Home Assistant on eisy not online

I’ll also throw in a me too here, neither vm-public or tap interfaces are UP on boot. Disabling udx and isy “fixes” the issue.

Took a look at the udx start up scripts and didn’t see anything obvious (although I did see some stuff that rewrites rc.conf which could potentially be problematic down the line, although I didn’t trace back what calls it).

6 hours ago, apnar said:

FYI, to get out of "ha" prompt and down to real OS you can run "login".  That will drop you to a proper linux prompt in the HA OS.

Thank you for the info, I had done a quick search and couldn't find anything, wish it would have been listed under the "help" information on the HA CLI.

3 hours ago, apnar said:

The virtualization layer in FreeBSD doesn’t support passing through individual USB devices to virtual machines so you can’t pass through just the SkyConnect.

It does support passing through PCIe devices though, but unfortunately there is only a single USB controller in the eisy so if you pass it through that would mean all USB ports on the eisy would map to the virtual machine. That’s a no go for me since I need the eisy to talk to my PLM but might work for folks that only want USB for their HA VM.

I know some of these USB radios actually present as old fashioned serial devices. I haven’t looked at SkyConnect to see if that’s the case but if it is you might also be able to pass the serial device through to the HA VM.

This will be an issue for me also, if the USB ports can only be map to one of the controllers, ISY or HA VM.

I didn't purchase the eisy for the purpose of running HA on it, being able to run both would be convenient. To have a single device running both to maybe get a little performance boost in their communication with each other, but I still need the ISY to control my Insteon devices. In my option and experience ISY is still the best controller for an Insteon network and for the foreseeable future I'm not interested in changing.

Edited by rob7419
1 hour ago, Michel Kohanim said:

Hello everyone,

@xKing helped us figure out the issue. It's in our networking services which switches between ethernet and wifi. For some reason, when the vm starts, re0 goes up, down, and up and it causes this routine to try and fix it. Anyway, please install the latest udx from staging:

sudo udxps.sh repo.util

sudo pkg install -f udx

NOTE:

To fix this issue, we disable the networking services when vm_enable is in rc.conf. This means that you will NOT be able to use eisy with wifi.

With kind regards,
Michel

As always great support from UDI, 4 consecutive reboots and HA VM connects to network without issue.

Thanks!!

Edited by rob7419
  • Like 1

@tazman I haven't been testing the ISY/IoX to HA integration yet.

But to help test I add the Universal Devices ISY/IoX integration to HA and preformed a couple of reboots from the CLI and the eisy to HA socket connected both time 

image.png.1d238af3e81cb5133b49597475829032.png

I then restarted HA from the dashboard and HA showed connected after, so at this point I would say I'm not seeing this issue on my device.

I have been playing around with the eisy some more and didn't have an issue with the ISY/IoX integration connecting until I plugged in the ZMatter USB device. If the ZMatter USB is plugged in the integration show an unknown connection and needs to be reloaded. If it's unplugged it will boot normally.

@tazman are you utilizing the ZMatter? If so, can you confirm it will boot normally with it unplugged?

7 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

From @xKing,

Edit /usr/local/etc/rc.d/isy and edit the #BEFORE line and add vm. i.e. 

# BEFORE: vm pg3x pg3

If you have issues with PG3, do the same for pg3 (same directory) and add

# BEFORE: vm

If this works, we'll add it to the next build.

With kind regards,
Michel

@Michel KohanimI tried what I think you outlined and it did not help for me. I will post the 2 files just to see that I did everything ok.

#!/bin/sh
# PROVIDE: pg3x
# REQUIRE: NETWORK ldconfig
# KEYWORD: shutdown
# BEFORE: vm
# Add the following lines to /etc/rc.conf.local or /etc/rc.conf
# to enable this service:
#
# pg3_enable (bool):  Set to "NO" by default.
#                     Set it to "YES" to enable polyglot v3.

. /etc/rc.subr

name=pg3
desc="Polyglot3 IoX service"
rcvar=pg3_enable

load_rc_config $name

: ${pg3_enable:=NO}
: ${pg3_user=polyglot}
: ${pg3_homedir=/var/polyglot}
: ${pg3_workdir=/var/polyglot}
#!/bin/sh
# $FreeBSD$
# PROVIDE: isy
# REQUIRE: NETWORK ldconfig udx polyglot
# KEYWORD: shutdown
# BEFORE: vm pg3x pg3
#
# Add the following lines to /etc/rc.conf.local or /etc/rc.conf
# to enable this service:
#
# isy_enable (bool):  Set to "YES" by default.
#                        Set it to "NO" to disable isy = ISY Service.

. /etc/rc.subr

name=isy
desc="ISY Service"
rcvar=isy_enable

load_rc_config $name
. /usr/local/etc/isy.d/static/common.sh

: ${isy_enable:=YES}

2 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@tazman,

Please submit a ticket with your HA log. I think we may need @shbatm but I haven't been able to get a hold of him.

With kind regards,
Michel

@Michel Kohanimthank you very much for your help in supporting items that are not UDI since we have tried what we can with ISY I can go through the proper channels with HA and the ISY integration to see if @shbatmcould make the integration look for ISY again after failure. Unless there is a reason you prefer this go through the UDI ticket system?

9 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@tazman,

Please submit a ticket with your HA log. I think we may need @shbatm but I haven't been able to get a hold of him.

With kind regards,
Michel

3 hours ago, xKing said:

@tazman start with looking at the logs - do this on the HA VM (SSH or VNC or what have you)

docker logs homeassistant

and see what is it it's not happy about

I opened a ticket and sent the log to Michel.

21 minutes ago, Whitehambone said:

@tazman, any resolution on this?  I have the same problem and have been watch the Topic.  

It depends which problem you are having. We have it that HA starts and is online now. The problem I'm still having is the ISY integration needs to be reloaded after everything starts.

Posted (edited)

I'm putting this here to mark as a fix for the original problem of HA not being online. My understanding is that this will be incorporated in a future update. 

sudo udxops.sh repo.util

sudo pkg install -f udx

I wanted to mark this post as the solution but it is not giving me that option so hopefully @Geddycould mark it for me.

Edited by tazman
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Whitehambone said:

@Michel Kohanim, so I just tried the update again, but still can not see HA in the browser.  It states the VM is in a running state.

What does this command show?

ifconfig | grep metric

You should see 4 lines all with "UP" in them.  The issue that the new udx fixed was vm-public and tap0 weren't going "UP" on boot. 

@Michel Kohanim, I can't get to HA to see the log.  I have the router reserving an IP for HA and it shows it offline.  I guess i could try the VNC method.  

@apnar, it appears to be UP, but still can not resolve the host.

re0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
vm-public: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
tap0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500

Just now, Whitehambone said:

@Michel Kohanim, I can't get to HA to see the log.  I have the router reserving an IP for HA and it shows it offline.  I guess i could try the VNC method.  

@apnar, it appears to be UP, but still can not resolve the host.

re0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
vm-public: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
tap0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500

That's good, means networking is there.  The issue must be in the HA VM itself.  Do you have VNC setup for the VM?  If so connect and see if it got an IP on your network.  From inside the VNC session at the ha prompt you can run:

network info