Monitor Propane Usage?

sperok

Does anyone know of a meter that can monitor Propane usage from a residential tank (400 Gallon) and report via Insteon/UDI? The application is for monitoring consumption at a vacation rental property. I would love to get "Propane Low" warnings so I can notify the gas company to show up, and also to measure utilization during a guest stay so that if they do something dumb (like heat the swimming pool in the winter) I can bill them.

The RobertShaw RS-228 is an inexpensive $65 "Base station" that connects wirelessly (433 Mhz, 150 ft) to an $8 "Dial Face" mounted on the tank. This provides a nice in-home display - but no remote capability. Is there anything like this that supports automation?

Thanks,

Spero

Hi Spero

I too have looked for someway to interface my propane tank reading into

the automation system.

I did fine the following:

http://www.rochester-gauges.be/dataShee ... UMInst.pdf

It would provide an analog output and relay outputs for interfacing into

an automation system or local dial. The drawback is that it cost about $600.00.

Another alternative would be to connect the Rochester Remote Ready Dial R3D directly into an analog input like found on the EZIO2X4. The EZ can be

set for high and low values to send an ON or OFF. (Full - Low)

Here are the specs for the R3D:

http://www.rochester-gauges.be/dataShee ... HEInst.pdf

When Insteon comes up with a device that will send analog values similar

to the thermostat adapter I will revisit trying to interface the tank readings.

Hope this may give you some ideas.

Thanks

Gary

There was a thread on cocoontech.com about this issue. As I understand, the float in the tank turns a gauge that is insde the tank and magentized. The indicator needle that you see is placed over the magnet and follows it, thus allowing you to visualize the fluid level without having a physical connection to the inside of the tank (and thus no risk of it leaking).

It seems like the simple solution is to put a rheostat on that needle, but the problem is the magnet isn't strong enough to pull the exterior needle around with the added friction of the rheostat.

Brainstorming ideas

1) Place a series of magnetic contacts around the periphery and whereever the magnet is in the tank will close the nearest contact and indicate roughly the percentage full.

2) Use some sort of optical sensor that "sees" the position of the needle at various positions and similar to above, reports it.

3) Last idea, point an IP camera at the gauge and just look at it from home. You could have it automatically take a picture of the needle and email it to you once a day.

No matter what you do, I don't think Insteon is going to be helpful. There are ways I could wire this into my Elk M1G but I can't think of any reliable and reasonbly priced way to do it with Insteon.

Archived