On/off Plug in module disintegrated

MustangChris04

Has anybody seen any plugin modules break apart in their hands while removing them from a wall outlet?

I had two in a single day do this to me. I partially blame the ON/OFF outlet it was plugged into. Those outlets are so tight, it's extremely difficult to remove plus from them. I pulled it straight out and the case broke completely off while the unit remained plugged in.

Smarthome denied my warranty request, had to speak with two supervisors, and threaten a charge back with AMEX to get these replaced.

post-5481-0-06903800-1510625035_thumb.png

Has anybody seen any plugin modules break apart in their hands while removing them from a wall outlet?

I had two in a single day do this to me. I partially blame the ON/OFF outlet it was plugged into. Those outlets are so tight, it's extremely difficult to remove plus from them. I pulled it straight out and the case broke completely off while the unit remained plugged in.

Smarthome denied my warranty request, had to speak with two supervisors, and threaten a charge back with AMEX to get these replaced.

Glad you got that sorted out because if you showed me that picture and I was the CSR. The only thing I would have asked is what's your address for the replacement. I haven't seen that ever happen but can affirm those freaking plugs and the On-Off module plugs are tight like tiger!

I had a fixture attached to the On-Off relay module upon removing the plug it quickly yanked away. I looked down and found one of the pins still embedded into the clamps.

Must have taken me ten minutes to pry that prong loose . . .  :x   :|

Lilyoy1, yes it doesn't make sense to plug it into a device that already has the same purpose. Majority of my outlets in the house are Insteon except the GFCI ones. I was plugging it in so that I could link it before putting it in it's final location.

I understand that. Most of my outlets are smart outlets too whether it be zwave or insteon. I didn't want to have to pick and choose locations to control things from. The insteon outlets are too tight like Teken said.

I actually prefer the Cooper zwave outlets (except for places I need the dual outlets). They aren't nearly as tight.

I understand that. Most of my outlets are smart outlets too whether it be zwave or insteon. I didn't want to have to pick and choose locations to control things from. The insteon outlets are too tight like Teken said.

I actually prefer the Cooper zwave outlets (except for places I need the dual outlets). They aren't nearly as tight.

Well besides the safety shutter ~ must have bent two prongs just trying to insert the bloody thing!!  :?

Thanks for sharing.

Looks like the plastic in the case is not that rugged.

I hope you are not the start of a new Insteon case issues.

As the same basic case is in the LampLinc, On/Off, Range Extender,Alert, Siren and I believe the latest hardware First Alert modules.

If push came to shove with Smarthome/Smartlabs.

You could have reported it to the Consumer Protection Commission of the US government.

Live AC exposed to unsuspecting users is a safety problem.

Not every user would have the where with all to turn Off the circuit before trying to remove the exposed electronics.

I use "Deoxit" on older, oxidized-looking plugs and their sockets.

Sometimes dissimilar metals can bond to each other.

A smear of silcone grease on the prongs works wonders for some receptacles that are too tight, can do it.

Nasty situation.

Silicone grease or better yet, purpose-designed Dielectric Grease is useful for anything electrical.  For an item that may not be removed for quite some time, especially light bulbs, I'll wipe a bit of dielectric grease across the entire base of the bulb, helps ensure it comes out in one piece, even years later.  

Another useful product is Ox-Gard;  required for making connections between aluminum and copper wire, it's basically an oil-based grease carrying zinc, unlike Silicone/Dieletric grease, this compound is actually conductive and should only be applied to the bare metal conductors, never to the insulated bits.

Smartlabs needs to address two issues:

1. ON/OFF outlet is way too tight. It is dangerous to have to push and pull with so much force to insert/remove plus. I too have had prongs stay stuck in it. Two live exposed prongs is not a good thing. 

2. Plastic on the plug in modules are too brittle. 

That being said, their Indian support did not handle the situation correctly and blamed the end user. If this was an issue with a Nest/Wink/Ring/ device, they would ave gladly replaced it no questions asked. I'm getting sick and tired of their support when I have the pleasure of working with other companies in the same industry that bend over backwards to make things right for the consumer. 

Smartlabs needs to address two issues:

1. ON/OFF outlet is way too tight. It is dangerous to have to push and pull with so much force to insert/remove plus. I too have had prongs stay stuck in it. Two live exposed prongs is not a good thing. 

