MobiLinc to ISY Portal Transition

DavidG

• 2 months later...

I contacted Mobilinc and they said the app can not be used if the ISY portal is being used. I explained in order to use the Amazon Echo with the ISY I needed to switch to the ISY portal, and they said it basically makes Mobilinc inoperable for the functions I need. Is there some work around? Or, is there another program I can use to view what lights are on and control them remotely?

You can also configure the Mobilinc app to work against the ISY portal, without needing the ddns or port forwarding.

It's a little bit of FUD from Mobilinc I'm afraid. They are really meaning that it's unsupported. They shouldn't be saying it won't work (because it does work) - and certainly shouldn't be pressuring people into spending $5 more per year making this claim for a Portal product that (in my opinion) is less secure. They require you to give your Mobilinc password to IFTTT if you want to integrate there, rather than the token method that UDI has implemented (which is way more secure). Also, Mobilinc only have an Alexa skill - while ISY Portal gives you a Skill as well as native Connected Home functionality - and the bonus network module for local IP control.

Can someone direct me to step by step instructions on making this work with Mobilinc? I did pretty good with setting everything up, but I'm definitely a little in the dark with the correct procedure to make this work. I've been able to pretty much automate all my lights with voice commands thru Echo using IFTTT recipes. All this from a mom who could barely change a light bulb a couple of years ago.

Can someone direct me to step by step instructions on making this work with Mobilinc? I did pretty good with setting everything up, but I'm definitely a little in the dark with the correct procedure to make this work. I've been able to pretty much automate all my lights with voice commands thru Echo using IFTTT recipes. All this from a mom who could barely change a light bulb a couple of years ago.

http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY_Portal_MobiLinc_Configuration
  • 7 months later...

MWareman and Michael -

is there ANY easier app to configure on Android than tasker? I spent all afternoon following the WIKI instructions fro geofencing through the Portal (which I just recently purchased) and when testing the actions, I get an input/output error. I would have NO idea where to start tracing that down. I have been using mobilinc with port forwarding but that is only on my Ipad and I want to bring the geofencing capabilities to my android phone. Help!

MWareman and Michael -

is there ANY easier app to configure on Android than tasker? I spent all afternoon following the WIKI instructions fro geofencing through the Portal (which I just recently purchased) and when testing the actions, I get an input/output error. I would have NO idea where to start tracing that down. I have been using mobilinc with port forwarding but that is only on my Ipad and I want to bring the geofencing capabilities to my android phone. Help!

I'm out of town currently, so it will be a few days before I can look into it.

Can you detail the profiles you've created, the results you get etc.

Tasker can create a runtime of actions as well (check the Tasker manual). This can really help also. Be sure to sanitize the API key and any username/password that it will almost certainly contain...

Michael.

Getting the screenshot from my Android to the board here is proving a challenge. So I will try to reproduce I below. But one of things you guys made me think about was the email address. There was something in the Wiki that I didn't quite understand so I breezed past it. The error below kind of eludes to it. So I wonder if this is contributing to the error.

If you use the ISY Portal - you must URL encode the username (since it has a @ in it). @ encodes to %40. ​I didn't do this because I am not sure what it means.

So in the lists of "meta-tasks" - it tells me to "test" -

Manually run the 'ISY-Set-Car-Exit' task the first time (while not in the car!), and verify the 'In Car' variable changes from '2' to '0'.

​I was attempting to do that (I assumed by the little "play" button in the lower left hand corner) when I got this error:

Error

Input/Output error for http://192.168.1.250//rest/vars/set/2/2/%par2:java.io.IOException: invalid % sequence: %pa in path at index 40: http://192.168.1.250//rest/vars/set/2/2/%par2.

Michael is the expert, but I will take a crack at it until he can respond.

Take another look at the Wiki, there are two screen shots right under that section. The screenshot on the left is for first connection. The screenshot on the right is for use with the portal.

The second "Vars" is what you are interested in - %ISYURLExternal. The correct address is: https://user%40domain.com:password@my.isy.io.

If you substitute your user name, domain, and password, does your entry look the same? Note the %40 after user and before domain name instead of the @ symbol.

Regards,

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Thanks! I have made those changes - I understand now. But I "run" ISY-Set_Car-Exit now and the error is bigger - meaning more "stuff" in the error message. here is something.When I go to my VARS, I have 4 items instead of 3. I have an additional one called %URLPrefix. I am not sure how that got there. Could that be the problem?

Thanks again!

What is the current value of %URLPrefix? It's set based on which Instructions you followed. It's either a slash (/), or the secret key for your organization accounts (with a /). There are two companion variables, bother with URLPrefix in them - you set these manually. The state programs copy the appropriate one live for use based on the detection of the wifi network.

So, check you have all 3 URLPrefix variables, and they have sensible values.

Archived