New EISY networking issue with DHCP

jamesm007
Go to solution Solved by Geddy,

Got my shiny new eisy today, very excited! My 4th UDI device.
Added the MAC address to the DHCP server on pfSense (like 80 other devices)
Powered it up, the launcher found it, and I logged in.

DId the migration, and loaded a backup, Insteon works.

Now, the timezone was wrong, and could not change it, kept going home to LA. So, maybe a upgrade needed.

Now, it did not auto upgrade to current, still on 5.4.5. Migrate Modules says all okay, but puts errors in the log.

Obviously works on the local network, but does not go out.

My network shows the image below.

No gateway, no DNS etc. Cannot change to put in static info to override the blank fields.

So, no email notifications or Pushover.net.

Any idea on this weird deal?

Thanks

image.png.4c31e715d0102c5ba45138f256ecfb73.png

And as a side note, it definetely gets out, as it has registered itself in the my.isy.io

But, this could easily have been the UDI app on Android that I used to scan the label on the bottom of the device.

I did see two green buttons in the portal, but now only one.

image.png.d5f903cea4f21f3ae05eaeb65dd7cc4c.png

2 hours ago, DennisC said:

eisy is not designed to manually set the IP related settings. It currently only works with DHCP.

You need to upgrade to the latest version before doing anything else. Take a backup and then press upgrade packages.

Actually that's how ALL configurable network devices work. This has nothing to do with the ISY. If he want to configure the ISY to use a STATIC IP. He should assign the IP via the Router Admin. However the configuration input is standard on all network configurable devices as a "FAIL SAFE" in the event that the DHCP fails while systems are already online within the LAN the device can still be found at the reserved address and will not effect the DHCP when restored.

Cheers!

TRI0N

8 minutes ago, TRI0N said:

Actually that's how ALL configurable network devices work. This has nothing to do with the ISY. If he want to configure the ISY to use a STATIC IP. He should assign the IP via the Router Admin. However the configuration input is standard on all network configurable devices as a "FAIL SAFE" in the event that the DHCP fails while systems are already online within the LAN the device can still be found at the reserved address and will not effect the DHCP when restored.

Cheers!

TRI0N

I think he's referring to how most people who aren't familiar with networking would do so at the device itself. That cannot be done with the eisy

• Like 1
10 hours ago, jamesm007 said:

Got my shiny new eisy today, very excited! My 4th UDI device.
Added the MAC address to the DHCP server on pfSense (like 80 other devices)
Powered it up, the launcher found it, and I logged in.

DId the migration, and loaded a backup, Insteon works.

Now, the timezone was wrong, and could not change it, kept going home to LA. So, maybe a upgrade needed.

Now, it did not auto upgrade to current, still on 5.4.5. Migrate Modules says all okay, but puts errors in the log.

Obviously works on the local network, but does not go out.

My network shows the image below.

No gateway, no DNS etc. Cannot change to put in static info to override the blank fields.

So, no email notifications or Pushover.net.

Any idea on this weird deal?

Thanks

image.png.4c31e715d0102c5ba45138f256ecfb73.png

The current release is 5.5.3 of ISY.. I can indeed select a new time zone under 5.5.3.

Networking is not your issue. I would unplug your eISY, wait 30 seconds, plug it back in and let it boot up, then perform a Upgrade Packages to get to 5.5.3. There is suppose to be Beeps 4 +1 I'm told but I cannot confirm this because I'm deaf so, I waited 30 minutes on one of my eISY's then just opened the launcher and close it till it finally showed the new version being installed before going into the Admin. 

Cheers!

TRI0N

So, not asking to set a static IP, but the networking is not running.
eisy cannot reach the outside world.

The other fields in the Network Settings group are blank, which is suspicious.

This IP (.130) is in the "router", as a reserved address in dhcpd on pfSense, just like the existing 994i.

Do other eisy users have their Networks Settings have blank subnet/gateway/dns?

10 hours ago, jamesm007 said:

If you just got the eisy and it shows IoX version of 5.4.5 then it needs to update. When you log into the web dashboard of the eisy what is the version of PG3x? 

There was previously an issue with updating devices around that version, but I thought UD reported that was corrected and devices should update correctly again.

If it is not then please open a support ticket - https://www.universal-devices.com/my-tickets

IoX current version = 5.5.3

PG3x current version = 3.1.18

(as of time of this posting - referenced here: https://forum.universal-devices.com/forum/339-current-release-announcements/)

1 hour ago, jamesm007 said:

So, not asking to set a static IP, but the networking is not running.
eisy cannot reach the outside world.

The other fields in the Network Settings group are blank, which is suspicious.

This IP (.130) is in the "router", as a reserved address in dhcpd on pfSense, just like the existing 994i.

Do other eisy users have their Networks Settings have blank subnet/gateway/dns?

Yes, both my eisy and Polisy leave the other network settings blank when using DHCP.  Only the IP address is shown.

Thanks for all the info.

It took pulling the power, reboots etc were not enough to get it to Upgrade Modules.

Once it came back online, I could do the Upgrade Modules, and now on 5.5.3.
And the timezone holds, not off by 4 hours. Woohoo!

But under networking, I still cannot use Pushover.net. Email notifications work fine.
Many events would call Pushover to notify me about issues, water detection, temperature, movement while away.
This was fine for years with the 994i, and I have a valid Network Module License.

I get a "Error- Request Failed" and an entry in the log. Not sure if it is a DNS or some other error.

image.thumb.png.ed7fb912f8e092e7383736c45d358b75.png

Bingo, bingo, bingo!
I am usually very good at following docs, but apparently I missed that exact step.

I think everything is working now, thanks for all of the great help.

The node server version is very slick compared to the REST method, but with the REST method, I can specify a priority (like HIGH for water leaks) that are mandatory confirmation to turn off the beeping. Which is great, as I actually had a sewer backup in the basement, and it forced me to get there right now.

Cheers!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, jamesm007 said:

The node server version is very slick compared to the REST method, but with the REST method, I can specify a priority (like HIGH for water leaks) that are mandatory confirmation to turn off the beeping. Which is great, as I actually had a sewer backup in the basement, and it forced me to get there right now.

Cheers!

Glad you got it working.

By the way, you can do the same with the Node Server, along with a selection of different sounds.