Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Universal Devices Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2843-222 Open/Close Sensor to display Open-Close

Featured Replies

Is there a way when using a Insteon 2843-222 Open/Close Sensor to display Open – Close rather than the On – Off, it’s not a On/Off Sensor. I am thing of this as in my UD Mobile or the new UD eISY-Ui main page tiles.

it's possible to create a custom node definition that would display "open" and "closed" rather than "on" and "off." This can be done via the REST interface and uploading configuration definitions But that's probably not the answer that @RVandergriff01 was looking for.

3 hours ago, stillwater said:

it's possible to create a custom node definition that would display "open" and "closed" rather than "on" and "off." This can be done via the REST interface and uploading configuration definitions But that's probably not the answer that @RVandergriff01 was looking for.

I'm interested in exploring this. Do you have an example of a REST command that does just that? I can't find any listing of the specific properties that would be added to a /rest/nodes/<node> command.

I did it sometime around 2016 so I am hazy on the process. The good thing is that it has survived upgrade after upgrade including shiftover to eisy. The code was saved as part of the ISY/IoX backups. The only tricky thing on changeover to eisy was I had to export and reimport network resources and add back a password fo the webserver client that is part of my redundant loop.

This was before even the early versions of polyglot (now PG3). I recall the methods were described in a document about version 5 of isy -- it was the basis of moving away from insteon to be able to create any kind of node. I am pretty sure this is the document I used: https://docs.universal-devices.com/developers/wsdk/5.0.4/docs/ISY-WS-SDK-Node-Server.pdf

What I used this for was to create a node that could display in the admin console (and now in a tile on the eisy-ui home page) that allowed a Sauna that is actually controlled as a heating zone in my climate control system to be turned on and off by insteon keypad buttons and then have its status (OFF - ON -- Warming -- Ready -- Ready/Reheat ) reflected in keypad button backlights.

There's no reason it couldn't be used to create a node that shadows an insteon sensor or has has status set by a program that takes input from a variety of sensors.

The actual node definition is very simple but there is a fair amount of arcane names and syntax involved given how simple it actually is. I think this is because UDI was trying to be as comprehensive as possible in what could be represented in a node and displayed.

The above document says that the node definition profile files are normally installed via the admin console (hopefully this has been or will be carried over to eisy.ui) but that it's also possible to install them by REST -- see section 4.2 on page 10. Since I haven't touched this since about 2016 I can't vouch of whether the installation process still works as specified.

There is also this V5 API documentation that may be a little more recent than the document above but still predates polyglot.

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/ISY_Developers:API:V5:Node_Server

Note you can have a custom node definition without a separate node server. the node status can be updated within IoX. (at least this is my recollection).

Finally I recognize that this is all ancient stuff and that the current approach encapsulates the node definition in a "plugin" that is managed via a new page within the eisy. Probably there is a way to upload the node definition files to somewhere in the eisy and then install via the plugin interface but I have not looked into how this is done yet.

Edited by stillwater
Added last bit about installation of node profile files.

10 hours ago, stillwater said:

I did it sometime around 2016 so I am hazy on the process. The good thing is that it has survived upgrade after upgrade including shiftover to eisy. The code was saved as part of the ISY/IoX backups. The only tricky thing on changeover to eisy was I had to export and reimport network resources and add back a password fo the webserver client that is part of my redundant loop.

This was before even the early versions of polyglot (now PG3). I recall the methods were described in a document about version 5 of isy -- it was the basis of moving away from insteon to be able to create any kind of node. I am pretty sure this is the document I used: https://docs.universal-devices.com/developers/wsdk/5.0.4/docs/ISY-WS-SDK-Node-Server.pdf

What I used this for was to create a node that could display in the admin console (and now in a tile on the eisy-ui home page) that allowed a Sauna that is actually controlled as a heating zone in my climate control system to be turned on and off by insteon keypad buttons and then have its status (OFF - ON -- Warming -- Ready -- Ready/Reheat ) reflected in keypad button backlights.

There's no reason it couldn't be used to create a node that shadows an insteon sensor or has has status set by a program that takes input from a variety of sensors.

The actual node definition is very simple but there is a fair amount of arcane names and syntax involved given how simple it actually is. I think this is because UDI was trying to be as comprehensive as possible in what could be represented in a node and displayed.

The above document says that the node definition profile files are normally installed via the admin console (hopefully this has been or will be carried over to eisy.ui) but that it's also possible to install them by REST -- see section 4.2 on page 10. Since I haven't touched this since about 2016 I can't vouch of whether the installation process still works as specified.

There is also this V5 API documentation that may be a little more recent than the document above but still predates polyglot.

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/ISY_Developers:API:V5:Node_Server

Note you can have a custom node definition without a separate node server. the node status can be updated within IoX. (at least this is my recollection).

Finally I recognize that this is all ancient stuff and that the current approach encapsulates the node definition in a "plugin" that is managed via a new page within the eisy. Probably there is a way to upload the node definition files to somewhere in the eisy and then install via the plugin interface but I have not looked into how this is done yet.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I'll certainly check that out. I like customization and this sounds interesting.

4 hours ago, Javi said:

Yes, and I've extensively used that, such as displaying a red, open shackled lock for unlocked, and a black, closed shackled lock when locked. Great feature! It would be great if we could create our own icons for this. The only current way is with a link to an image url. I'd like to create opened and closed garage door icons, for example.

  • Author

Thank you all for the feed back, I will play with it. I was hoping for a simple fix for what looks like a simple problem, wrong again.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.