Newbie questions - Insteon

GuitarMan86

Hi All,

My first post so apologies on proper locations for anything I list here......and also for the extensive questions :) researching as I go.

I have ordered a new ISY994iZw and am starting to ramp up on the Wiki and supported documentation (awaiting arrival of the unit).

Couple of questions in regards to Insteon as I have not built out my environment yet and am looking to purchase the correct devices.

1.  The ISY994 will be the controller for the Insteon devices (no need for the Insteon hub as a middleware/hardware)...correct?

2.  I am mapping out the proper switches for Insteon now in my home.

a.  Are there certain model dimmer switches supported by the ISY?  Any recommendations on model numbers that I can look at.  Just want to make sure.

b.  Lightbulb models to stick with?

Here is my project:

Purchased an Amazon Echo (waiting for arrival) and looking to implement this into the ISY once things get situated.  I also have a home Theater room which currently has all my audio/TV components controlled by SimpleControl (works well...but no lighting added yet).

Will be looking to implement the ISY into the home audio environment with light control (for starters; Insteon switches and scenes).  Several dimmer switches in the Theater room to do.  Will point the SimpleControl app to the ISY for lighting here (it does support Insteon as well).

Will work the Insteon switches into main areas of the house to follow (living/dining/family/kitchen/hallways/master) using the ISY.  Moveable lamps will be bulbs and switches will be mainly dimmer use.

I also will use the Echo to trigger commands for a Rachio irrigation system that I have in place (I see that Echo handles this as well so no need to incorporate the ISY here?)

Have a 2GIG GC3 security system panel that is NOT wireless (cellular card only) and uses zwave for all sensors and is the primary controller for all security devices.  Is there any sense here to incorporate the ISY as a secondary controller to handle the security system devices or leave it as is?  It does handle lighting scenes within the unit and I would like to utilize lighting scenes when the system is armed/away. 

Any thoughts on these multiple subjects (sorry for rambling on  ;) ) appreciated.

Thanks

1. You do not the Hub and you should not use it at this time.

2a. All Insteon dimmers are ISY compatible.

2b. Do you mean LEDs or something else?

If you want to control Z-Wave devices, then you need the ISY Z-Wave model (if you didn't but the Z-Wave compatible ISY). You will also need to purchase the portal subscription ($49/2 yrs) to incorporate the Echo.

Thanks for the quick responses....

1.  Great, figured as much... just checking.

2b. Not LED...just normal bulbs so I assume all ISY compatible based on answer to 2a.

I did purchase the ISY zwave model (Amazon:  Universal Devices ISY994i ZW/IR PRO Z-Wave | INSTEON | X10 Automation Controller )

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Devices-ISY994i-ZW-PRO/dp/B00MDVW7HS?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01

So, the portal subscription is $49/2 yrs)?  Ok, didn't get that far yet.  Good to know.  Will investigate the Echo forum section further.

You will need an Insteon 2413S PLM to interface the ISY to the powerline.  This is not a Hub but rather just a serial powerline modem.  Not sure if what you ordered includes this but most kits do.

-Xathros

You will need an Insteon 2413S PLM to interface the ISY to the powerline.  This is not a Hub but rather just a serial powerline modem.  Not sure if what you ordered includes this but most kits do.

-Xathros

The provided link states, "INSTEON/X10 REQUIRES 2413S PLM *NOT INCLUDED."

When starting out and you need massive quantities of some  things. Looks for the multi-packs(4-8  units) from amazon.com, sharthome.com, costco.com Watch for special from time to time. Many are reported here in this forum.

or if in Canada the *.ca equivalents and aartech.ca for best service and prices.

You will need larger quantities of  wire-in SwitchLinc dimmers (come in non-dimming and dimmer modules - I only use dimmers), LampLinc plug-in dimmers, OnOffLinc? plug-in modules (3wire plugs). Motion Sensors, LeakLincs are also available in multi-pack.

Welcome to Insteon, ISY and the forum!    .and oh yeah......Zwave too.

2b. Not LED...just normal bulbs so I assume all ISY compatible based on answer to 2a.

At this point in time, LEDs are standard, so you probably mean incandescent energy wasters B)

-Xathros

Any preferences to Serial vs USB for the PLM? I see there are two.

Any preferences to Serial vs USB for the PLM? I see there are two.

USB will NOT work.  Must be a 2413S Serial PLM.  Or an older 2412S but unlikely you will find one of those anywhere.

-Xathros

Have a 2GIG GC3 security system panel that is NOT wireless (cellular card only) and uses zwave for all sensors and is the primary controller for all security devices.  Is there any sense here to incorporate the ISY as a secondary controller to handle the security system devices or leave it as is?  It does handle lighting scenes within the unit and I would like to utilize lighting scenes when the system is armed/away. 

I'm going to offer my feed back from a security and compliance stand point and you will have to decide what suites your lifestyle, and current risk(s).

1. Security Alarm System: Should always operate in a stand alone mode that does not allow none UL / cUL compliant devices to have command and control of the system. Since most users here are consumers and often put convenience over compliance this is up to you.

2. You can make either device a primary vs secondary and depends upon your use case and which hardware device offers the most features and options to suite your needs.

Thanks Xathros....good to know.

So, I will pick up the 2413s serial PLM to interface to the ISY along with Insteon switches and LED bulbs. Didn't catch that in the link description. Thank you guys

OTOH: If you went purely Zwave you would need the Zwave adapter PCB that plugs inside the ISY994 (your model already has it) and then the PLM  for Insteon devices would not be required.

I'm going to offer my feed back from a security and compliance stand point and you will have to decide what suites your lifestyle, and current risk(s).

1. Security Alarm System: Should always operate in a stand alone mode that does not allow none UL / cUL compliant devices to have command and control of the system. Since most users here are consumers and often put convenience over compliance this is up to you.

2. You can make either device a primary vs secondary and depends upon your use case and which hardware device offers the most features and options to suite your needs.

Thanks Teken....

I agree with number one as this is my primary concern around compliance.

That being said, I would like to add (if possible) the ISY as a secondary controller (which I believe can be done) so I may incorporate the lighting portions into scenes for arming the system.

Is this something that others do here? Where the 2GIG panel has the ability to add a secondary controller (being z-wave I assume), I was hoping to utilize the Insteon lighting to make scenes. Have yet to get this far....but thinking ahead.

Thanks Teken....

I agree with number one as this is my primary concern around compliance.

That being said, I would like to add (if possible) the ISY as a secondary controller (which I believe can be done) so I may incorporate the lighting portions into scenes for arming the system.

Is this something that others do here? Where the 2GIG panel has the ability to add a secondary controller (being z-wave I assume), I was hoping to utilize the Insteon lighting to make scenes. Have yet to get this far....but thinking ahead.

I've read of several people doing exactly what you asked vs others made the ISY a primary instead of a secondary controller. The obvious power comes from the 994 Series Controllers conditional logic which very few systems offer.

What does the alarm panel offer in terms of lighting control now? Also, does it support all Z-Wave devices from all the major vendors? I ask because reading some of the other forums it seems some of these companies restrict the Z-Wave hardware to only their specific brand.

Which goes against the Z-Wave alliance guidelines . . .

Archived