ISY Randomly Fails

It is hard for me to describe how the system fails but I'll give it a shot.  I'm using version 4.5.4 and the ISY will run normally and randomly just stop controlling my lights.  It is almost as if it is off for some reason but if I cycle power it comes right back up.  I'm trying to find a log that logs a failure that cause it shutoff ( i say shutoff but i'm not sure if the system is actually shutoff).  Has anyone seen this?  

It is hard for me to describe how the system fails but I'll give it a shot.  I'm using version 4.5.4 and the ISY will run normally and randomly just stop controlling my lights.  It is almost as if it is off for some reason but if I cycle power it comes right back up.  I'm trying to find a log that logs a failure that cause it shutoff ( i say shutoff but i'm not sure if the system is actually shutoff).  Has anyone seen this?  

When you have the problem which leds on the front of the ISY are on?

Did your system work normally before the problem started?

How is your PLM?  2 years?

The PLM is fairly new.  I did have a PLM fail about a year ago (only about 3 months of use.  The ISY and PLM were in a box for about 8 months) and I replaced that PLM.  

When you have the problem which leds on the front of the ISY are on?

Did your system work normally before the problem started?

Everything was working fine prior to this problem starting and it works just fine in between random "failures".  My ISY is in a closet so I didn't see if the lights were on but next time it fails I can check. I only recognize it failing because a sunrise program does not right and my lights are on when I leave the house.  

When you reboot and the system is "fixed", are you rebooting ISY only, or ISY and the PLM?

Your symptoms are most commonly a failing plm.  If rebooting the plm only fixes the problem, then there you have it.

I'm only rebooting the ISY.  I haven't rebooted the PLM.  

I'm only rebooting the ISY.  I haven't rebooted the PLM.  

Well I don't know.  ISY hardware isn't something you hear about failing.

Of course there is the ISY wall wart.  I have had lots of wall warts fail and as they fail they cause the thing they are powering to get temperamental.  You could try replacing that component and see what happens.

Well I don't know.  ISY hardware isn't something you hear about failing.

Of course there is the ISY wall wart.  I have had lots of wall warts fail and as they fail they cause the thing they are powering to get temperamental.  You could try replacing that component and see what happens.

That is a really good idea!  I have a ton of power bricks that are rated for the same voltage and current as the ISY default brick.  I'm going to change that and see if it happens again.  Now that I think about it I had a similar issue with Homerun Prime and it was the power brick. 

That is a really good idea!  I have a ton of power bricks that are rated for the same voltage and current as the ISY default brick.  I'm going to change that and see if it happens again.  Now that I think about it I had a similar issue with Homerun Prime and it was the power brick. 

You can also try running diagnostics. Do a PLM link count, and also a link table compare on one of the modules you're having an issue with.

Let me know the results.

You can also try running diagnostics. Do a PLM link count, and also a link table compare on one of the modules you're having an issue with.

Let me know the results.

There wasn't a specific device I was having issues with unless you include the ISY itself.  I couldn't access the ISY at all.  It appeared offline in mobilinc as well as through the portal.  

The PLM is fairly new.  I did have a PLM fail about a year ago (only about 3 months of use.  The ISY and PLM were in a box for about 8 months) and I replaced that PLM.  

Everything was working fine prior to this problem starting and it works just fine in between random "failures".  My ISY is in a closet so I didn't see if the lights were on but next time it fails I can check. I only recognize it failing because a sunrise program does not right and my lights are on when I leave the house.  

How warm is it inside this closet?

I bricked  a router by overheating it with poor ventilation.

It's about room temp.  The only thing in this closet is the router and ISY.  It is maybe 78F degrees tops.  That being said I use to have a file server in that closet with the ISY prior and it was 100F(max), which is why I moved it.  It was like that for about a month.  

I put a wireless thermostat in my equipment closet. When the temperature exceeds a set limit the ISY turns on an exhaust fan and sends me a notification. It's a less expensive option than replacing equipment.

I put a wireless thermostat in my equipment closet. When the temperature exceeds a set limit the ISY turns on an exhaust fan and sends me a notification. It's a less expensive option than replacing equipment.

I spent the better part of a year troubleshooting strange problems with my LAN.

I put a CAO Tag on top of the router and found every time the Tag reported 42C things acted up. Not that hot but also not in thermal contact with the chip substrate, either.

ISY is your friend.

I spent the better part of a year troubleshooting strange problems with my LAN.

I put a CAO Tag on top of the router and found every time the Tag reported 42C things acted up. Not that hot but also not in thermal contact with the chip substrate, either.

ISY is your friend.

Haha i did that to measure the temp in my closet.  I have a few of those same tags.  I didn't buy them for that but it worked so well i said what the heck. 

Haha i did that to measure the temp in my closet.  I have a few of those same tags.  I didn't buy them for that but it worked so well i said what the heck. 

Next to my ISY I love the Tags next...then my wif.... nevermind..

.....(was wifi, honest) :)

Archived