ON/OFF wall switch

Go to solution Solved by IndyMike,

Any recommendations on a smart  on/off wired wall switch.  I am presently using Insteon   and Philips motion sensors, I just need on/off feature via a motion sensor. I have used the smart switches from Insteon  which are bulky and wont fit in the  3 switch box currently using.

Thanks

The current Insteon switches are a bit smaller than the ones sold several years ago. Is your 3 gang box metal or plastic? Was it installed when the home was built or was it added later?

What controller are you using. Do you currently have Zwave?

Is your current installation all Insteon?

• Solution
15 hours ago, teverk said:

Any recommendations on a smart  on/off wired wall switch.  I am presently using Insteon   and Philips motion sensors, I just need on/off feature via a motion sensor. I have used the smart switches from Insteon  which are bulky and wont fit in the  3 switch box currently using.

Thanks

I've never had issues fitting multiple Insteon switches side by side in a 3 gang box.  Since they should fit side by side, I assume your box does not have enough depth to accommodate the wiring.

The being the case, you should checkout switches that use screw terminal connections.  I like the Zooz Z-wave switches, but that would require you to purchase a new Z-wave stick (not recommended). 

I believe that the Phillips Hue line is Zigbee.  I normally try to stay within the same communication protocol when using motion sensors/switches.  I use Zigbee for sensors but have 0 experience with Zigbee switches.

Hopefully someone else with experience with screw terminal Zigbee switches can chime in.

The newer Insteon I3 Paddles can be configured at the switch to be a dimmer or relay (on/off). The body of the switch is definitely smaller than the older model Insteon switches,

To add to @IndyMike's suggestions on managing space; You can cut the leads down on the Insteon switches wires to fit and also use "push in" connectors vs wire nuts to get space back in the j-box

Edited by paulbates
  • 2 weeks later...

I have several 3 gang boxes and had no problem with fitting in Insteon switches, both the older ones and the I3 switches.

I also use Zigbee sensors with them and again with a learning curve, have had no problems with them. They cannot be use in Scenes, but their program speed is almost as good (better than Insteon ones).

Edited by JP