AI and home automation

asbril

For fun I asked Bard (Google's AI) what is the optimum home automation system ?

The answer (remember it is a machine's answer) but it is simple and quite well explained :

The optimum home automation system is one that is tailored to the specific needs and preferences of the homeowner. It should be easy to use, reliable, and secure. It should also be compatible with a wide range of devices and appliances, so that it can be used to automate a variety of tasks around the home.

There are many different home automation systems on the market, so it is important to do your research and choose one that meets your specific needs. Some factors to consider include the type of devices and appliances you want to automate, the features you need, and your budget.

Once you have chosen a home automation system, you will need to set it up and configure it. This may involve installing sensors, cameras, and other devices, as well as creating automation rules. Once your system is up and running, you will be able to control your home's devices and appliances remotely from your smartphone or tablet.

Home automation can provide a number of benefits, including:

• Increased convenience: You can automate tasks such as turning on lights, locking doors, and adjusting the thermostat, all from the comfort of your home.
  • Improved security: Home automation systems can be used to monitor your home for intruders and send alerts to your smartphone if there is a problem.
  • Energy savings: Home automation can help you save money on your energy bills by automating tasks such as turning off lights when you leave a room and adjusting the thermostat when you are away.
  • Increased comfort: Home automation can make your home more comfortable by automating tasks such as adjusting the temperature and humidity, and playing music.

If you are considering home automation, it is important to do your research and choose a system that meets your specific needs. With the right system in place, you can enjoy the many benefits of home automation.

• Like 1

It's only a "MATTER" of time before AI replies include product placement like movies and tv shows. 

PS: Hey, that's my idea so when it does I'll accept 1% royalty paid in US dollars (because we all know crypto will fail - don't believe the spammers!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@Geddy

ChatGPT has the following answer: (See the last paragraph):

There is no one "optimum" home automation system that suits everyone, as the ideal system will depend on the individual's needs, preferences, and budget. However, here are some factors to consider when choosing a home automation system:

1. Compatibility: Ensure that the automation system is compatible with the devices and appliances you have or plan to buy.

2. User Interface: The user interface should be easy to use and intuitive, whether it is a smartphone app, a wall-mounted control panel, or voice commands.

3. Expandability: The system should be expandable, so you can add new devices or features as your needs change.

4. Security: A home automation system should provide robust security features to protect your privacy and data.

5. Cost: The cost of the system should be within your budget, including installation and ongoing maintenance costs.

6. Customer Support: Choose a system from a company that offers good customer support, including warranty, technical support, and repair services.

Some popular home automation systems include Amazon Alexa, Google Home, Apple HomeKit, Samsung SmartThings, and Philips Hue. It is important to research and compare the features, compatibility, and customer reviews before making a purchase.

• Haha 1

Yes @carealtor, I fear that widespread adoption of AI will only serve to homogenize many of our choices in products available. I fear that many future "developments" will devolve into lazy "me-too" safe development and acquisition choices.

The times they are a-changing but I'm not sure it's all for the best...

To this, Chat gpt responds (Better than most politicians):

"Change is an inevitable part of life and society, and it can often be difficult to predict the long-term consequences of these changes. While some changes may bring positive benefits, others may have negative consequences.

It is important to approach change with a critical and open mind, considering the potential impacts on different groups of people and the broader societal implications. It is also important to recognize that some changes may be necessary in order to address social, economic, and environmental challenges facing us today.

However, if you have concerns about specific changes that are taking place, it may be helpful to engage in constructive dialogue with others and work towards finding solutions that benefit everyone involved. It is important to remember that change can be challenging, but it can also be an opportunity for growth and progress if approached thoughtfully and with an open mind."

Edited by gviliunas
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, gviliunas said:

Some popular home automation systems include...

Of the ones mentioned I think SmartThings might be the closest for an "Automation System" (I don't know it at all though). The others are smart stupid assistants and fancy lights. Sure, Amazon, Google Home, and HomeKit might have some "automation" settings, but they're very elementary. Glorified timers (Hue fits this category IMO). But they are what the masses see as their entry into automating household activities. 

"Tricked by circumstances; Plus ça change; Plus c'est la même chose" -Peart (Rush)

• Like 2

Careful. Amazon Alexa apps contain conditional operations that start to approximate Home Automation somewhat. Cloud based though, and they haven't thought of doing complex boolean logic ...yet.

It seems like these companies haven't come up to the logic required for real Home Automation so they are trying to redefine "Home Automation" to just simple remote control, so they don't have to. It seems to be working for 90% of the lay newbies out there.

vive la difference...non?

Edited by larryllix
  • Like 3