New Node Server Selections in ISY Portal

andyf0

You can try it with 5.0.8+, it does work.

There is a known bug that may happen when adding/removing mobile devices. If it happens, just retry it after a few minutes. This is likely to be fixed in 5.0.9.

When your mobile devices are created successfully, it's stable.

Benoit

Can I assume that we shouldn't be messing with these until we have 5.0.9?

I fiddled with it this morning ( firmware 5.0.8 ) to no productive end.  I get "HTTP error 401" when I attempt "Upload nodes definitions", in the Configuration menu (I'm only speculating on what this means in this application).  I've got other node server issues, so I pretty much got what I expected.  I'll be curious to hear how this works for others, going forward.

I fiddled with it this morning ( firmware 5.0.8 ) to no productive end.  I get "HTTP error 401" when I attempt "Upload nodes definitions", in the Configuration menu (I'm only speculating on what this means in this application).  I've got other node server issues, so I pretty much got what I expected.  I'll be curious to hear how this works for others, going forward.

I investigated the logs. You are right, this will not work with 5.0.8.

I just recalled I had that problem with 5.0.8.

Testing was done with 5.0.8T1 (5.0.8 with a temporary fix)

5.0.9 will be required.

Benoit.

5.0.9 will be required.

Benoit.

Thanks Benoit, and Andy/Bumbershoot for forging ahead and trying it out.

I'm trying to determine the application scope of nodeservers via the portal. Is the basic concept that nodeserver devices I can interact with today in my ISY programs will be exposed and controlled via the portal? 

Paul

5.0.9 will be required.

Benoit.

If you're referring to the disappearing node server problem,  and 5.0.8T1 providing a fix, then I'm even more anxiously awaiting 5.0.9.

Regardless, thanks for the continuous improvements/extensions/enhancements to the platform!

Thanks Benoit, and Andy/Bumbershoot for forging ahead and trying it out.

I'm trying to determine the application scope of nodeservers via the portal. Is the basic concept that nodeserver devices I can interact with today in my ISY programs will be exposed and controlled via the portal? 

Paul

Yes and no.

A node server is basically an extension to an ISY.

Properties are updated by the node server. (Example thermostat temperature)

Controls can initiated by the ISY. (Changing a thermostat setpoint)

So, this can be 2-way, or just 1-way.

In the case of this new occupancy feature it's 1-way. Occupancy is reported as a node property that you can use in a program.

Benoit

If you're referring to the disappearing node server problem,  and 5.0.8T1 providing a fix, then I'm even more anxiously awaiting 5.0.9.

Regardless, thanks for the continuous improvements/extensions/enhancements to the platform!

No. The bug here is stricly related to node servers accessing ISY through the portal connection. 

Requests being made by ISY Portal through the permanent socket are not supposed to require authentication, but in 5.0.8, it did for some specific REST APIs. 

Benoit

No. The bug here is stricly related to node servers accessing ISY through the portal connection. 

Requests being made by ISY Portal through the permanent socket are not supposed to require authentication, but in 5.0.8, it did for some specific REST APIs. 

Benoit

Thanks, I appreciate the info.

Benoit, might be worth suppressing the menu option if the ISY version is < 5.0.8T1 - that way it won't cause tickets in the meantime... This should probably be a standard thing when a portal feature requires a minimum specific ISY version to operate properly...

If you select any of the two options there is a pop up indicating 5.09 must be in place.

Good times ahead thanks UDI!

=========================

The highest calling in life is to serve ones country faithfully - Teach others what can be. Do what is right and not what is popular.

Benoit, might be worth suppressing the menu option if the ISY version is < 5.0.8T1 - that way it won't cause tickets in the meantime... This should probably be a standard thing when a portal feature requires a minimum specific ISY version to operate properly...

Hi Michael,

To avoid support calls, there is a popup if 5.0.9 is not installed.

Pilot users like yourself do not have this check so you can continue using 5.0.8T1.

Benoit.

• 2 months later...

First off, in ISY-land, all of your devices are considered "nodes". Your Insteon devices are nodes. Your thermostats are nodes. Your Z-Wave devices are nodes. (Simplistic explanation, but should do for this.)

5.x introduces node servers. Node servers are some code that runs on some external computer or computers (which could be desktop, embedded (Raspberry Pi, etc.), or even built-in to some dedicated hardware device (anything from an outlet or dimmer to a microwave oven. I'm engaging in some wishful thinking here...)

The ISY and the node server(s) talk to each other, and now that device acts just like any other ISY node. You see these external nodes in the admin console just as if they were "regular" ISY nodes.

I think one of the first node servers that was written is one that integrates Hue lighting into ISY.

ISY Portal extends that concept, so that node servers don't even have to be in your home - they could be somewhere else on the Internet. The possibilities are endless! For example, a node server might replace the functionality of the weather module. You might connect to a node server run by your electric utility, that might provide data about demand periods and might even allow your ISY to, say, switch between rate options.

If you live in a high-rise, and all your neighbors have ISYs, it might even be possible then to use a node server in the basement to have all of your lights spelling out "Merry Christmas".

First off, in ISY-land, all of your devices are considered "nodes". Your Insteon devices are nodes. Your thermostats are nodes. Your Z-Wave devices are nodes. (Simplistic explanation, but should do for this.)

