Release 2.8.7 (RC3) Is Now Available

Michel Kohanim

Hi Jim,

Would you be kind enough to increase the timeout a little and let me know. Unfortunately I have not yet figured out how to create a Mobile Me account without having an iPhone/iPod. I'll keep trying.

EDIT: I just created an me.com account and everything works fine. Please note the following:

Port: 25 (not 587)

From: must be the same as userid (in my case, uditech@me.com)

Timeout: 1000 or more

TLS: not checked

With kind regards,

Michel

One more issue in 2.8.7. Notifications are not working reliably on a mail server that does not require TLS encryption (smtp.me.com). Gmail, which requires TLS, works reliably. This is just the opposite of the bug we had in 2.8.6 :)

The Test button on the configuration panel works every time with either server.

Cheers,

-Jim

Hello jcanter,

Apologies for the inconvenience. Haven't yet been able to reproduce but we are on top of it.

With kind regards,

Michel

I upgraded this morning and everythings working except my brultech which says read acknowledge failed since the upgrade. i recheck the setting and all the other brultech software still works

Hi Jim,

Would you be kind enough to increase the timeout a little and let me know. Unfortunately I have not yet figured out how to create a Mobile Me account without having an iPhone/iPod. I'll keep trying.

EDIT: I just created an me.com account and everything works fine. Please note the following:

Port: 25 (not 587)

From: must be the same as userid (in my case, uditech@me.com)

Timeout: 1000 or more

TLS: not checked

With kind regards,

Michel

One more issue in 2.8.7. Notifications are not working reliably on a mail server that does not require TLS encryption (smtp.me.com). Gmail, which requires TLS, works reliably. This is just the opposite of the bug we had in 2.8.6 :)

The Test button on the configuration panel works every time with either server.

Cheers,

-Jim

Hi Michel,

Port 25 is not available to us FiOS users (Verizon blocks it). Here are my observations from testing me.com on port 587 and timeout of 5000 set:

1. Test button on configuration panel works 100% of the time

2. Notifications that are triggered by programs don't work reliably

3. No error is written to the system or error log

I can't speak for all users, but this bug has very low priority for me since a free gmail account gets the job done just fine. And thanks again for adding custom notifications; this is a great feature.

Cheers,

-Jim

Hello Jim,

Thanks so very much for the update. I did use port 587 with notifications and I still had 100% success rate (so they support both ports). I'll keep an eye on this situation though.

Hello jcanter,

I tested our Brultech meter with this release and everything works fine UNLESS the polling interval is lower than 10 seconds in which case Brultech still assumes the connection is active (it can only support one connection). Would you be kind enough to try a longer interval and let me know if you still get failures?

With kind regards,

Michel

Upgraded from 2.8.5 to 2.8.7. Clicked OK to close when the upgrade was done. All looked OK. The console closed. I then cleared the Java cache.

The admin console didn't show when I restarted.

So I repowered the ISY. When I start the console I now get a totally minimized console admin window in the upper left of the screen - which is non-responsive (just dings when you click on it). All that's visible is a small title bar and the window's border.

The icon for the admin console appears in the task tray but is also non-responsive.

Help!

Thanks for the reply.

I did some more testing, yesterday and today, and Verizon does work when TLS was _NOT_ checked. Gmail is working when TLS _IS_ checked.

Also, the new mail customizations are very nice, I have already incorporated some new messages into my program notifications.

Thanks again ...

Hello Candide,

Based on http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/verizon/mail ... op-11.html, you should NOT use TLS for outgoing mail (never).

With kind regards,

Michel

The errors in the log, at the times I was testing are:

Sun 2010/12/05 12:23:45 PM System -50001 -14

Sun 2010/12/05 12:25:59 PM System -50001 -6

Sun 2010/12/05 12:26:46 PM System -50001 -6

Sun 2010/12/05 12:34:31 PM System -10011 n/a

Sun 2010/12/05 12:51:26 PM System -50001 -13

I will try to do some more testing tomorrow and will post results.

I increased the timeout to 5500 and the result was the same.

Updated on Mon evening from 2.8.6. All Alerts now working brilliantly again.

(gmail) Thanks for the quick update. Also the custom alerts are awesome, been waiting for these as ISY can now talk at Wife and Kid level as needed.

Side note from my post in 2.8.6 thread regarding 2420M motion sensor that had gone crazy looped with cycling back on after every 30 second off time out period. Behavior had continued even with new battery. However I pulled the battery for about an hour and then reconnected and the unit now is functioning normally. Its as if the unit was looped from the low battery and need to fully discharge before starting over with new battery. Similar behavior to the low batt signal from these.

Thanks again for the nice updates on the ISY

Hi all,

Upgraded from 2.8.2 to 2.8.6 and all worked well with the exception of the notifications that many of you also experienced, however when I upgraded from 2.8.6 to 2.8.7 I am now have all the wireless problems that someone else described earlier in the post.

