Administrative Console Text Size

Methos000

Hi,  Is there any way to adjust the text size in the admin console java app?  I recently got a new laptop with a 3200x1800 resolution in a 15 inch screen.  It looks amazing in nearly every application, but in the admin console the text size is nearly unreadable it is so small.  Other applications seem to scale appropriately but this one doesn't.  The command prompt is the only other app I've used that is all squinty-text.

Thanks for your time!

• 4 months later...

haha I have same problem on my surface pro, so nice to hear this is on the list.

I tried turning off and on the high-DPI setting on Jave program executable - strangely it does effect the size of some fonts in the java app, but not the main ones :-)

Any updates in this area? I'm loving my ISY but it's so very hard to use the Java interface on a 4K monitor.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just found that there is a Windows option to select "disable display scaling on high dpi settings" in the shortcut properties. 

Right click the console shortcut and select PROPERTIES

Select the COMPATABILITY tab

In the Settings section, select the box next to "Disable display scaling on high dpi settings."

These instructions are from my Windows 10 desktop, earlier versions may be slightly different.

After making this change, the admin console now opens in a perfectly readable scale.

Combined with the recent console update that remembers the previous screen location, using the console on a multi-monitor setup is now pain free!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All,

There isn't a compatibility mode setting on admin.jnlp just on exe files. What file are you doing this compatibility mode setting on?

Scott

Scott

If you follow the steps in the previous post, when you right click on the admin console local icon, it applies the compatibility mode settings to the java environment (jp2launcher). Maybe W7 is different in that regard, I don't have a w7 environment.

Paul

Paul

I see what your saying now and I'm running Win 10 but not having any luck. Playing around with the compatibility troubleshooter I did finally get the 640 X 480 screen size to work but that resulted in the following Java error.

---------------------------
Java Web Start 11.66.2.18-fcs
Error encountered while invoking Java Web Start (SysExec) 
C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_66\bin\jp2launcher.exe
OK   

From the look of what little I could see on the screen that wasn't going to work either. I'm running on an iMac 5K (Boot Camp). When I run it in OSX it's gorgeous.

Scott

Paul

I see what your saying now and I'm running Win 10 but not having any luck. Playing around with the compatibility troubleshooter I did finally get the 640 X 480 screen size to work but that resulted in the following Java error.

Java Web Start 11.66.2.18-fcs
Error encountered while invoking Java Web Start (SysExec) 
C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_66\bin\jp2launcher.exe
OK   

From the look of what little I could see on the screen that wasn't going to work either. I'm running on an iMac 5K (Boot Camp). When I run it in OSX it's gorgeous.

Scott

Scott, ok, I picked around in the java / bin folder. The settings seemed to have landed on javaws.exe . Change that and see if that works.

Edit. now I see something else. After the first time I run the admin.jnlp, I right click on its icon in the task bar and add that to the task bar. It changes to the ISY icon (house on globe). My directions start by right clicking that.

Paul

Paul

I saw your message this morning and went to try it but now I have Java stuck in 640 X 480 and I can't change it. I've removed Java, deleted the files in the program folder, rebooted, and re-installed it but when I go to check the version I get a 640 X 480 window that's very hard to navigate. I have nothing set in compatibility mode but it's stuck there at 640 X 480. Google hasn't helped and I'm currently at a loss for the next step. While in this 640 X 480 screen I've managed to get to display settings and set things right but then it always reverts back. There must be a setting in the registry that doesn't get cleared when I uninstall. Anyway thanks for your suggestion and I will pursue it when I can.

Scott

• 11 months later...

Glad I found this thread, and it solves a problem I was having too. But is there a way to make this "automatic"? By that I mean that, with the increasing usage of 4K monitors, many programs automatically figure things out and resize fonts, spacing, window size, etc. automatically, as the default condition. This would be a step in the direction of addressing the "DOS-like" criticisms I've heard about this essential program, which I love, incidentally. Just trying to be helpful, not critical...Jack

Glad I found this thread, and it solves a problem I was having too. But is there a way to make this "automatic"? By that I mean that, with the increasing usage of 4K monitors, many programs automatically figure things out and resize fonts, spacing, window size, etc. automatically, as the default condition. This would be a step in the direction of addressing the "DOS-like" criticisms I've heard about this essential program, which I love, incidentally. Just trying to be helpful, not critical...Jack

Welcome to the forums!

NO automatic font sizing, only manual.

Font sizing should really be the jobs of any decent OS making the system hardware independent. Trouble is the font size is an out of date syste based on printer dots and vide card dots and not the actual size seen by the user. Windows has attempted to correct some of this by implementing scaling factors on the fonts but has let the user base down, apparently. Apple, Andoid and ancient Linux knock offs, have done worse.

This should not be up to the application to determine the size of your monitor but I guess a few more gigabytes of code spread and duplicated through every application known to mankind is OK in this wasteful era. :)

Archived