NuTone NGD00Z Garage Door Controller

MikeD

I have been thinking about replacing the IOLinc that controls my garage door with a Z-Wave controller for a while. After doing some searching I found this newly released NuTone NGD00Z Z-Wave Garage Door Controller.

It is listed on the Z-Wave Alliance web site as a Z-Wave Plus device.

http://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1298 

Other information on the Z-Wave Alliance site

http://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1298/embedassoc

Group ID=1

Maximum Nodes=5

http://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1298/embedpics

Supported Command Classes=11

Here are the installation instructions for the unit.

http://www.nutone.com/common/productDigitalAssethandler.ashx?id=bd88a0e5-3eaf-41b5-a688-d17c36e10291

Of note are the following statements contained within the instructions.

- This is a Security enabled Z-Wave product and must be used with a Security enabled Z-Wave controller in order to fully utilize this product. As such, this device will not respond to Basic CC commands.

- ASSOCIATION: The NGD00Z supports 1 Group with 1 Node. Group 1 must be assigned the Node ID of the controller to which unsolicited notifications from the NGD00Z will be sent. The Z-Wave controller should set this association automatically after inclusion.

ISSUES

The NuTone NGD00Z Garage Door Controller added to the ISY without issue however there is only one node called 'ZW 011 Barrier' showing a status of 'Stopped' and the status never changes. If I tilt the associated battery operated garage door sensor I see action in the Event Viewer level-3, but no change in the status. Also clicking on the 'Open' or 'Close' buttons in the Admin Panel has no effect on the two wires coming out of the unit provided to trigger the garage door opener. I do see Event Viewer level-3 action but no indication of a short/open when placing an ohmmeter across the wires, the status of ‘Stopped’ in the Admin Counsel does not change and the device does not flash of beep as noted in the manual.

I opened a ticket with UDI Support and have been communicating with them in an attempt to get it working. Will update this topic as things develop.

~Mike

• 1 month later...

Hi Michel,

Just curious to see if you had a chance to check this device out yet. Mine is on the shelf until then.

I know you are working feverishly on v5 and this may be on the back burner for a while.

Thanks,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

MikeD (or anyone else who has investigated this product)

Did your issues with the NuTone NGD00Z Z-Wave Garage Door Controller get resolved?  I am relatively new to the ISY (and a first-time poster here), and I am considering this product for my garage.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

• 1 month later...

Sorry I am late answering your question. I think it depends on what ISY software release you have.

- If you are running one of the version 5 releases then it might work.

- If you are running the latest official version 4 release, v4.5.1; - NO same problem as in first post above.

This device is probably multi-channel and is not compatible with v4. I have it in a box until decide to try v5 which is presently Alpha.

~Mike

• 3 weeks later...

The NuTone appears to be the same as this Linear device 

http://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1458

I've had three of the linear devices working with my ISY for over two years.

Here are the product details that came with my Linear openers.

GD00Z-4 Overview
• A garage door opener remote
command transceiver with built-in
Z-Wave technology.
• Allows remote operation of a garage
door opener using Z-Wave controllers.
• Acts as a Z-Wave repeater to improve
communications within the Z-Wave
mesh network.
GD00Z-4 Summary of Operation
• GD00Z-4 connects to the garage door
opener’s pushbutton wall console
terminals.
• A wireless tilt sensor mounts on the
garage door and reports the door’s
position to the GD00Z-4.
• GD00Z-4 responds to Z-Wave
commands from Z-Wave controllers to
open or close the garage door.
• A warning indicator light fl ashes and
a beeper sounds for 5 seconds before
the door begins to move.
• If the door does not completely
open or close, a second open or
close command can be sent after
30 seconds.
• If the door does not completely open
or close after the second attempt,
the GD00Z-4 operation is suspended
until a local garage door pushbutton is
activated.
Z-Wave Information
• Z-Wave® is a registered trademark
of Sigma Designs Inc. and/or its
subsidiaries.
• Z-Wave is an Interoperable two-way RF
mesh networking technology designed
for use with a Z-Wave gateway/
controller and other Z-Wave enabled
devices.
• Replication is the process of copying or
transferring your Z-Wave network from
one controller to another.
• This is a Security enabled Z-Wave
product and must be used with a
Security enabled Z-Wave controller
in order to fully utilize this product. As
such, this device will not respond to
Basic CC commands.
• ASSOCIATION: The GD00Z-4 supports
1 Group with 1 Node. Group 1 must be
assigned the Node ID of the controller
to which unsolicited notifications from
the GD00Z-4 will be sent. The Z-Wave
controller should set this association
automatically after inclusion.

