Linking is stuck.

oh2bnMaine

I see this may have happened to others in the past? 

I'm in a situation where I mis-clicked on Add ZWave on my phone app. I got out of that and went into Linking an Insteon device. The process seemed to work, but the device was never added. The Linking process does what the original poster (link provided) describes. It keeps re-starting the Linking dialog box after reaching 100%. 

Here's what I currently see. I can get rid of the ProxyDevice message, but it will come back eventually. I've opened the Event Viewer and don't see much information there. As of this writing, the last log entry was at 2:14pm. It is currently 2:31pm.

image.png.efcd7a9d48e9778047db320ed4d46ae6.png

I've even tried hitting the reboot button in Config, but the Linking dialog showed up right after I logged in again. When I open the app on my phone, it gives me the "linking" message (1, press & hold SET button; 2, repeat; 3, finish; 4, UD Mobile sync).

image.png.60365911fcf22ea8714c4bbdd64aa4bf.png

What should I be trying to resolve this?

17 hours ago, oh2bnMaine said:

I see this may have happened to others in the past? 

I'm in a situation where I mis-clicked on Add ZWave on my phone app. I got out of that and went into Linking an Insteon device. The process seemed to work, but the device was never added. The Linking process does what the original poster (link provided) describes. It keeps re-starting the Linking dialog box after reaching 100%. 

Here's what I currently see. I can get rid of the ProxyDevice message, but it will come back eventually. I've opened the Event Viewer and don't see much information there. As of this writing, the last log entry was at 2:14pm. It is currently 2:31pm.

image.png.efcd7a9d48e9778047db320ed4d46ae6.png

I've even tried hitting the reboot button in Config, but the Linking dialog showed up right after I logged in again. When I open the app on my phone, it gives me the "linking" message (1, press & hold SET button; 2, repeat; 3, finish; 4, UD Mobile sync).

image.png.60365911fcf22ea8714c4bbdd64aa4bf.png

What should I be trying to resolve this?

Try deleting device and do a factory reset. After that, re-link it.

I realized after posting that I was rebooting the ISY but not powering it off. I tried the power recycle and that seemed to help. I still got the ProxyDevice IO Error message for a bit longer, but that has stopped it seems.

image.png.ca8c955555f00a89ee2ce1d3cf58720e.png

Time to take a new backup. I was realizing my backup didn't have the last 10~ 2477D's that I installed! Now I'm up to 20~ 2477D's not in my backup. 

@oh2bnMaine how are you accessing the admin console? Are you using IoX Launcher icon from the desktop? (used to be called ISY Launcher)

The screen shot appears to be from Admin Console, but I've seen other people mention this error and are accessing it somehow through the old dashboard method. It's possible you're accessing it oddly and having network issues.

What OS computer are you using to access Admin Console? Make sure you're using the ISY/IoX Launcher method mention in the Current Release area of the forums and suggested in the Wiki.

1 hour ago, oh2bnMaine said:

I'm using this... 

image.thumb.png.c95ef477fe55a911d40f9786e20ef434.png

I'm using Windows 11. Java 1.08_361-b09.

I've been using the same 5.3.3 launcher for a long time. I just downloaded the newest jnlp. We'll see how that does.

I assume that's a typo since the build portion matches:

image.png.4cd7f9f2e7a532e44f6c068283326731.png

but to be clear are you using Java 8, update 361?

5 hours ago, oh2bnMaine said:

I've been using the same 5.3.3 launcher for a long time.

I doubt it will help your linking issue, but you should have upgraded to 5.3.4 when it came out in 2021. Being on an older build is not helpful and very few would probably remember any tips/tricks for that version. 

Read the update steps to get up to 5.3.4 found in the release post. Once updated clear java cache (be sure to select/check all three boxes in the process) then download a new start.jnlp file from UDI's site. Run that to put the IoX Launcher icon back on your desktop.

Some have said there were issues with Win11 and Java, but the process should work just like it always has. I don't run Win11 yet so can't say first hand if you need to watch out for anything.

Before logging into admin console for the first time if your system has a lot of available memory then set the min/max Java setting as mentioned in the release post to at least 1024 for both. (-Xms indicates the minimum and -Xmx the maximum)

Good luck. Looks as though most your problems went away after a full power cycle of the ISY994. 

On 3/27/2023 at 4:28 PM, Geddy said:

Some have said there were issues with Win11 and Java, but the process should work just like it always has.

negative.  Win11 and Java 8 from www.java.com are just like Win10 and Java 8 from www.java.com, no difference whatsoever... Been on win 11 for a long time, nothing different with admin console.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, MrBill said:

Been on win 11 for a long time, nothing different with admin console.

True...those that use the system regularly don't seem to have problems. Only a small few seem to have issues; those are the vocal ones about it. 

On 3/27/2023 at 1:53 PM, MrBill said:

I assume that's a typo since the build portion matches:

image.png.4cd7f9f2e7a532e44f6c068283326731.png

but to be clear are you using Java 8, update 361?

Yes. 8-361. 

Sorry for the delay, I have been away from my computer for a couple of days.

I will update to 5.3.4 regardless. Thanks for reminding me!

• Like 1