Motion Sensor not resetting lighting

mefree

With the option set to "On commands only" the sensor will send an On each time motion is sensed. It will never send an off. That why Control is used in a program. Status won't work because the status never changes. Off is controlled by the program, not the sensor.

Edit: Add a Wait to the program.

Sorry for my ignorance, where would I add the wait and for how long? (Also what purpose does the 'wait' serve?)

Ok, so any idea why the below program is not executing?  According to the 'summary' page, it's never executing;

Master Bathroom Sensor Trigger - [iD 0006][Parent 0001]
If

Control 'Insteon / Master Bedroom / Master Bathroom Motion Sensor' is switched On

Then

Run Program 'Master Bathroom Auto Lights' (If)

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Has your admin console timed out?

When mine times out the icons at the top of the Admin Console go all grey. Then no updates are had on the screen.

This happens when Java just times out like a screen savers for some reason. Then I have to reboot my Admin Console. This can happen immediately when I open it or hours later sometimes.

You should be able to see the icon colours in the program tree change colour, if you have that option turned on.

Also try right clicking on your programs and selecting "Run Then" to test your programs without MS intervention. Now you can isolate the problem to program or MS.

Has your admin console timed out?

When mine times out the icons at the top of the Admin Console go all grey. Then no updates are had on the screen.

This happens when Java just times out like a screen savers for some reason. Then I have to reboot my Admin Console. This can happen immediately when I open it or hours later sometimes.

You should be able to see the icon colours in the program tree change colour, if you have that option turned on.

Also try right clicking on your programs and selecting "Run Then" to test your programs without MS intervention. Now you can isolate the problem to program or MS.

Hi, the admin console I don't believe had timed out.  I closed it and re-opened it and everything is the same.  I've ran the 'run then' test and that works fine.  It's only the 'if' part of the MS triggering the first program that isn't happened.  Not sure why it wouldn't be.  The red light blinks on the motion sensor and when I had it set to send 'off' commands that was happening, so I'm sure the motion sensor is communicating fine.

Sorry for my ignorance, where would I add the wait and for how long? (Also what purpose does the 'wait' serve?)

If I can guess what Stu is getting at, the 'Wait 2 seconds' will change the visual response time of the con change in the program tree.

This will allow you to see the MS trigger the program for say 1-2 seconds and then turn off again.

We need to break this down into

1. proving your MS is even linked to ISY properly
  2. proving the MS is triggering your program
  3. proving your programs are operating your lights.

If I can guess what Stu is getting at, the 'Wait 2 seconds' will change the visual response time of the con change in the program tree.

This will allow you to see the MS trigger the program for say 1-2 seconds and then turn off again.

We need to break this down into

1. proving your MS is even linked to ISY properly
  2. proving the MS is triggering your program
  3. proving your programs are operating your lights.

1 - I've proven the MS is linked to the ISY.  I've done so a few ways.  One, when I query options I am able to get them from the MS, and when the MS was set to send 'off' commands the ISY would show state changes.

2 - The MS is not triggering the program.  This is where the problem lies.  I've proven this as the 'last run time' never updates when triggering motion on either program.

3 - The program is able to operate the lights when I right click and do 'run then'.  Lights turn on as they should.

Hi, the admin console I don't believe had timed out.  I closed it and re-opened it and everything is the same.  I've ran the 'run then' test and that works fine.  It's only the 'if' part of the MS triggering the first program that isn't happened.  Not sure why it wouldn't be.  The red light blinks on the motion sensor and when I had it set to send 'off' commands that was happening, so I'm sure the motion sensor is communicating fine.

MS units are notorious for having really strange things happen if not Factory Rest before linking to ISY.

I have ten MS units and half of them dod things that shouldn't be possible until factory reset and then restored with proper links from ISY.

I recommend you do this by removing the battery for ten seconds, reconnecting while you hold the linking button down, until it totally stops buzzing. Tap the link button twice to take out of Linking mode.

Now put the MS back into linking mode and right click on the MS in the device tree and select restore.

Back to normal mode again.

After that tap the linking button several times and watch your ISY status page. Doing this you can send alternating On and Off signals to test the pathway to the status indication.After that the rest is programming.

1 - I've proven the MS is linked to the ISY.  I've done so a few ways.  One, when I query options I am able to get them from the MS, and when the MS was set to send 'off' commands the ISY would show state changes.

2 - The MS is not triggering the program.  This is where the problem lies.  I've proven this as the 'last run time' never updates when triggering motion on either program.

3 - The program is able to operate the lights when I right click and do 'run then'.  Lights turn on as they should.

Ok, I tried disabling the 'sensor' program and then re-enabled it.  The motion sensor triggered and the 'last run time' updated :-)  SO yeah, progress I think :-).  The 'then' must have worked because the 'master bathroom auto lights' program shows an updated 'last run time' state as well, but the lights didn't change state this time.  Sadly though the lights didn't trigger.  That said, I feel like I am getting closer :wink:

Not complete. The MS will have at least three links to PLM/ISY.

There is a Light/Dark link, a Motion Link, and a few others.

Ok, I tried disabling the 'sensor' program and then re-enabled it.  The motion sensor triggered and the 'last run time' updated :-)  SO yeah, progress I think :-).  The 'then' must have worked because the 'master bathroom auto lights' program shows an updated 'last run time' state as well, but the lights didn't change state this time.  Sadly though the lights didn't trigger.  That said, I feel like I am getting closer :wink:

Ok awesome!  Apparently it actually is working now! :-)  Just my stupid INSTEON Hub app wasn't updating the status correctly.  (I'm on a long boring work conference call at the moment so I can't physically see the lights, was just using the hub app as a second independent source to verify status.)  Have the motion sensor sitting here on my desk with me.  I try to maximize my wasted time on conference calls.

Anyhow, THANK YOU EVERYONE for all the help!  I'll test more for real and hopefully everything really is working as I believe it is.  Thanks!

Ok awesome!  Apparently it actually is working now! :-)  Just my stupid INSTEON Hub app wasn't updating the status correctly.  (I'm on a long boring work conference call at the moment so I can't physically see the lights, was just using the hub app as a second independent source to verify status.)  Have the motion sensor sitting here on my desk with me.  I try to maximize my wasted time on conference calls.

Anyhow, THANK YOU EVERYONE for all the help!  I'll test more for real and hopefully everything really is working as I believe it is.  Thanks!

Just as a summary for anyone else in the future going through this thread, after I used the methods others told me, I had to disable/re-enable my sensor program before it started picking up the motion sensor status changes.  Once that happened everything started working great.

"Insteon Hub" is a completely unrelated product????

You can't use both without lots of trouble and understanding to avoid system confusion.

Front Hall MS
If
        Control 'IN / Devices / IN Front Hall-Sensor' is switched On  <-- use Control, not Status

Then
        Set 'IN / Devices / IN Front Hall KPL Light 15' 33%  <-- set an On-level
        Wait  3 minutes and 10 seconds  <-- select a duration of you choosing
        Set 'IN / Devices / IN Front Hall KPL Light 15' Off  <-- the load won't turn off without this statement

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Create a program that disables this on if the load is turned on manually (Control) and enables the program when the load is turned off.

Enable Program
If
        Control 'IN / Devices / IN Front Hall KPL Light 15' is switched On  <-- runs Then when the device is manually turned on
    And Control 'IN / Devices / IN Front Hall KPL Light 15' is not switched Off  <-- <-- runs Else when the device is manually turned off

Then
        Disable Program 'Front Hall MS Off'

Else
        Enable Program 'Front Hall MS Off'

Archived