Hi dbuss,

I know it looks like the Linear unit and the specifications appear to be exactly the same however I still have the same problem. I have tried to exclude / include my unit a few times and there is still only one node that shows up in the ISY named 'Barrier' that always has a status of 'Stopped' no matter what I try. I suppose this could be a defective unit and if so I am out of luck since it was purchased a year ago.

~Mike

• 2 months later...

I installed two of the GoControl units in my garage yesterday, as I need the secure repeater functionality they provide.  They both work as intended using ISY firmware 5.0.8.

In the Admin Console, the text status of the devices toggles from:

Closed --> Opening --> Open

or

Open --> Closing --> Closed

• 2 months later...

I have same problem as initially described installing GD00Z-4 on 5.0.9. Only barrier device shows (it is working correctly), however the main device for the garage door control is not getting added.

I might be misunderstanding, but mine only added as a barrier device (see screenshot), but they work just fine.

Here's the device info:

Sat 04/22/2017 06:45:02 : [ZW-SHOW         ] ----------------------------------------------
Sat 04/22/2017 06:45:02 : [ZW-SHOW         ] ZW011_1 uid=11 type=4.64.7 mid=335 tid=18244 pid=13616 model=0
Sat 04/22/2017 06:45:02 : [ZW-SHOW         ]    -  x5E  V2  ZWAVEPLUS_INFO
Sat 04/22/2017 06:45:02 : [ZW-SHOW         ]    -  x5A  V1  DEVICE_RESET_LOCALLY
Sat 04/22/2017 06:45:02 : [ZW-SHOW         ]    -  x72  V2  MANUFACTURER_SPECIFIC
Sat 04/22/2017 06:45:02 : [ZW-SHOW         ]    -  x73  V1  POWERLEVEL
Sat 04/22/2017 06:45:02 : [ZW-SHOW         ]    -  x98  V1  SECURITY
Sat 04/22/2017 06:45:02 : [ZW-SHOW         ]
Sat 04/22/2017 06:45:02 : [ZW-SHOW         ] Node  11 - ZW 011 West Garage Door has the following neighbors
Sat 04/22/2017 06:45:02 : [ZW-SHOW         ]    -          - Node   3 - ZW 003 Garbage Door Lock
Sat 04/22/2017 06:45:02 : [ZW-SHOW         ]    - Repeater - Node   7 - ZW 007 Siren
Sat 04/22/2017 06:45:02 : [ZW-SHOW         ]    - Repeater - Node   8 - ZW 008 Multilevel Sensor
Sat 04/22/2017 06:45:02 : [ZW-SHOW         ]    - Repeater - Node   9 - ZW 009 Multilevel Sensor
Sat 04/22/2017 06:45:02 : [ZW-SHOW         ]    - Repeater - Node  10 - ZW 010 Water Cop
Sat 04/22/2017 06:45:02 : [ZW-SHOW         ]    - Repeater - Node  12 - ZW 012 East Garage Door
Sat 04/22/2017 06:45:02 : [ZW-SHOW         ]
Sat 04/22/2017 06:45:03 : [ZW-SHOW         ] Node  11 - ZW 011 West Garage Door has 1 association group
Sat 04/22/2017 06:45:09 : [ZW-SHOW         ]    Associations for group 001 of ZW011_1 ZW 011 West Garage Door
Sat 04/22/2017 06:45:09 : [ZW-SHOW         ]       - Node   1 - [This ISY]
Sat 04/22/2017 06:45:09 : [ZW-SHOW         ]
Sat 04/22/2017 06:45:09 : [ZW-SHOW         ] ----------------------------------------------

post-7363-0-38211000-1492870210_thumb.png

Archived