2. Plastic on the plug in modules are too brittle. 

That being said, their Indian support did not handle the situation correctly and blamed the end user. If this was an issue with a Nest/Wink/Ring/ device, they would ave gladly replaced it no questions asked. I'm getting sick and tired of their support when I have the pleasure of working with other companies in the same industry that bend over backwards to make things right for the consumer. 

Did you offer them the photo you linked here?

They had absolutely no interest in discussing this any further with me or wanting any additional details. All they wanted to do was blame me for "physically damaging" the item, thus not being covered under warranty. 

So they didn't *Do the needful* understood!  :?

Given my past experience with both products being so tight I always grip the entire case with two hands. I know many cords have a little safety warning about grasping the head of the plugs etc.

But if you use either of these Insteon outlets you better follow that guideline! Then again it doesn't really address the outlet ripping out the blades of the plugs even if you do hold the body of the plug.  :shock:  :x

So they didn't *Do the needful* understood!  :?

Given my past experience with both products being so tight I always grip the entire case with two hands. I know many cords have a little safety warning about grasping the head of the plugs etc.

But if you use either of these Insteon outlets you better follow that guideline! Then again it doesn't really address the outlet ripping out the blades of the plugs even if you do hold the body of the plug.  :shock:  :x

100%. 

I now rock the plug back and forth to pull it out because if you just pull straight out there too much friction and I don't want to break another one. I had a USB charger leave its prongs behind, stuck in the outlet. The same charger I've been using for years on a Leviton outlet. 

The only time I'd like an outlet to have this much grab is if it was mounted on a ceiling and I was plugging in an extension cord to use as a swing for kids. 

100%. 

I now rock the plug back and forth to pull it out because if you just pull straight out there too much friction and I don't want to break another one. I had a USB charger leave its prongs behind, stuck in the outlet. The same charger I've been using for years on a Leviton outlet. 

The only time I'd like an outlet to have this much grab is if it was mounted on a ceiling and I was plugging in an extension cord to use as a swing for kids. 

LMAO . . .  :mrgreen:

All joking aside glad things got sorted out in the end. This was a good thread though to highlight the importance of watching for the blades not being left behind. I can't even imagine how I would feel if some little child just happen buy and caressed the exposed blade.  :cry:

I was a construction electrician for several decades. One of the first things that you learn is to never pull a plug straight out, always rock it a bit (unless it's really loose in which case an adjustment is needed for a firmer fit).

I was a construction electrician for several decades. One of the first things that you learn is to never pull a plug straight out, always rock it a bit (unless it's really loose in which case an adjustment is needed for a firmer fit).

Can you explain to me the reason behind this extra step? By its very nature one would assume pulling straight out would require the least effort and amount of work. This doesn't at all dismiss what you're suggesting just that I find the need to do such a task is counter to what *Should* happen. I can tell you anyone who has ever installed or used a Hospital grade outlet will find out they have that grip of death too.

Surprisingly, none of the Arrow, Cooper, Eaton, Leviton, P&S outlets have ever shown the same Hulk needed removal process! I certainly have never had a blade left behind from removal either.   

It's unusual, but does happen, that due to an especially snug fit, that a blade does get left behind. It just makes sense (to us in the trade) to loosen, then pull. And the worst is just pulling on the cord with no grip on the plug itself.

It's unusual, but does happen, that due to an especially snug fit, that a blade does get left behind. It just makes sense (to us in the trade) to loosen, then pull. And the worst is just pulling on the cord with no grip on the plug itself.

Agreed, I've had to train the ladies in the house to always grasp the head of the plug and never the cord. To be fair to Insteon or any Hospital grade outlet those X-Mas light plugs aren't made very well to begin with. Anyone who has the old school green ones can relate the plug and blade is very cheaply made!

Agreed, I've had to train the ladies in the house to always grasp the head of the plug and never the cord. To be fair to Insteon or any Hospital grade outlet those X-Mas light plugs aren't made very well to begin with. Anyone who has the old school green ones can relate the plug and blade is very cheaply made!

I've lost many vacuum cleaner cords due to the wife whipping the cable from around the corner to unplug it  :? . There's only so many times you can keep bending the prongs back into position...

I've lost many vacuum cleaner cords due to the wife whipping the cable from around the corner to unplug it  :? . There's only so many times you can keep bending the prongs back into position...

We had a old Hoover I think and it had one of those auto rewind coils to retract the cord. When I was much younger I just loved pressing that button and watching the cord whip across the room smashing into everything!

I was such a hellion and my Mom would just freak out because it always left a few dents in the drywall.

Oh the good old days . . .

• 1 year later...

Archived