Support thread for: PG3x v3.1.29 (June 12, 2023)

This upgrade announcement states "PG3x v3.1.29 for eisy and Polisy". I'm on PG3 3.1.21 for Polisy. Now I'm confused about what PG3x is for. I thought it came out for EISY only? Is there some info on this somewhere?

3 minutes ago, vbPhil said:

This upgrade announcement states "PG3x v3.1.29 for eisy and Polisy". I'm on PG3 3.1.21 for Polisy. Now I'm confused about what PG3x is for. I thought it came out for EISY only? Is there some info on this somewhere?

Explained in the 1st post here:

25 minutes ago, Athlon said:

Explained in the 1st post here:

That announcement doesn't provide much guidance for deciding which to use, PG3 or PG3x and why are there 2?  Seems like you'd only want one series to maintain going forward.

13 minutes ago, vbPhil said:

That announcement doesn't provide much guidance for deciding which to use, PG3 or PG3x and why are there 2?  Seems like you'd only want one series to maintain going forward.

From the post

The eisy is using a new version of Polyglot version three called PG3x. PG3x has infrastructure changes to make node servers (and PG3x) more secure and enable features based on remote access.

Polisy users may update their systems to use PG3x if they want access to the new features. PG3 will continue to get updates for the foreseeable future.

• Like 2

Eventually, only PG3x will be supported and PG3 will be deprecated.   The current state is:

* eisy can only run PG3x

* Polisy can run either PG3 or PG3x, but once you migrate to PG3x, you can't migrate back.

PG3x has remote access capabilities that PG3 doesn't.  Currently the Ring node server makes use of this and thus, will only run on PG3x.  

PG3 is probably a bit more stable and we're working to get PG3x to the same point.  My slowly transitioning uses from PG3 to PG3x we have time to stablize PG3x without dealing with a flood of migration issues.

• Like 2

This is kind of a minor issue, but for the past 2 upgrades, my eisy A/C tells me to reboot via a pop up window - possibly after I exited the IoX A/C and got back in, but prior to any reboot attempts - my Polisy A/C doesn't tell me to reboot when the update is complete (I hear 5 beeps) but after waiting a bit, I reboot anyways, then when I start the IoX A/C, then it tells me that I need to reboot - so then I have to reboot again - so there is some kind of minor difference between IoX A/C behavior on the eisy vs Polisy (unless the Polisy requires a much longer waiting period for the pop-up message) - in any event both recent updates have gone without any observable errors

• Like 1

No difference between Polisy and eisy that I'm aware of. But that's not a PG3 issue as the IoX handles the upgrade process so you might want to ask this on the IoX firmware support thread.

6 minutes ago, BamBamF16 said:

Yes. Restarted each NS and PG3x.  Nothing is working. 

Run "Upgrade Packages" again.  Once it completes, reboot.  Once everything is back up, refresh the browser page.

1 hour ago, bpwwer said:

Once everything is back up, refresh the browser page.

That's what I had to do - but actually had to clear the cache for that URL in the browser (I use Chrome). I tried it with Edge (which I never use) and because it worked there without issue, I decided to try clearing the cache in Chrome.