All wireless devices (motion sensors, T-stat adapter, Triggerlincs) all either stopped working completely or are intermittent at best. I have 3 Access Points and 1 Dual Band Lamplinc installed around the house and they have been in place for over a year with good performance.

I have rebooted the PLM (v72) and the ISY multiple times. I have completely removed my T-Stat Adapter (v2) and tried to re-install it and it won't allow me to re-install. When trying to re-install T-Stat Adapter I get two errors

Failed writing the Highwater Mark [-200000/-1]

Node Not Added - Failed removing links [-200000/-9]

Any suggestions?

Hello jeffwild1,

I do apologize for the inconvenience. If the problem is only the communications from the ISY to those devices, and if you have an extra Access Point, would you be kind enough to plug in an Access Point right on to your PLM?

I really do not think the problem is with ISY. Actually, I am quite surprised that your V2 thermostats actually ever worked with v72 PLM reliably. We have had so many issue with v72 and i2 commands (for thermostats) and that's why I am surprised.

Also, please make sure you are NOT using any SignaLincs ... you must use Access Points (those without antenna).

With kind regards,

Michel

Thanks for the reply Michel,

I will check for a spare access point when I get home tonight, but I know that I have a spare dual band lamplinc, will that suffice for what you are trying to prove? Also, I am certain that I am not running any signalinc's.

Are you suggesting that I should probably replace my v72 PLM with a new dual band PLM. And while on that subject, I am running a v63 PLM at a second location on the east coast, are you also seeing a lot of issues with a v63PLM?

Hi Michel,

Version 2.8.6

Cannot send any notifications. The following error is from the error log:

Fri 2010/12/10 07:39:03 AM System -50001 -16

The msgbox error says:

Mail server failure

Password not accepted

The mail account is Gmail with the following configuration:

SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com

Port: 587

User ID: myemail@gmail.com

Password: mypassword

Timeout (ms): 3000

I have tried various time out figures and yes its the correct password.

-W.

wwat

I believe the email problem is resolved in 2.8.7. I’m pretty sure the release notes link off the 2.8.7 announce topic shows that as being corrected and there have been a few other posts detailing similar email issues in 2.8.6 which have been answered as resolved by 2.8.7. I jumped in here only because of the time difference between the East coast and the West coast.

Lee

Michel,

I did find a spare (new) access point and plugged it right in to the PLM.

I rebooted both the ISY and the PLM, but when trying to add the T-stat adapter back in, I got the same fail result messages as posted previously.

The motion sensors, triggerlincs, and remotelincs seemed to work a little better, but still not rock solid. As a result of watching the motion sensor perceived improvement, I decided to delete a 2420M Rev 2, which worked fine.

However, upon trying to re-add the motion sensor back in to the system, I got another failure with the same error messages as the T-Stat. Out of curiosity I then tried to add a new Appliancelinc and it installed just fine.

So what does this tell me? Any further testing you would recommend?

jeffwild1

It indicates there is something interfering with RF communication. Could be a neighbor’s 900 MHz spread spectrum cordless phone. I guess an Access Point failure such that it is sending false RF signals could also be a possibility but I have not seen any user post that type of Access Point failure. You could unplug all the Access Points except the one piggy backed on the PLM (I prefer plugged into the same circuit as the ISY PLM but not physically piggy backed on the PLM). Then see if the Motion Sensor can be added back. That would eliminate the other Access Points as a source of RF signal interference. The RF portion of the Insteon mess network cannot be configured or controlled by any Home Automation application which includes the ISY. There would seem to be no means for the ISY to be causing this.

Might try repeating the initial Access Point Set button procedure for insuring the Access Points are on opposite 120V legs and are receiving each other’s RF signal. If this procedure does not result in reliable Access Point LED response then there is either an Access Point failure or RF interference.

Lee

Lee, thanks for the suggestions on the Access Points, I will try removing all later today and starting from scratch with 2 of them. I understand the theory you are suggesting, but seems awfully strange that all these wireless issues started at 3am in the morning when I did the upgrade to 2.8.7., but stranger things have happened.

Michel,

I found another PLM when I was looking for the spare Access Point, so this morning I decided to change out the PLM and do a PLM restore. The newer PLM is a v7A. When I did the restore PLM it was not able to write to any of the wireless devices (in linking mode) unless I physically moved the devices in to the same room as the PLM. Sounds like the identical symptoms that were described on page 1 & 2 of this post by someone else. Also, even in the same room with the PLM, I was not able to add the Rev 2 motion sensor back in the system. It failed.

Hello jeffwild1,

Thanks so very much for trying. As far as I remember, the only good 2412 PLMs were v63 and v85.

This said, and as LeeG suggested, we are dealing with RF issues. Before doing anything else, we have to figure out why the signal is not getting too far from your PLM ... i.e. ignoring the Motion Sensor issue (which is a different problem), why aren't the signals reaching your RF devices if they are far? Why aren't the access points or other dual band devices repeating the signal?

When we answer these questions, then we can decide what to do with the PLM.

With kind regards,

Michel