Water Pump Email Alerts

smokegrub

The pump is plugged into an outlet. I plan to plug the Outdoor Module into the outlet, the SynchroLinc into the Outdoor Module and the pump into the SynchroLinc. Your program will address long pump run times. I will use simple on and off programs to give me data on frequency. All programs will be enabled when we are away from the location.

Those amperage ratings are likely for 120V/240V operation with the lower amperage being for the 240V configuration.

-Xathros

Cathryn is correct about the amp draw. First you need to determine what voltage the pump is configured for. Saying it is plugged in to an outlet doesn't mean it is a 110 volt outlet.

Once you have a SynchroLinc  it should be simple to calibrate your current settings all from your Admin Console.

You can do successive approximations of current settings by turning a faucet  on and off, somewhere closer to your Admin Console access. Just keep reducing or increasing settings until they fail and then back them off for a safety margin.

I set mine up on my dryer (120 vac gas) and I can detect even if the door is left open (6w bulb)  and send a notification that the dryer door is open. Normally it just runs the back doorbell when the load is done if motion isn't detected in the laundry room within 5 minutes.

They do work well.

The current ratings sound a little light for 3/4 hp but who knows with the more efficient pumps these days?

Using "typical" values for an electric motor, 90% efficiency and 85% power factor, a .75 HP pump @ 110VAC pulls 7 amperes, so the label is correct.

Yes it does.  220/240v outlets do not fit 110/120 plugs.

But you can get a 220 volt plug.

Yes, the original post indicated 110 volts, but then the question came up about the amperage, indicating the pump is dual voltage. I am suggesting the actual voltage the pump is running on be verified.

Dennis

But you can get a 220 volt plug.

Yes, the original post indicated 110 volts, but then the question came up about the amperage, indicating the pump is dual voltage. I am suggesting the actual voltage the pump is running on be verified.

Dennis

I would hope that the OP would easily and instantly recognize that the receptacle/plug is not a standard NEMA 5-15 or 5-20 as the 240v style receptacles are quite obviously different.  Unless some yahoo decided to wire up a 120v receptacle to 240v, and decided to wire a 120 plug to the 240v terminals on the pump, there is no risk of making a mistake here.  If you wanted to be 100% sure, then check the panel and see what voltage breaker shuts off the pump.

If indeed the pump has a 240v option, I don't see any reason to mess with it.  You are only talking 7 amps at 120v, well within even the most wimpy of 15 amp receptacles. And going with 240v would mean no synchrolinc option and no outdoor on/off switch available.  The only possible reason to switch to 240 is if there is a long run of wire.

It's too bad that the outdoor on/off switch doesn't have "sense", it would eliminate the need for the synchrolinc.  

• 2 weeks later...

I have the SynchroLinc installed and this is what I got:

Trigger Threshold Watts: 9

Holdoff (Secs) 1.34

Hysteresis (Watts) 5

I wrote a quick program to send a notification when the pump turns on. The problem is that I got 2 notifications. I don't know the significance of these data ans especially hysteresis (what is that!) so I don't know how to proceed with troubleshooting.

Holdoff (Secs) 1.34

Hysteresis (Watts) 5

I wrote a quick program to send a notification when the pump turns on. The problem is that I got 2 notifications. I don't know the significance of these data ans especially hysteresis (what is that!) so I don't know how to proceed with troubleshooting.

Usually with notifications you need to use two programs.

The first program has the trigger and calls the second program (disabled) as a subroutine.

The second program disables the first program, sends out notifications, waits awhile until ready for another notification, and then enables the first  program again.

Hysteresis is the deadband between on and off levels.

Holdoff (Secs) 1.34

Hysteresis (Watts) 5

Here is a better example of how its phrased from my archive:

SynchroLinc2_zps14229be4.png

Settings_zpse1tjbaua.png

Holdoff (Secs) 1.34

Hysteresis (Watts) 5

Hysteresis is the shape of the output curve over time based on the input state.  In this situation, the output "curve" is binary, on or off..  What you need to know is at what point the input will shift the output from on to off or off to on.  It is how far across the threshold you have to go to move from one state to the other.  So a threshold of 10 watts and a hysteresis of 1 watt would look for 11 watts to switch from off to on and 9 watts to go the other way.  If someone has more detailed knowledge of Insteon's definition of hysteresis, please let me know.

EDIT:  This is from wikipedia describing a thermostat switch, but the same applies here.  

"Hysteresis can be used to filter signals so that the output reacts more slowly than it otherwise would, by taking recent history into account. For example, a thermostat controlling a heater may turn the heater on when the temperature drops below A degrees, but not turn it off until the temperature rises above B degrees (e.g., if one wishes to maintain a temperature of 20 °C, then one might set the thermostat to turn the furnace on when the temperature drops below 18 °C, and turn it off when the temperature exceeds 22 °C). This thermostat has hysteresis. Thus the on/off output of the thermostat to the heater when the temperature is between A and B depends on the history of the temperature. This prevents rapid switching on and off as the temperature drifts around the set point.

The thermostat is a system; the input is the temperature, and the output is the furnace state. The furnace is either off or on, with nothing in between. If the temperature is 21 °C, it is not possible to determine whether the furnace is on or off without knowing the history of the temperature.

Similarly, a pressure switch can be designed to exhibit hysteresis, with pressure setpoints substituted for temperature thresholds."

I'm just not positive if the hysteresis value means what I said above.  In other words, does 10 watts threshold, 1 watt hysteresis mean 9 and 11 are the triggers, or 9.5 and 10.5?

I changed the wait to 10 and the system is performing flawlessly. Before I did that I got 2 On and 2 Off notifications when the pump started. Now, as planned, I get the appropriate notifications. Final setup: Outdoor Module plugged into a 110v outlet (used the outdoor module because of high humidity in the cellar). A SynchroLinc is plugged into the Outdoor Module. This setup allows me to remotely control the On/Off status of the pump and to receive a notification when the pump turns On and Off. I also have programming to send a notification if the pump runs for more than 5 minutes. That would let me know if a major break has occurred or someone has left a hose bibb, etc. on. I am pleased with the outcome and very much appreciate the invaluable help received here.

I changed the wait to 10 and the system is performing flawlessly. Before I did that I got 2 On and 2 Off notifications when the pump started. Now, as planned, I get the appropriate notifications. Final setup: Outdoor Module plugged into a 110v outlet (used the outdoor module because of high humidity in the cellar). A SynchroLinc is plugged into the Outdoor Module. This setup allows me to remotely control the On/Off status of the pump and to receive a notification when the pump turns On and Off. I also have programming to send a notification if the pump runs for more than 5 minutes. That would let me know if a major break has occurred or someone has left a hose bibb, etc. on. I am pleased with the outcome and very much appreciate the invaluable help received here.

Any photo's to share with the kids?  :mrgreen:

Archived