Migrate ISY994i (5.3.4) to Eisy (5.5.7) and start.win

BWalsack
Go to solution Solved by BWalsack,

Migrate ISY994i (5.3.4) to Eisy (5.5.7)

Recently purchased an eisy and cable from UD, and feel I've have migrated (nodes are functional) to the eisy. I have maybe 25 Insteon hardwired devices that are working fine with my isy994i (Firmware 5.3.4) and a 2413S PLM (2.4.2817), the eisy has 5.5.7 firmware. I do not have a Z-Wave network. I also have the mobile app installed on my andriod phone.

Initially I was confused with the Admin Console configuration portal and the ISY Portal and now have a better understanding of each.

When I opened IoX Finder before migration it showed both devices. Under name the eisy shows IoX, under for the 994i it shows ISY. Backups were done on both devices and the PLM was plugged into the eisy. Went ahead and restored the 994i backup to the eisy. Went to the eisy configuration tab and enabled INSTEON Suppport. User name and password to the same as the 994i. Feels good, right? Save and close eisy admin console. I open IoX Launcher again and under name the eisy shows ISY, under for the 994i it shows ISY. Can controll nodes on the eisy, but no Alexa or Google Assistant.

Finally figured out where the ISY Portal and Migrate To option was and went ahead and did that. Alexa or Google Assistant funtionality worked.

Questions:

• Did I loose IoX when I restored 994i backup to the eisy (IoX Finder says the name for the eisy is ISY)?
  • Before I did all this, I was able to run Start.win on the eisy and it worked fine, nice desktop with a house. After restore and migration to the eisy, UD app works, can controll nodes, but Start.win is funky, desktop has a rat on it, no taskbar. I have to ctrl alt delete out.

Opened a ticket, confused Michel quite a bit, thought I try here for some insight from the group.

Thanks, Bo

1 hour ago, BWalsack said:

Did I loose IoX when I restored 994i backup to the eisy (IoX Finder says the name for the eisy is ISY)?

I imagine these are just the names of the devices. If you’re in admin console what is the first item listed in the tree for the eisy? Is it “ISY”? IoX Finder window will usually reference the “name” of the device you are connecting to. Since you restored the “ISY” backup into the eisy it is now named “ISY”. You can change the folder name to IoX and clear Java cache then reload start.jnlp and it should reference IoX again. I’ve named mine something else and it shows up in my Finder with that “name”. 

1 hour ago, BWalsack said:

Before I did all this, I was able to run Start.win on the eisy and it worked fine, nice desktop with a house.

What is “start.win”? This is probably where you confused Michel. Not sure what app/service/device you’re talking about. Maybe a screenshot or more details. 

Sounds like you got everything else figured out and migrated properly. Congrats! 

49 minutes ago, Geddy said:

I imagine these are just the names of the devices. If you’re in admin console what is the first item listed in the tree for the eisy? Is it “ISY”? IoX Finder window will usually reference the “name” of the device you are connecting to. Since you restored the “ISY” backup into the eisy it is now named “ISY”. You can change the folder name to IoX and clear Java cache then reload start.jnlp and it should reference IoX again. I’ve named mine something else and it shows up in my Finder with that “name”. 

What is “start.win”? This is probably where you confused Michel. Not sure what app/service/device you’re talking about. Maybe a screenshot or more details. 

Sounds like you got everything else figured out and migrated properly. Congrats! 

Geddy, thanks for the reply and renaming tip.

Start.win is an eisy, maybe freebsd question, not sure. I have the eisy hooked up to a monitor so when it boots I can see whats going on. Once it boots I can log in with admin/admin. (terminal / bash freebsd login, maybe) At the next prompt I can enter start.win which opens a windows UI. I've experienced 2 different desktops once start.win opens. The first desktop UI functioned properly before I migrated 994i to the eisy. After the migration to the eisy, when accessing freebsd with admin/admin and at the next prompt enter start.win I get a different desktop similar to the first but with a rat on it and no taskbar, must use ctrl alt delete to exit that screen. I'm not sure why.

10 hours ago, BWalsack said:

Start.win is an eisy, maybe freebsd question, not sure. I have the eisy hooked up to a monitor so when it boots I can see whats going on.

Interesting. Can’t help on that then. My eisy is not in an area I can connect a monitor to so just use admin console.

12 minutes ago, Geddy said:

Interesting. Can’t help on that then. My eisy is not in an area I can connect a monitor to so just use admin console.

This is from the eisy guide:

Using eisy In Desktop Computer Mode

Yes, you can use eisy as a beautiful desktop running a lean version of XFCE on FreeBSD!

Attaching HDMI Ports

1. Click the power button 6 times and wait for eisy to shutdown
  2. Attach your monitor(s) to the HDMI port(s)
  3. Click the power button to turn on eisy
  4. When you see the login prompt, login with your credentials (default = admin/admin)
  5. Type start.win at the prompt, accept the licenses, enter your credentials again and voila!

I haven't tried it either and right now I can not think of a reason to try it out.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Solution
On 3/5/2023 at 11:19 AM, Geddy said:

Just a heads-up on my start.win issue, that I discovered myself, is that if your monitor is plugged into HDMI 2, you will get a XFCE desktop with a mouse on the backround. If you connected your HDMI cable into HDMI port 1 you'll get a different XFCE desktop backround all together. Had me stumped for a while.

• Thanks 1