Eisy controlable light bulbs

I'm getting a little frustrated with Eisy's slow evolution, and the "Smart" light bulb market. I've had Insteon light bulbs, no longer produced, iNovelli z-wave light bulbs, no longer produced, and recently had to get some additional replacements. As far as I can tell, no currently marketed bulbs are Eisy compatible. Supported formats are Bluetooth, Zigbee, Hue, Alexa, Apple and a bunch of odd balll Chinese brands.

What am I missing? 

Dave 

WiFi bulbs are around, and getting very commonly available, and cheap.  EISY can control them natively without any further hardware. No hub, and no bridge with limited distances.

They are fast and dimmable to 1% without flicker.

There are many brands. I have been using MagicHome RGBCW/WW bulbs and CW/WW lamps  for many years. I only have two Insteon lamps in usage now. At one time I had many Insteon controlled bulbs (never the bulbs themselves, but Insteon plug-in dimmers and wall switches.)

Wifi will still be around when most of are dead.

7 hours ago, dpmenzer said:

I'm getting a little frustrated with Eisy's slow evolution, and the "Smart" light bulb market. I've had Insteon light bulbs, no longer produced, iNovelli z-wave light bulbs, no longer produced, and recently had to get some additional replacements. As far as I can tell, no currently marketed bulbs are Eisy compatible. Supported formats are Bluetooth, Zigbee, Hue, Alexa, Apple and a bunch of odd balll Chinese brands.

What am I missing? 

Dave 

Many folks on here talk about and use hue. I used to use hue when I used my polisy. I believe it works natively with it now

Thanks guys for the responses. Interesting on the wifi bulbs, I've looked thru the documentation but couldn't see how to talk to a wifi bulb, and did not see a polyglot that would do that either.  Can you point me to an example or docs on how to talk to a wifi device/bulb?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, dpmenzer said:

Can you point me to an example or docs on how to talk to a wifi device/bulb?

I think @larryllix has some code he wrote for his own use, but think others get wifi bulbs connected to the IoX system via network resources. I'm not sure how that happens so can't point you much further than that. Try a Google Site Search for the forums to find some archived posts about wifi bulbs.

There was a post by @Javi that if you have the ZMatter dongle for the eisy you can directly connect Hue bulbs to the eisy.  I'm happy with the hub bulbs trough their hub and using the Hue plugin to have them in the IoX system. 

13 hours ago, Geddy said:

I think @larryllix has some code he wrote for his own use, but think others get wifi bulbs connected to the IoX system via network resources. I'm not sure how that happens so can't point you much further than that. Try a Google Site Search for the forums to find some archived posts about wifi bulbs.

There was a post by @Javi that if you have the ZMatter dongle for the eisy you can directly connect Hue bulbs to the eisy.  I'm happy with the hub bulbs trough their hub and using the Hue plugin to have them in the IoX system. 

On that note:
This depends on how tech savvy you are.
Bulbs must have predefined IP addresses fixed inside your router's DHCP table.
15 variables need to be named for this usage. 4 for bulb parameters and 10 for a bulb list to be operated.
3-4 Network resources need to be defined. On/Off/SetLevels/Effects
My software needs to be installed/copied in a folder on your Polisy/Eisy/ or RPi
A line must be installed in the bootup system to make it run on boot-up
A python file must be edited to match and define your IP addresses on machine above
ISY programs need set up R, G, B, CW, and WW variables, and up to 10 bulb IDs wanted to be controlled for each command in programs.
Bulb scenes are created on demand in programs and not preset.
A NR needs to be called to initiate the command.
Up to 10 bulbs will respond to the setting sent. Hardly any popcorn effect can be noticed with total time about 0.5 seconds for 10 bulbs. Many effects  are built into most bulbs, including coloured flashing etc. No ISY looping required.

Edited by larryllix
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys for the responses. Interesting on the wifi bulbs, I've looked thru the documentation but couldn't see how to talk to a wifi bulb, and did not see a polyglot that would do that either.  Can you point me to an example or docs on how to talk to a wifi device/bulb?

Thanks again guys. @larryllix, I'm an electrical engineer, but high frequency, radar, solid state amps. Networking, I only get wet. I understand enough about your post that I know that is not the way I want to go. I applaud your ability to get it working. When Eisy internallizes that, I would be interested. It does seem strange at this point in time to have to do all of that to send IP commands. Since I don't have an api, and don't trust these guys to be consistent, and I have enough frustration in life, that I will pursue a zigbee solution. I was hoping to avoid adding yet another protocol, but so be it.

Thanks,

Dave

• Like 1