Scene to turn lights off

Fredo

Newbie here,

Help please setting up a scene to turn a list of lights off at Bedtime.  I am using version 5.5.3.  I have a list of lamplincs that I want to turn off using a scene called Bed Time:

Pic1.thumb.jpg.f1a5c0a1fef37a4dad415eeb513ca89c.jpg

In my ISY, when I turn ON the "Bed Time" scene, the lights go off.  I have entered the "Bed Time" scene into my UD Portal account with the spoken label as "Good Night".  In my Alexa I discovered the scenes and Bed Time is indeed there.  When I tell Alexa "Good Night" nothing happens.  Where do I tell the Bed Time scene to turn off the lights?  Should the "Action" for each of the devices shown above be "On"?  Please help.

56 minutes ago, Fredo said:

When I tell Alexa "Good Night" nothing happens

As it should.  If you said "Alexa turn Good Night on" then you should see your lights go off.  To shorten the phrase to "Good Night"  create a routine in Alex with a spoken trigger of "Good Night" and an action that turns on your scene.

Edited by tmorse305
3 hours ago, Fredo said:

When I tell Alexa "Good Night" nothing happens

As @tmorse305 suggests a routine would be the way to make a simple phrase trigger an action. Be careful using just “good night” though. At some point in the past Amazon thought it would help by having Echo reply to a “Good Night” with some smart-ass quip. So I changed my “good night” trigger to, “Alexa, tell Amazon you’re programmers are f*ing tools”. The first time I wrote that out for a house guest staying the night they thought I was joking…until I uttered the phrase and everything turned off - in order. 

Now, I will also caution this…perhaps a program would be better suited for this process as you can control what order lights go out. Mine start at one side of the house and move to the other (as if I’m heading to bed). We don’t have a big house, but being able to time the lights from the kitchen to the master closet really helps keep enough light up during the walk to bed. 

The program can be disabled and not have an “IF” statement so it’s only triggered by Alexa/voice or a routine (or other methods).  “Alexa, turn “program X” on”, runs the “THEN”, and “Alexa, turn “program X” off”, runs the “ELSE”. 

35 minutes ago, Geddy said:

Be careful using just “good night” though.

My "Good Night" routine works without an issue.  Maybe something changed (again) since you last tried it.

I say "Good Night" from bed so the order is not important.  I do use a program as you suggested, that way I can include a check to make sure all the doors are locked.  If one is left unlocked Alexa will let me know.

• Like 1