2475F multi speed question

rick.curl

I think I'm having a senior moment.  I had a 2475F that failed and I just replaced it with a used one I got on eBay. Previously, I could select speeds by pressing the "on" button on a mini remote 1, 2, or 3 times, but now that I have replaced the 2475F, I can only select "high" or "off". I probably missed a setting somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.  Any tips?

Thanks!

-Rick

17 hours ago, Techman said:

Make sure that the remote link tables are updated for the replaced device.

I did update the remote link tables but it did not help. I tried removing the 2475F and re-linking it, but the PLM failed to recognize it.  I think my PLM may be dying. 

I just ordered a replacement PLM.  I'll post the results here once I receive it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got a new PLM, everything else is settled down, but this fan issue remains.  I un-linked and re-linked again, but nothing changed.  From the Mini remote I can press the right side of one of the buttons once and it goes to LOW (as viewed form the admin console).  Pressing it twice goes to HIGH, but nothing I can do will set it to medium.  Pressing the left side of the button turns it off (as it should). From the 2334 keypad, pressing the button once turns it on to HIGH and pressing it again turns it off.  Several months ago before the Fanlinc failed I could select all three speeds from both the 2334 keypad and from the mini remote. 

The ONLY way I can find to set it to medium is from the admin console, in the middle part of the screen I can select MEDIUM from the drop-down box and the click ON.

I'm totally flummoxed. Any ideas?

4 hours ago, paulbates said:

Have you factory reset the fan link? Probably hard because of installation location, but you're looking at that anyway with a replacement.

Good idea. Unfortunately it made things worse. Before factory default, one press on the mini remote set it to LOW, and two presses set it to HIGH. Now one press sets it to high and I cannot set it to LOW or MEDUIM.

This has got to be something simple that we are overlooking. 

Edited by rick.curl
2 minutes ago, rick.curl said:

This has got to be something simple that we are overlooking. 

When you replaced the Fanlinc did you do anything to re-program the mini remote? How is the remote sending signals to the Fanlinc? Do you have scenes setup or programs? I don't run the mini remote, but I run several fanlincs and all my keypads are setup in scenes and programs to control the speeds.

@Javi updated the wiki for programming the Fanlinc with keypads after a thread on here with lots of discussion as to the most efficient way to program and keep buttons in sync.

It might help to reprogram the remote depending on what you did after replacing the Fanlinc. If you used the "replace device" method then the remote should work as it did before. If you didn't or changed other settings then it could be that the remote isn't fully programmed for the new Fanlinc.

On 11/21/2023 at 5:51 PM, rick.curl said:

Previously, I could select speeds by pressing the "on" button on a mini remote 1, 2, or 3 times, but now that I have replaced the 2475F, I can only select "high" or "off". I probably missed a setting somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.  Any tips?

This is not the default behavior so either a scene or program or both were used.  Insteon buttons have ON and FAST ON (double press), but as far as I know there is no triple press event for this device.  Although I don't have any working mini remotes so can not test.

Maybe 3 programs which process the mini's ON Command event.  If fan is off set to low, If fan is low set to med, if fan is med set to high.  

• Like 1

It just seems odd to me that Insteon would produce a device that has three speeds (four if you count OFF), but not give us a simple way to select those speeds. My wife is very picky about fan speeds, so I know we were previously able to select all three. This is one of those things that just worked as expected for several years, but now doesn't. 

My memory is foggy as to how I initially set it up, but I know there were no programs involved.  I **think** I just set up a scene, made the Fanlinc a responder, and then made the wall keypads and mini keypads controllers.  

Geddy: I initially tried to replace the Fanlinc with an Enbrighten Smart Fan Control, but I discovered I had to add more programs to make it work and I never was happy with it, so I deleted the programs and scenes and set it up again with just the Fanlinc, a single scene, two mini remotes and a wall keypad. I did reprogram the mini remotes after replacing the Fanlinc.

Javi: The mini remotes are behaving as you say they should, with only two speed options,  I don't know how to explain the discrepancy.

If no programs were used maybe the Keypad button was set as a dimmer, then when the button was long pressed the ON LEVEL was raised to the next highest level.  In addition to this it is possible the scene's ON (single button press) command was linked to low or med ON LEVEL and the FAST ON (double press) set high ON LEVEL, so there were 2 levels not 3.

Using ISY programs method will work. So it is still possible, just not using direct linking.

50 minutes ago, rick.curl said:

Sorry to be dense, but how can I write a program that can count button presses on a mini remote?

I don't think you need to count, just 4 programs without scenes. Then each program references fan status and control of button press.

If (control) Off button is pressed turn off fan

If (control) On button is pressed and fan (status) is off then set fan low

If (control) On button is pressed and fan (status) is low then set fan to med

If (control) On button is pressed and fan (status) is med then set fan high

(optional) If (control) On button is pressed and fan (status) is high then set fan to low

BRILLIANT!! I wrote the programs as you suggested and I'm 90% of the way there, but I encountered a strange problem with the "off" step. The first line after the "IF" says "Bedroom / Bedroom remote 2-A / Bedroom Remote 2 -D is switched on", but I can't change it to "OFF". I discovered I have two types of 2342-2 mini remotes.  All are set to 4 scenes, but some of them are labeled A-B, C-D, E-F, and G-H, and the others are A, A-B, A-C, and A-D.  This one happens to be the second type, and I have the fan control on the bottom (D) button.

Fanoffprogram.thumb.JPG.ac93245a00ed80edea2e2f0923cf9228.JPGThoughts?

Edited by rick.curl