ISY Launcher doesn't do anything

shane4581

Trying to get to my ISY994 after updating Java and cleared cache, deleted all old start.jnlp and admin.jnlp and when I go to the wiki and click on the link for the launcher, it does download a start.jnlp.  When I double click on it however, nothing happens and nothing new shows up on the desktop or in the downloads folder.  Why is there no troubleshooting mentioned for when this step doesn't work, or another way of getting around this.  This has always been my greatest complaint for UD stuff, is this terrible process for gettign to the admin console. For the last 10 years of working with these products, this part has never worked correctly the first time...

Was planning on upgrading to the latest firmware so I could migrate to the new device, but to be honest, I'm leaning towards spending my money on a more well thought out product even if it's more expensive.  I work in IT all day, I don't want to come home to more IT work just to adjust some settings in my HA stuff..    Please forgive my ranting, this is just frustrating and it is everytime I attempt to work with it...

• Like 1

@shane4581  Windows or MacOS?   If Mac, half the users report never being able to use the Launcher, others have no problem.  I have no idea what the common denominator is.

IF MAC:  download a copy of the admin console from the ISY itself... http://IP.ADDR.GOES.HERE/admin.jnlp save it on the desktop for easy use.  Anytime you change the ISY firmware to a different version you must Rinse and Repeat.

Launcher works fine with any Win10/11.

I think it is a Mac security setting which is dependent on Mac Version.  In my opinion this is an issue with Mac OS not notifying the user and deleting or not allowing files to open without prompting the user.

Mac will alert users once about unknown developer then nothing after that for the same file. Process for allowing files from unknown developers to run depends on MacOS version.

Below is all I could find from apple, but I know this is not how I've allowed in the past.  There was a small window (maybe 5 minutes) where you are allowed to run the app after download and must open Preferences (now called System Settings) then go to, I believe, security where there will be a prompt to allow program to run.  

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/open-a-mac-app-from-an-unidentified-developer-mh40616/mac

I'm on Windows 10 on both machines I've attempted this on.

The ISY is on firmware 4.6.2  I was in the process of attemtping to upgrade to 5 so I could migrate to the new hardware but then this all happened.

Edited by shane4581
clarification
33 minutes ago, shane4581 said:

I'm on Windows 10 on both machines I've attempted this on.

The ISY is on firmware 4.6.2  I was in the process of attemtping to upgrade to 5 so I could migrate to the new hardware but then this all happened.

Have you tried power cycling the ISY?

• Like 1

Please try downloading the file directly from the ISY by using the method suggested by Mr. Bill . http://IP.ADDR.GOES.HERE/admin.jnlp  where IP.ADD.GOES.HERE is the local IP Address of your system.

Does this file download?  This skips the launcher program which downloads the correct admin.jnlp for your firmware.

Can you "open with" when right clicking the file and verify it is opening with the Java Launcher?

If the java launcher is default verify the security settings in "Advanced" are not set to "Never..." or "Do not..", then reset Java security prompts "Restore Security Prompts".

Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 2.16.03 PM.png

21 minutes ago, Javi said:

Can you "open with" when right clicking the file and verify it is opening with the Java Launcher?

If the java launcher is default verify the security settings in "Advanced" are not set to "Never..." or "Do not..", then reset Java security prompts "Restore Security Prompts".

Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 2.16.03 PM.png

It's associated with Java Web Launcher which I think is what the Wiki page says is correct. Assuming it's up to date.

image.png.9a4c8923b9c38c3b329a437ba199ab60.png

and I have added my ISY's IP to the sites list as mentioned.

I'm IN!  So while it does show that jnlp files are associated with Java web launcher, if I choose "Open With" and manually choose the Java Web Launcher when launching admin.jnlp it works!  Can we please come up with a better way to get to this stuff than this Java thing!  It's so inelegant...  I'm going to upgrade to latest firmware of the ISY but I'm going to have to seriously ponder upgrading to the Polisy device if this continues to be the only way to get into it...

Thanks again to for all who attempted to help!

Thanks again @Javi 

I'm definitely getting too old when I appear to be the only person who's not okay with using their phone for everything... I want easy access from a desktop. I've been in IT too long, I just like a real keyboard and mouse when i'm doing things.  If it's just turning lights on and off, the phone is fine, but if I'm writing a program or creating scenes a full screen is most helpful.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1