“AutoUpdate Status: Authorization Failed!” & “Java Internal Error” on launch

GHenry

eisy v5.7.1, Z-Matter dongle (11/23)

After logging into my eisy, increasingly I get a dialog box which says “AutoUpdate Status, Authorization Failed!”  That's not very enlightening!

Nothing seems amiss, and after dismissing the dialog everything seems to work fine.  Where is this coming from, and do I need to worry about it?

AutoUpdate Status-Authorization Failed!.jpg

Edited by GHenry

MacOS 14.2.1, Java 8 update 391 build 1.8.0_391-b13 (current).  

My laptop, running the same system and Java versions, produced only the “authorization failed” error and not the Java internal error, so I cleared caches yet again, and now neither computer gets the Java internal error.

Sigh.  I really hate reinstalling Java, but I guess I’ll have to bite the bullet.

Per the (out-of-date) Home Automation Cookbook, I also tried https://my-eisy-ip-addr:8443/admin.jnlp, which I prefer because it goes directly to the admin console (since I only have one eisy).  That produces only the “authorization failed” dialog on both machines, so maybe the desktop’s Java installation isn’t the culprit.  Could the “authorization failed” be due to the eisy's self-signed certificate?  Who knows?!

Thanks again for your on-going interest!

Edited by GHenry
Neither machine getting Java internal error now.

Thanks for the insight!  AFAIK there's only the security problem that MacOS won't launch an unsigned app (Java or otherwise) when double-clicked; instead one must right-click and choose Open (there's also an unnecessarily arcane way to do it via System Settings).  Thereafter it launches via usual double-click.

Otherwise, Java is supposed to be platform independent (but things are occasionally not what they are supposed to be!).

• 2 weeks later...

After a several deletions of Java cached applications and applets plus installation of IoX 5.8.0, I’ve resolved everything but the first item above, the “AutoUpdate Status/Authorization Failed!” dialog.

Given the UD logo, I’m guessing it’s not necessarily a Java problem.  Where does that dialog come from, what does it mean, and what can I do to resolve it?

On 1/6/2024 at 10:47 AM, GHenry said:

Where does that dialog come from, what does it mean, and what can I do to resolve it?

Did you submit a ticket to get help on this? 

Not being a macOS user I'd say the error appears to be a macos system issue. There isn't anything that the IoX Launcher would be trying to "auto update" as best as I know (from the Windows side of using the system). Since you got the Java issue resolved I think there would be something in the macOS world that is trying to update something when the IoX Launcher is running that's causing issues. 

It would be interesting to learn if UDI had any other information to offer on a support ticket. 

1 hour ago, Geddy said:

Did you submit a ticket to get help on this? 

Yes, I did.  Inconclusive.  Since the admin console seems to work fine notwithstanding the error dialogs, and apparently no one else is complaining about the problem, it doesn't seem worth the effort to try to track down the source.

• Thanks 1