Receive Email When Insteon Device Goes Offline?

Go to solution Solved by IndyMike,

11 hours ago, tazman said:

I think this could be done with a micro on/off module mount the module in the panel power it off of another breaker and run the control wire to the breaker you want to monitor then write a program that notifies you when the module is turned off. My disclaimer is I have never used an on/off module and this is just idea and I have no way to verify it will work but maybe someone with more experience with this device can verify it will work.

Thanks for the suggestion, Tazman.  I'm not sure I want to mess with the panel, but this sounds like it would work.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, larryllix said:

Put a CAO (or other brand) Tag and Tag Manager on your system.

It can detect a temperature rise which will not only detect power failure, but any kind of failure, including human failure to close the fridge door.

And it integrates with ISY using the wireless tag node server.  For about $100 you could have the tag, the hub, and the node server.  Then for roughly $25 ea you can keep adding more tags for whatever else, like outdoor temp/humidity, other fridges, water detection, etc.  I have done this monitoring some walk-in units at my church and used the hard wired version so I don't have to mess with the batteries.  I then have a program on ISY that sends me an alert if the tag hasn't updated the temp in more than 45 minutes.  You could do the same but would have to drill a tiny hole in the side of your fridge to run the wire.  It is powered off of 5v USB jack but you can cut the wire so you just need to drill a 1/8 inch or smaller hole and then splice the wire back together.  You would think a big metal box like a walkin cooler would kill the signal, but it doesn't.  Though it definitely attenuates it.

The program below runs at startup and just keeps resetting itself if the temp or humidity changes.

Freezer Online  - [ID 009F][Parent 009D][Run At Startup]

If
        'Walk Ins / TGOC Walk-Ins / TGOC Freezer' Temperature is 0.0°F
     Or 'Walk Ins / TGOC Walk-Ins / TGOC Freezer' Temperature is not 0.0°F
     Or 'Walk Ins / TGOC Walk-Ins / TGOC Freezer' Humidity is not 0.0%
     Or 'Walk Ins / TGOC Walk-Ins / TGOC Freezer' Humidity is 0.0%

Then
        Wait  45 minutes 
        Repeat Every  1 hour 
           Send Notification to 'Lou and Stuart' content 'Freezer Monitor Offline'
           Send Notification to 'Denis Phocas' content 'Freezer Monitor Offline'

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

• Like 1

FWIW, I moved a couple of Aqara zigbee sensors to my basement refrigerator/freezer.  The are working well.  Top two plots are the Zigbee temp/humidity/pressure sensors.  Inexpensive and have good battery life.

The bottom plot is a Zooz energy monitoring plug. The spike around 6:00 pm is due to the defrost cycle. 

Note that the defrost may make it difficult to set alarms based on temperature.

image.thumb.png.71c2d97d0515e36461d206cf823b70e1.png