonos, MyQ (garage door), OpenSprinkler, Plex, weather, virtual, ping, timedata, location....