How to migrate to ZMatter Z-Wave using an ISY-994 Backup

Chris Jahn

36 minutes ago, SteveT said:

Any special handling of battery devices or all transparent?

If a battery device is not awake, the initial interview will fail, and you will see the device nodes as 'placeholders'.  When the device wakes up it should start an interview and thus migrate the device.

• Thanks 2

I used the instructions as written.  I have a single z-wave device left in placeholder mode.  I have had problems with it before so it may just be a fault in the switch.

My Door locks were detected and function properly using the old ISY-944 program.

8 z-wave devices

23 Insteon devices

6 programs 

I am pleased with the outcome.  Thank you. 

Edited by Irakandjii

After following the steps , Insteon devices are fine, but all ZWave devices are disabled and are marked as (placeholder).

I don't see any sign of the interview process running in the log or event viewer, and zwave xray for "DH Controller" and "DH All Devices", says:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><RestResponse succeeded="false"><status>404</status></RestResponse>

Any ideas on what I can do to get the zwave migration to start? 

Edited by stevesreed
On 1/14/2023 at 12:27 PM, stevesreed said:

After following the steps , Insteon devices are fine, but all ZWave devices are disabled and are marked as (placeholder).

I don't see any sign of the interview process running in the log or event viewer, and zwave xray for "DH Controller" and "DH All Devices", says:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><RestResponse succeeded="false"><status>404</status></RestResponse>

After doing the restore, my Polisy w/Zwave ran for a while, and then I received a similar error.   Looking further into it, the Zwave ZMatter board was no longer recognized.  I powered down, rebooted, nothing.  Perhaps the same happed with your h/w.  You should open a ticket, I am waiting for their response.

Steve

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, SteveT said:

You should open a ticket, I am waiting for their response.

I restored the IoX on the Polisy to the back up from before the migration attempt, and tried to add a Z-Wave device. The Z-Wave menu is there, but selecting Add or Remove does not do anything. so I suspect you are right the board is not responding. I'll open a ticket.

Edited by stevesreed
  • Sad 1
On 1/14/2023 at 9:27 AM, stevesreed said:

I had the same issue all my Zwave devices were marked as placeholder, I ran a sync with interview and all but two devices were found snd added. I am running into some issues with programs, very flaky, sometimes they run slowly other times don’t run at all from a switch trigger , yet work fine when running a “ run then” from the admin console. Also the zwave scenes will run from the admin console but never from a switch. I am all Zwave now but still have the ISY944 listed in Polyglot3, although the ISY944 in unplugged. btw using a Zmatter board.

1 hour ago, trevorst said:

I had the same issue all my Zwave devices were marked as placeholder, I ran a sync with interview and all but two devices were found snd added. I am running into some issues with programs, very flaky, sometimes they run slowly other times don’t run at all from a switch trigger , yet work fine when running a “ run then” from the admin console. Also the zwave scenes will run from the admin console but never from a switch. I am all Zwave now but still have the ISY944 listed in Polyglot3, although the ISY944 in unplugged. btw using a Zmatter board.

Check to see in status if your programs have yellow icon, if they do then just update a line and re-save... this is common during migrating that programs get disabled from running.

Regarding your Z-Wave scenes, ZMatter works differently than old ZWave 500 series and you need to use and set the correct nodes now for proper scene control. See this thread in particular for guideline how to do this for Z-Wave direct associations, and further down it is explained how to use the old way (which old ISY software used), using Scene Buttons (which is also required for controlling Insteon devices).

@brians Thanks I was aware of the need to open and save and all of mine were opened and saved. Seems like they fail a lot of the time because they are too slow, at times they were will work after a few minutes and never faster than 10 seconds.

Will take a look at the thread you posted and see if I can figure it out. The other thought I have is that I still have my ISY944 connected to Polyglot though it has the power removed and that be causing the slow issue. Do not want to remove it in case I need to revert.

On 1/11/2023 at 6:24 PM, Chris Jahn said:

Your ISY-994 backup must itself contain a backup of your Z-Wave Network on ISY-994. 

On your ISY-994

1) Make a backup of your Z-Wave network (creates a file in ISY)

2) Make a backup of your ISY-994 

3) Power down your ISY-994 (very important).  ISY-994 needs to be powered off because when you migrate, both your ISY-994 and Polisy/eisy will think they are controlling the network.

On your Polisy / eisy

1) Make sure 5.5.3 is installed

2) Make a backup of your Polisy / eisy (File | Backup ISY)

3) Unplug any non-ZMatter Z-Wave dongle (e.g. Zooz), and plug in your ZMatter Z-Wave dongle.  If you have a ZMatter Z-Wave board then you would power down Polisy, add it, then power on again.