5.x introduces node servers. Node servers are some code that runs on some external computer or computers (which could be desktop, embedded (Raspberry Pi, etc.), or even built-in to some dedicated hardware device (anything from an outlet or dimmer to a microwave oven. I'm engaging in some wishful thinking here...)

The ISY and the node server(s) talk to each other, and now that device acts just like any other ISY node. You see these external nodes in the admin console just as if they were "regular" ISY nodes.

I think one of the first node servers that was written is one that integrates Hue lighting into ISY.

ISY Portal extends that concept, so that node servers don't even have to be in your home - they could be somewhere else on the Internet. The possibilities are endless! For example, a node server might replace the functionality of the weather module. You might connect to a node server run by your electric utility, that might provide data about demand periods and might even allow your ISY to, say, switch between rate options.

If you live in a high-rise, and all your neighbors have ISYs, it might even be possible then to use a node server in the basement to have all of your lights spelling out "Merry Christmas".

Thanks Jtara,

Understood and now I must figure out if there is anything out there that would be useful for me to connect to.  Would my two Nest thermostats be an example ?

Thanks Jtara,

Understood and now I must figure out if there is anything out there that would be useful for me to connect to.  Would my two Nest thermostats be an example ?

Indeed, there is a Nest node server, built by forum member einstein42.  It runs on Polyglot, and allows your ISY to control your Nest and extends your Nest to control other devices on your ISY.  I use ISY programs to change the heating/cooling mode when I'm away and return, to stop heating/cooling when a door or window is left open, to start/stop ceiling fans when heating/cooling modes change, etc.  A good example use of the occupancy node in the ISY portal would be to use it to adjust your Nest when your home becomes unoccupied or occupied.

Node servers are a bit of work to set up, but they'll help to keep your investment in the ISY relevant.

post-7363-0-48938600-1493641249_thumb.png

The occupancy function appears to work correctly with 5.10. I did a 'unit test' with the occupancy node and locative on ios.

I had two programs,  each turned on a lamp based on occupancy being turned off or on. I had to drive out of the zone to get to initially set the state, and then it changed the state when I drove back in. Very tight, <100 yard radius.

I'm going to update my home/away program that was updated by IFTTT and give it a week and see how it does

Paul

Indeed, there is a Nest node server, built by forum member einstein42.  It runs on Polyglot, and allows your ISY to control your Nest and extends your Nest to control other devices on your ISY.  I use ISY programs to change the heating/cooling mode when I'm away and return, to stop heating/cooling when a door or window is left open, to start/stop ceiling fans when heating/cooling modes change, etc.  A good example use of the occupancy node in the ISY portal would be to use it to adjust your Nest when your home becomes unoccupied or occupied.

Node servers are a bit of work to set up, but they'll help to keep your investment in the ISY relevant.

The occupancy function appears to work correctly with 5.10. I did a 'unit test' with the occupancy node and locative on ios.

I had two programs,  each turned on a lamp based on occupancy being turned off or on. I had to drive out of the zone to get to initially set the state, and then it changed the state when I drove back in. Very tight, <100 yard radius.

I'm going to update my home/away program that was updated by IFTTT and give it a week and see how it does

Paul

I did the exact same thing, and it worked perfectly the first time.

It's nice that we don't have to run Polyglot to get these nodes, and it makes me wonder what other other plans UDI might have for incorporating node servers into the portal.  I can imagine Polyglot running on the portal servers... 8)

It's nice that we don't have to run Polyglot to get these nodes, and it makes me wonder what other other plans UDI might have for incorporating node servers into the portal.  I can imagine Polyglot running on the portal servers... 8)

Yes, for sure. I posted a question over in the main thread about this topic. I realize that they are in the middle of getting v5 to beta and general release, and addressing this topic is a future thing, I get that.

But its beyond proof of concept, it works, and well. If its not a portal intent, perhaps a dev kit / api for developers to look at.

Paul

Follow up thought:

The concept of putting polyglot "in the net" poses a philosophical challenge, pick one:

• I want a completely local, non server/cloud coded solution

• I don't want the hassle of setting up a server to enjoy the benefits of V5

Paul

Hello all,

First, documentation for those who have not seen it yet:

http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Main_Page#ISY_Portal_Node_Server_Instructions

Our plans for Node Server in the portal are mainly targeted to cloud based services with which ISY cannot directly/locally communicate and, specifically, for our CEC project. So, I let your imaginations run wild !!!

With kind regards,

Michel

Hello all,

First, documentation for those who have not seen it yet:

http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Main_Page#ISY_Portal_Node_Server_Instructions

Our plans for Node Server in the portal are mainly targeted to cloud based services with which ISY cannot directly/locally communicate and, specifically, for our CEC project. So, I let your imaginations run wild !!!

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi Michel

It appears that Locative is no longer in business. Is there an alternative ?

Michel,

If I understand you properly, devices such as the Ecobee thermostat or the CAO Wireless Sensors, both of which have cloud based API's, would be appropriate candidates for the development of UDI portal node servers?  If so, then this nicely extends the idea of the node server, providing a significant extension for the ISY development community, and a clear win for ISY users.

Thanks.

Archived