Using Network Resource to call Sonos API directly

johnnyt
Go to solution Solved by landolfi,

Has anyone used Network Resources to call the underlying Sonos API that this NS uses? (https://github.com/jishi/node-sonos-http-api)

My initial tests are not working but I'm far from a network resource expert so very likely have made some errors in the way I set it up.

image.thumb.png.2e5b9084e7bfa7268fe8ac46a2740fde.png

I'm hoping using Network Resources might allow me to get past some of the limitations I'm running into with this NS.

edit: the URL works fine from browser:

image.png.79206b824f5b7b7afb4db54090b200e4.png

Edited by johnnyt
3 hours ago, johnnyt said:

Has anyone used Network Resources to call the underlying Sonos API that this NS uses? (https://github.com/jishi/node-sonos-http-api)

My initial tests are not working but I'm far from a network resource expert so very likely have made some errors in the way I set it up.

image.thumb.png.2e5b9084e7bfa7268fe8ac46a2740fde.png

I'm hoping using Network Resources might allow me to get past some of the limitations I'm running into with this NS.

edit: the URL works fine from browser:

image.png.79206b824f5b7b7afb4db54090b200e4.png

What limitations are you running into? The nodeserver supports everything the api does except for turning subwoofers off and on

29 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

What limitations are you running into? The nodeserver supports everything the api does except for turning subwoofers off and on

For me the main limitation if you can call it that was the price, but it looks like that was reduced. On the other side of your question, what does the node server do for me that the node.js implementation doesn't? One thing I can think of offhand is not having to monitor the node.js instance on a separate server.  In my case, all I use it for is to play clips in response to sensor events.

Thanks, @landolfi, changed POST to GET and it worked.

@lilyoyo1, as for limitations see:

Problem 1 in above post was solved with restarts but problem 2 remains (limit of 10 phrases). Although this isn't a problem yet - I just started with this - I foresee it becoming a problem if I decide to keep going with this NS.

Plus:

- wanted to change language to French for some phrases and can't see how to do that with NS. Hoping Network Resources will help

- My TV Room (a playbar with subwoofer and rear speakers) isn't able to "say" anything for some reason. I do need to try a few more things before posting on that, including trying it using Network Resource. 

- support seems to be very limited at best

Edited by johnnyt
12 hours ago, johnnyt said:

Thanks, @landolfi, changed POST to GET and it worked.

@lilyoyo1, as for limitations see:

Problem 1 in above post was solved with restarts but problem 2 remains (limit of 10 phrases). Although this isn't a problem yet - I just started with this - I foresee it becoming a problem if I decide to keep going with this NS.

Plus:

- wanted to change language to French for some phrases and can't see how to do that with NS. Hoping Network Resources will help

- My TV Room (a playbar with subwoofer and rear speakers) isn't able to "say" anything for some reason. I do need to try a few more things before posting on that, including trying it using Network Resource. 

- support seems to be very limited at best

Its a great node server. I think it would be better overall to let @bpwwerknow what you're looking for so he can debug as his time permits and/or possibly add more of the missing functionality. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

Its a great node server. I think it would be better overall to let @bpwwerknow what you're looking for so he can debug as his time permits and/or possibly add more of the missing functionality. 

It does have the makings of a great NS, and yeah, for sure I may put a wish list together. I'm only starting to try stuff so I'm focusing/posting on getting the initial stuff I want to do working. So far the only thing that's actually working for me the way I'd like/expect (that I've tried) is changing the volume on a speaker, however it doesn't work for the 'say' command I want it to work for (as mentioned in my other post on that subject).

Unfortunately I'm not really getting much support for the problems I've listed so far (from other users or @bpwwer), and I've read somewhere else that Bob doesn't have any Sonos to try/fix stuff at home. Now maybe the lack of responses to my posts is because it's summertime and people are on vacation so I'm still hopeful, but I'm working on this now and have limited time to figure out if I want to keep working it or do something else.

Here's another thing I just posted that I can't get working: