switchlinc switch = ugly; icon = much better appearance

someguy

I don't like the way the switchlincs look with the multiple holes on the side and the way the light shows through them. it seems a little cheap.

2476d.jpg

The icon looks much better to me:

2876sb.jpg

I've found that you can put an icon switch paddle over a switchlinc switch:

2800al.jpg

The problem that this creates is that the Icon switch lights the little LED light when the light that it controls is OFF, but the Switchlinc that same little LED light is always ON.

I would just use ICON switches everywhere in my house, but I've got some circuits that need the 600Watt or 1000Watt capability of the switchlincs.

Has anyone figured out a simple work-around for this? I'd like my switches to look like someone cared when they installed them, instead of having multiple different kinds of switches.

thanks,

someguy

Hello Someguy,

Yes, I've had similar decor problems with Icons and SWL. I do like the cleaner look of the Icons and have used the paddle switch technique to improve things.

My problem with the Icons is that SH has the habit of switching LED colors. This, combined with the fact that it appeared that SH would discontinue the Icons (couple of years ago), lead me toward the SWL's. I'm now using the Icons in closets and areas where appearance isn't critical.

Using the Icon cover on a SWL also allows some nasty "bleed through" of the upper leds when the switch is on. Even though the LEDs are covered, you can see them through and around the parting lines of the cover. I've used electricians tape to limit this in the past.

I recently saw that the ISY allows you to set the LED level on the SWL (not Icons). I've tried setting the LED level on my SWL dimmers and it did not have any affect - my units are roughly 5 years old now. If your dimmers are newer, you may be able to use this feature to "balance things"

The problem that this creates is that the Icon switch lights the little LED light when the light that it controls is OFF, but the Switchlinc that same little LED light is always ON.

This problem I do not see on my units:

1) When the ICON is off, the LED is lit. When it's ON the led is off.

2) When the SWLs are off, the bottom (exposed) LED is on. When the SWLs are brightened, the bottom (exposed) LED is off and the LED corresponding to the brightness is lit.

With Icon paddles installed, the above gives the same on/off impression for both the Icon and SWL. Is it possible that your SWL LED appears to be lit due to bleed through from the other LEDs? If so, the electricians tape may help.

IM

Archived