Change IoX to static IP Address

Go to solution Solved by lilyoyo1,

I've always had my ISY set to Automatic DHCP and never paid much attention to the Network Settings on the AC Configuration tab. I notice now that it's set for DHCP and greyed out so I can't change it. How do I change the network settings on my Polisy IoX? I want it static at a fixed IP address.

• Solution
50 minutes ago, vbPhil said:

I've always had my ISY set to Automatic DHCP and never paid much attention to the Network Settings on the AC Configuration tab. I notice now that it's set for DHCP and greyed out so I can't change it. How do I change the network settings on my Polisy IoX? I want it static at a fixed IP address.

Not possible. You'll have to set a reservation in your router

Edited by lilyoyo1
  • Like 1
36 minutes ago, vbPhil said:

Not perfect but doable.

Actually it's better than perfect (for 99% of the users). There has been multiple threads about this since IoP (now IoX) was released. Very few people might have a true use case for something like that, but 99%+ of the users are better served by using the solution @lilyoyo1 posts.

Many moons ago it became the suggested method of using a DHCP reservation on the router to keep the ISY994/Polisy/eisy at a known IP address. The reason has been repeated many times that so many support tickets were created due to users replacing the router. The issue always centered around somebody setting a static IP on the (old) ISY994 then changing their router and ultimately the underlying DHCP IP table. The ISY994 couldn't connect to the new DHCP table if it was a static point with a different LAN IP table. Typically most involved and (I dare say) responsible users will make note of settings and remember that things are set statically at the device level rather than at the router. Sadly, many that don't remember those things, or didn't set it up originally panicked when they replaced the router and the ISY994 didn't magically reconnect to their network. Thus resulting in a support ticket.

When UDI introduced IoX they removed the ability to set IP at the device level. Meaning the only way to keep the device at a "static" IP is to use the DHCP Reservation from the router level.  👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

Why is it now an issue when you said you've always used it without?

Installing a new router and I wanted certain devices, like smart controllers, to keep the same IP from the old router to the new so I thought of using static IP addresses. 

6 minutes ago, vbPhil said:

Installing a new router and I wanted certain devices, like smart controllers, to keep the same IP from the old router to the new so I thought of using static IP addresses. 

This is very possible with DHCP reservations. Depending on the router you might have to connect everything first then assign IP reservations. Some routers will allow you to reserve IP with the MAC address before connecting, but depends on the brand and firmware. 

6 minutes ago, Geddy said:

This is very possible with DHCP reservations. Depending on the router you might have to connect everything first then assign IP reservations. Some routers will allow you to reserve IP with the MAC address before connecting, but depends on the brand and firmware. 

Yes I concur. Still evaluating router specs before pulling the trigger.

• 2 weeks later...