4) Use (File | Restore ISY) to restore your ISY-994 backup. 

When your Polisy/eisy restarts, it automatically migrates and creates the new nodes, does the device interviews etc.

If you don't actually change your Z-Wave network by adding/removing devices after migration, you can always back out the migration by connecting whatever Z-Wave dongle you were using before migration and restoring the regular backup (from step 2). 

Is the issue with the corrupt migration that occurred December resolved with this?  I'm looking to migrate 100% from my ISY994 with Internal Zwave board to my Polisy with ZMatter and this sounds like the process for that.   I can no longer find the previous ZMatter post that called out the corruption issue as the posts were recategorized

36 minutes ago, Steve L said:

My Zmatter dongle appears to be DOA. No matter what I do, or what support suggests, the Eisy says there is no Zmatter dongle. Internal logs show the Eisy trying but getting no data back. I hope Monday will have a new response from support with next steps.

1.  Did you try the ZMatter board on your Polisy to see if it works on it ?

2. Did you put the board in the enclosure yourself or did it come assembled ?

I put it myself and it was not easy as it does not really fit and it could have connected inside the enclosure.

51 minutes ago, Steve L said:

My Zmatter dongle appears to be DOA. No matter what I do, or what support suggests, the Eisy says there is no Zmatter dongle. Internal logs show the Eisy trying but getting no data back. I hope Monday will have a new response from support with next steps.

If you assembled the z-wave dongle yourself, please be aware the full zmatter board does not really fit in the dongle. 

Please see this post, the final recommendation that came from a ticket with Michel is that the top of the zmatter board has to be removed or snapped off to achieve a proper fit into the connector and easily screwed into place with the screws that were provided. 

It is possible that is your board isn’t probably seated it might account for your problems. 

3 minutes ago, ISY4Me said:

If you assembled the z-wave dongle yourself, please be aware the full zmatter board does not really fit in the dongle. 

Please see this post, the final recommendation that came from a ticket with Michel is that the top of the zmatter board has to be removed or snapped off to achieve a proper fit into the connector and easily screwed into place with the screws that were provided. 

It is possible that is your board isn’t probably seated it might account for your problems. 

You are exactly right.  I did not remove the top part but was able to make it fit, but it is tilted. One of the 2 antenna pins on the board kept coming off and I hope that it stays on. 

I don't want to re-open the enclosure while it works but I am aware that it could be an issue in the future and it may or may not work when the Zigbee firmware is released.

I am, after so many difficulties in recent times, getting the ambition to make the transition to IoP from the legacy -994.  I am trying to follow the instructions on the wiki and want to be sure to be precise.  In step three of the wiki is:

1. Wiki step 3:  "Backup your 994's Z-Wave dongle (Admin Console | Z-Wave | Utilities | Backup | Full)"

Unfortunately, I see no "Utilities" option under Z-Wave, nor do I see a "Full" option.  Yes, I am on 5.3.4.  Is this a problem?  Why do the instructions not match my admin panel options?

Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 3.31.46 PM.png

Edited by oberkc

Thanks.  I would have assumed something like that.  I also assume what is now called "Backup" is what was formerly called "Full".  

Unfortunately, these are the types of details that cause me some loss of confidence.  This wiki page has been recently quoted as the latest migration process, which includes updating to ISY 5.3.4 (step 1, which cannot be done with 300 series z-wave dongle).  Things can go wrong when one gets careless with the details.

3 hours ago, oberkc said:

I am, after so many difficulties in recent times, getting the ambition to make the transition to IoP from the legacy -994.  I am trying to follow the instructions on the wiki and want to be sure to be precise.  In step three of the wiki is:

1. Wiki step 3:  "Backup your 994's Z-Wave dongle (Admin Console | Z-Wave | Utilities | Backup | Full)"

Unfortunately, I see no "Utilities" option under Z-Wave, nor do I see a "Full" option.  Yes, I am on 5.3.4.  Is this a problem?  Why do the instructions not match my admin panel options?

Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 3.31.46 PM.png

Not sure when the last update to wiki was done, but Chris's post in the thread below is the latest instructions and a little clearer.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, oberkc said:

Is not the thread you referenced the one we are in, and currently corresponding?

Yes, however, your post referenced the wiki instructions, not the ones Chris posted above. The instructions above are a little clearer and I wanted to make sure you remembered it was there. My link takes you right to his post containing the updated instructions.

7 minutes ago, DennisC said:

Yes, however, your post referenced the wiki instructions, not the ones Chris posted above. The instructions above are a little clearer and I wanted to make sure you remembered it was there. My link takes you right to his post containing the updated instructions.

Fair enough.  Of course, the instructions here were limited to z-wave migration.  I was performing entire -994 > IoP migration.