Amazon Echo and ISY

madmartian

• 2 weeks later...

It's convoluted, but you can have IFTTT make HTTP calls.

https://discuss.ninjablocks.com/t/ifttt-http-post-kludge-but-works/1619

I host my own (fake) WordPress install, so I don't expose anything to others (for security).

IFTTT makes a call to my "fake" WordPress install, which then makes an HTTP call to my web server.

That HTTP call runs a PHP script, which makes the actual call to ISY.

I limit what I have exposed.  No ISY passwords are seen anywhere, except on servers I own/control.

Could you share the PHP Script that you use? Don't have much experience with actual coding, but this sounds like something I definitely want to test!

Could you share the PHP Script that you use? Don't have much experience with actual coding, but this sounds like something I definitely want to test!

The script is similar to the one here, for beacons: http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/14730-add-ibeacon-support-to-your-isy/page-2?hl=php&do=findComment&comment=124023

I attached a version of the IFTTT script.  You would need to update:

- $variableNumber (line 4)

- $variableValue (line 5)

- $urlStringNoPassword (line 11)

- $urlStringWithPassword (line 12)

- change the log file in the calls to "error_log"

You would need one script for every IFTTT action.  I haven't had time yet to look at making a generic script to take parameters.

Note: I have the "urlStringNoPassword" and "urlStringWithPassword" separate just for logging purposes (didn't want my password in logs).   They could be combined.

ifttt.php

@PurdueGuy Thanks!!! Got my Echo today and I now have a way to interface. Got everything working yesterday in anticipation and now I have a Echo that can use my automation. Currently it is a bit clunky since I am using IFTTT and the To-Do list to make the calls, but it works! "Alexa, put unlock front door on my to do list"... 5 seconds later, door unlocks! Pretty sweet!

• 2 weeks later...

@PurdueGuy Thanks!!! Got my Echo today and I now have a way to interface. Got everything working yesterday in anticipation and now I have a Echo that can use my automation. Currently it is a bit clunky since I am using IFTTT and the To-Do list to make the calls, but it works! "Alexa, put unlock front door on my to do list"... 5 seconds later, door unlocks! Pretty sweet!

5 seconds sounds great.  I recently put together a crude test using the Echo -> IFTTT -> CAO Gadget's Tag Manager -> ISY's REST interface so that adding something to the Echo's to-do list turns on a light.  I'm not sure if the slowdown is with IFTTT, the Tag Manager, or both, but it can easily take 5 minutes between me giving the vocal command and the light turning on.  Humorous, yes (it really did make me chuckle when the light finally turned on), but not very practical.

It makes one wonder exactly how much time actually passes during the time-lapse portion of this video: 

-Randy

Just wanted to share with everyone. Was browsing the HomeAutomation subreddit and stumbled across this post:https://www.reddit.com/r/homeautomation/comments/377onm/extending_amazon_echo_voice_control_to_existing/

In short summary, someone hacked the hue/wemo api and created a fake hue hub. It is a java applet that you can run that can be used to add any device to your ECHO! I set it up tonight and it worked flawlessly! I can control my lights through echo with just a "turn office light on" command. Soooo much better than the to-do list hack that I was using with IFTTT.

I set it up last night, pretty simple.

Currently I do the following:

Echo -> Hue bridge -> Vera

Some items have a further hop Vera -> ISY

I'll probably use the ISY proxy script, such that I don't have to hand over any passwords to Echo.

If you download the source, there is a "configurator.html" file that will generate the HTTP POSTs for you.

tezjet,

You are awesome! Sure enough I setup the Hue Emulator and created a simply ASP.NET Web Page that takes HTTP GET Requests (leveraging a url parameter to distinguish each device and on/off req) from the bridge emulator that in turn calls the ISY via Rest API (with authentication) and boom all my ISY related items in Echo. 

Is freaky fast! Alexa can not even finish saying OK before the lights go on or off. I would say happens within 1 to 2 seconds max.

"Alexa turn off kitchen lights" <--- works! WooHoo!

Going to work on making my ASP.NET Web Page also handle NEST Thermostat requests so, "Alexa turn on AC" would lower it by 2 and "Alexa turn off AC" would raise it by 2

So so happy!! 

Thanks again! 

Hi Guys,

This is fantastic. The question is how can we get away from using a modified Hue. I have already sent them a few emails but have not heard back. So, if any of you is registered as a Developer, i would appreciate it if you could help us figure out how to move this integration forward natively. 

Thanks in advance.

With kind regards,

Michel

I asked amazon support about the delay from echo to IFTTT - here is there response:

This is Brandon from Echo support, I was not aware of the delay either did a bit of researching and found that for the time being we have a delay of up to 15 minutes. I am hoping they are working on bringing this delay down once everything gets worked out. 

Currently, all recipes processed by Amazon Echo have up to a 15-minute delay. If you request a supported IFTTT task (such as adding an item to your Shopping list), the recipe may not trigger until after 15 minutes. 

Hi Guys,

This is fantastic. The question is how can we get away from using a modified Hue. I have already sent them a few emails but have not heard back. So, if any of you is registered as a Developer, i would appreciate it if you could help us figure out how to move this integration forward natively. 

Thanks in advance.

With kind regards,

Michel

I know its stupid but everyone should tweet @amazonecho telling them to let Micheal / Universal Devices in to the Dev program. This fits nicely in 160 char's:

"@amazonecho plz take Michel Kohanim's dev API req seriously. His org's ISY is #1 Insteon home controller. http://bit.ly/1FS2INM  I beg!!!!!!"

In many companies the social media department tends to have more pull then support org's. Make some noise and it may just help.

I know its stupid but everyone should tweet @amazonecho telling them to let Micheal / Universal Devices in to the Dev program. This fits nicely in 160 char's:

"@amazonecho plz take Michel Kohanim's dev API req seriously. His org's ISY is #1 Insteon home controller. http://bit.ly/1FS2INM I beg!!!!!!"

In many companies the social media department tends to have more pull then support org's. Make some noise and it may just help.

It's not stupid but if you want to get their attention the tweet needs to be professional and direct.

Punctuation marks add not herd animals.

just received my "Alexa AppKit" invitation, giving me assess to the Amazon Echo Developer program.  I haven't even logged into the developer site yet so know nothing as I post this.  When I do learn more, I'll share what little information the NDA allows (which could very well be nothing).  And, of course, see what I might do to help get UDI into the program.  They certainly deserve to get an invite more than I do.

As cool as the WeMo / Hue hack is, I'm hoping to avoid it and have Alexa on direct speaking terms with the ISY -- no interpreter required!

-Randy

Archived