Time to upgrade from ISY to EISY

BMarking
Go to solution Solved by lilyoyo1,

I have pre-ordered the USB PLM and it is time to retire the old, faithful ISY994. I have two questions.

1) What is the maximum practical length for the USB cable from the EISY to the PLM? Although the EISY is probably USB 3.x, I am guessing that the PLM is 2.x. Can I get away with a 15’ cable?

2) My plan is to wait until I am notified that the PLM is shipping, to order the EISY. My reasoning is that if the PLM doesn’t ship for a month or more, I want to have the latest EISY available. Is there any reason that I should not wait?

Even though I have had my ISY for many years, I am running 5.3.4 firmware and an all Insteon system so I should expect a relatively trouble free migration.

• Solution
1 hour ago, BMarking said:

I have pre-ordered the USB PLM and it is time to retire the old, faithful ISY994. I have two questions.

1) What is the maximum practical length for the USB cable from the EISY to the PLM? Although the EISY is probably USB 3.x, I am guessing that the PLM is 2.x. Can I get away with a 15’ cable?

2) My plan is to wait until I am notified that the PLM is shipping, to order the EISY. My reasoning is that if the PLM doesn’t ship for a month or more, I want to have the latest EISY available. Is there any reason that I should not wait?

Even though I have had my ISY for many years, I am running 5.3.4 firmware and an all Insteon system so I should expect a relatively trouble free migration.

The eisy is brand new- you'll get the latest model regardless of when you order it. At most you'll have to update the firmware which youd have to do anyway due to when firmwares can be pushed out and you receiving your product...no different than most consumer electronics nowadays. 

You can wait but then you run into the possibility of UDI being out of stock when you're ready. 

No one can really say what you will experience.  There are many here that hasn't had issues and others who have. I'd peruse the eisy channel to see others experiences and decide whether or not you're ready to chance things. That way you can make an informed decision.  Personally, I think you will be ok but with everyone's system being unique, only you can decide that. 

There are a few posts on here with others using long cables without issue. 

There was a post earlier asking about this and it was closed but this is the answer you are looking for. Anything that says it's USB 3.x has a maximum cable length of 59 feet. Otherwise it wouldn't be USB 3.x. I also recommend if you are running this through walls where low and high voltage cross paths, that you use a good shielded cable (gonna cost more) to protect against EMF interferences. 

Cheers!

TRI0N

• Like 1