Insteon PLMs preorder 3/21/2023

Techman

Hello, 

Since you signed up to be notified when Insteon USB (2413U) and serial (2413S) modems (PLM’s) are available, we wanted to let you know that you can now place a pre-order for them.  

USB PLM https://shop.insteon.com/products/plm-usb-modem-interface 

Serial PLM: https://shop.insteon.com/products/plm-serial-modem-interface  

We expect to begin shipping PLM’s next month. Quantities are limited so we encourage you to pre-order as soon as possible. Please note that only one PLM can be pre-ordered per customer.

If you have any questions, you can contact us at orders@insteon.com

Thank you, 

Ken and the Insteon team 

Feedback Form Link: https://www.insteon.com/general-feedback

UPDATE: I just spoke with Insteon to inquire about the upcoming PLM "hardware  improvements" The answer I received was that the link capacity remains unchanged, and they had no info on the hardware improvements.

Edited by Techman
Update
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That would be a RJ45 Serial to USB cable, right? Searching for Serial to USB cable returns a whole bunch of DB9 to USB cables.

I just ordered the serial as I still have the ISY994i. But want to make sure I can use it on a newer eisy.

Edited by nowandthen

To use the serial PLM on the eisy you can purchase the serial to USB cable conversion kit from the UD Store, or purchase the individual items from Amazon,

Serial PLM Kit - Universal Devices (universal-devices.com)

1. DB9 to RJ45 converter (Amazon Part)
  2. RS232 to USB converter (Amazon Part  Pinout )
  3. 3ft Ethernet cable

Edited by Techman

36 minutes ago, EW1 said:

The serial PLM should come with the RJ45 to DB9 cable, so should only need the DB9 to USB cable (at least they used to come with it).

Correct. If you get the serial version.

Since the USB is also available for pre-order just go with the USB version and not have to worry about additional cables. That is if you're going to use it with the Polisy or eisy. As @nowandthen stated they got the serial version to use with the existing ISY994.

The extra cable just adds unnecessary clutter to the cable management system (or lack there of for some) and another possible component failure to have to troubleshoot should there be an issue. (IMO)

27 minutes ago, waank1 said:

Does anyone know if the new one will incorporate new technology or is it an exact clone of the existing one?

Nothing known here beyond the email everybody received. To guess would just be speculation until somebody confirmed directly with Insteon. 

Probably best to email/contact Insteon directly:

https://www.insteon.com/contact-us

1 hour ago, waank1 said:

Got an E-mail today saying I could pre-order the new PLM.  Does anyone know if the new one will incorporate new technology or is it an exact clone of the existing one?

Read the 1st post in this thread

34 minutes ago, ctviggen1 said:

Well, that sucks. So, I paid almost $100 for something that's no different than what I have now?

Anyone know what the last revision was?  Mine is revision "2.4 1817", and model 2413S.

If/when they come out with the newest version, it would have a completely different model number than the old product line (it will also look different).

I don't know, it seems to have the same model number and looks exactly the same.  Now, whether it has a different revision number, I don't know.

I was just wondering if I already had the latest revision of PLM, so if there was nothing new, I could keep this $100 PLM as a backup, or whether I should replace my old version for whatever improvements there might be (and keep my old one as a backup). 

I got the PLM I have now because a previous one failed.  It would be nice to have a backup. 

4 hours ago, ctviggen1 said:

Anyone know what the last revision was?  Mine is revision "2.4 1817", and model 2413S.

Probably get more accurate information asking Insteon directly. If they've received the recent shipment they can at least tell you what version they're calling the current production runs. But @lilyoyo1 is right (and basically confirmed by @Techman in edited OP), that using the same part numbers basically implies that it's the same build as before. 

But just for reference: Serial PLM (2413s) received in January 2021 is Revision 2.6 and date code was 4520.

I think others got some around that same time and might have been the last time they were available from prior Insteon.

Thanks, Getty. That's all I needed to know.  My current PLM is a lower version (2.4), so if the current PLM is just what 2.6 is, I assume there could be a benefit in using the new PLM (whatever occurred from 2.4 to 2.6).  I'll keep the old PLM (and cord) just in case.

HA! "Getty" @ctviggen1 no worries. Glad to give the info.

I'm not sure what's the big hope to use a newer version if your current PLM is working just fine. I'd rather use the current device until it wasn't reliable rather than use a new device and then have a "used" device as the fall back. That's why I'm keeping my spare PLM as "NIB" (new, in box) status until it's absolutely necessary. Which I hope is no time soon, but at least there is hope that PLM will be available regularly in the future. And even better that my next spare might be a much improved product. 

I'm not willing to unplug my working PLM to check the version/date on that one, but thankfully it's been running since 2017 so I'm not going to risk issues at this point. 

I'm not a person with any retail manufacturing experience, but just my theory would assume there probably wasn't anything actually changed in "versions" for the old Insteon. It's probably just a way for them to track production batches and/or years that some components were used. Somebody that might have more firsthand knowledge/experience of the insides to describe the different versions. Or could confirm if there was indeed any difference from 2.4 to 2.6. I think @Brian H (and maybe others) may have documented changes from very early versions to later versions, but not sure if specifics have been made for such a "small" version change. 

Good points.  I also seem to remember that changing PLMs was not a simple matter of unplugging one and plugging another one in.  I remember they were mapped somehow to the program, so that (re)mapping had to be redone.

So, I'll keep this new one as a spare.

46 minutes ago, ctviggen1 said:

Good points.  I also seem to remember that changing PLMs was not a simple matter of unplugging one and plugging another one in.  I remember they were mapped somehow to the program, so that (re)mapping had to be redone.

So, I'll keep this new one as a spare.

Every Insteon device in your system contains links which contain the PLMs hardware address. (just like switches etc, the PLM has an Insteon address in the form 12.34.0B)  When the PLM is changed, ALL of your insteon devices must be updated with the new address.   Yes, for large systems it's large project that can result in hours of "system busy" and there will probably be errors along the way that require some devices to be "restore device" again after all is done.   Changing the PLM is not something to be done on a whim.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBill said:

Changing the PLM is not something to be done on a whim.

HAHAHA! Yet some around here "swap out" their PLM like changing socks. It's shocking sometimes that people just "swap the PLM" as a troubleshooting tip. Personally that's probably very, very last ditch effort in any line of troubleshooting I would consider. And only then would it be after a support ticket (with UDI and possibly even Insteon) and then at their suggestion to swap a PLM. :D

But I digress. Hopefully people that really NEED a PLM are able to pre-order one and get one to get their system running again. If all ISY/Polisy/eisy users order one just to have as a spare it's possible somebody that really needs one for a non-functioning system would miss out when needed. Hopefully Insteon has a good supply rolling in and more beyond an initial shipment. 🤞

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just got this email:

Dear Bill

We're just reaching out to let you know that pre-orders for the PLM (2413U and 2413S) began shipping Monday, April 10. However, due to overwhelming demand, processing times for these shipments may be extended. All pre-orders are expected to ship in the next few days. We thank you in advance for your patience and understanding. 

Rest assured that although we are also accepting new orders for this item, all pre-orders already have inventory allocated to them. 

Thank you, 
The Insteon Team 
  • Like 1