I gave this a test on Fedora Linux release 28 that I have running in a VMWare prison, and I was able to run the AC if I used the '-nosecurity' flag for starting javaws.  I'm not terribly conversant in Java/IcedTea security settings, so I haven't figured out how to properly set this up yet.  Below in some command line noise that may prove helpful.

I do not have a Venstar thermostat.

Bottom line, the AC runs (looks funky, but the functionality seems to be there).

[brad@localhost Downloads]$ javaws -nosecurity start.jnlp 
This application does not specify a Codebase in its manifest. Please verify with the applet's vendor. Continuing. See: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/guides/jweb/security/no_redeploy.html for details.
This application does not specify a Codebase in its manifest. Please verify with the applet's vendor. Continuing. See: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/guides/jweb/security/no_redeploy.html for details.
Application title was not found in manifest. Check with application vendor
https://isy.universal-devices.com/994i/5.0.13A/insteon.jar
https://isy.universal-devices.com/994i/5.0.13A/ce.jar
https://isy.universal-devices.com/994i/5.0.13A/chart.jar
https://isy.universal-devices.com/994i/5.0.13A/fp.jar
https://isy.universal-devices.com/994i/5.0.13A/RXTX.jar
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: [F10.I2] editor [I_TSTAT_VENHCS] not found, ndef=[VenstarC] parm=[GV4]
	at com.universaldevices.ui.u7.U7CmdParameterWidget.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at com.universaldevices.ui.u7.U7CmdParameterWidget.createForProgramCondition(Unknown Source)
	at com.universaldevices.ui.u7.U7ConditionParametersPanel.initComponents(Unknown Source)
	at com.universaldevices.ui.u7.U7ConditionParametersPanel.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at com.universaldevices.ui.u7.U7ConditionPanel.addNodeDef(Unknown Source)
	at com.universaldevices.ui.u7.U7ConditionPanel.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at com.universaldevices.ui.d2d.UDTriggerConditionCustomTypeU7Cmd.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at com.universaldevices.ui.d2d.UDTriggerManager.initValues(Unknown Source)
	at com.universaldevices.ui.d2d.UDTriggerUI.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at com.universaldevices.ui.views.TriggerView.refreshEx(Unknown Source)
	at com.universaldevices.ui.views.TriggerView$1.doInBackground(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.SwingWorker$1.call(SwingWorker.java:295)
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
	at javax.swing.SwingWorker.run(SwingWorker.java:334)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Ignored incomplete status condition nodeDef [VenstarC] dc=[null]
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: [F10.I6] editor [HUMIDITY] not found, ndef=[wTag26C] parm=[CLIHUM]
	at com.universaldevices.ui.u7.U7CmdParameterWidget.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at com.universaldevices.ui.u7.U7CmdParameterWidget.createForProgramCondition(Unknown Source)
	at com.universaldevices.ui.u7.U7ConditionParametersPanel.initComponents(Unknown Source)
	at com.universaldevices.ui.u7.U7ConditionParametersPanel.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at com.universaldevices.ui.u7.U7ConditionPanel.addNodeDef(Unknown Source)
	at com.universaldevices.ui.u7.U7ConditionPanel.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at com.universaldevices.ui.d2d.UDTriggerConditionCustomTypeU7Cmd.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at com.universaldevices.ui.d2d.UDTriggerManager.initValues(Unknown Source)
	at com.universaldevices.ui.d2d.UDTriggerUI.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at com.universaldevices.ui.views.TriggerView.refreshEx(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.SwingWorker$1.call(SwingWorker.java:295)
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
	at javax.swing.SwingWorker.run(SwingWorker.java:334)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Ignored incomplete status condition nodeDef [wTag26C] dc=[null]
Ignored variable panel nodeDef [VenstarC] dc=[null]
Ignored variable panel nodeDef [wTag26C] dc=[null]

D2D Invalid Condition: D2D_INVALID_CMD_CONDITION, tag=status, num=T_STATUS, nest=3, parent=if, state=T_STATUS, data=

D2D Invalid Condition: D2D_INVALID_CMD_CONDITION, tag=status, num=T_STATUS, nest=3, parent=if, state=T_STATUS, data=

D2D Invalid Condition: D2D_INVALID_CMD_CONDITION, tag=control, num=T_CONTROL, nest=3, parent=if, state=T_CONTROL, data=

D2D Invalid Condition: D2D_INVALID_CMD_CONDITION, tag=control, num=T_CONTROL, nest=3, parent=if, state=T_CONTROL, data=

Michel mentioned somewhere that it still applies for the ISY Launcher itself and any updates to it, but not to the Admin Console or Dashboard apps that it loads.  So the instructions still seem appropriate when applied to the ISY Launcher installation.

1 hour ago, rccoleman said:

Michel mentioned somewhere that it still applies for the ISY Launcher itself and any updates to it, but not to the Admin Console or Dashboard apps that it loads.  So the instructions still seem appropriate when applied to the ISY Launcher installation.

When you delete the ISY Launcher it doesn't exist anymore and has to be reloaded from scratch. I thought that was the point of having a self-updating applet.

37 minutes ago, larryllix said:

When you delete the ISY Launcher it doesn't exist anymore and has to be reloaded from scratch. I thought that was the point of having a self-updating applet.

It's still a Java app that can be cached, and I'm not sure how they handle the different Admin Console versions.  Here's the thread where Michel mentions that you only need to clear the cache when the ISY Launcher is updated.

22 minutes ago, rccoleman said:

It's still a Java app that can be cached, and I'm not sure how they handle the different Admin Console versions.  Here's the thread where Michel mentions that you only need to clear the cache when the ISY Launcher is updated.

Yeah. It was the launch announcement of v5.0.13a with likely out of date instructions.  It didn't sound right but always recoverable so WTH?

6.  After the upgrade, You must clear your Java Cache

@Michel Kohanim Some late feedback here, but it would be nice if we could set a default, i.e., Admin Console or Dashboard, so that we don't have to click and select every time. I don't use the dashboard so the launcher has just added two mouseclicks to start the Admin Console for me (and I assume most others). A configuration setting to select a default and open it immediately would be great. Is the launcher in GitHub, or is it closed? 

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Goose66 said:

@Michel Kohanim Some late feedback here, but it would be nice if we could set a default, i.e., Admin Console or Dashboard, so that we don't have to click and select every time. I don't use the dashboard so the launcher has just added two mouseclicks to start the Admin Console for me (and I assume most others). A configuration setting to select a default and open it immediately would be great. Is the launcher in GitHub, or is it closed? 

I really love the new launcher, particularly because it allows me to deal with different ISYs with different software versions.  I manage several for other people, and this makes my life easier.  

I agree with Goose66 on seeing if there is a way to reduce the extra mouse click for Admin vs Dashboard.  Ideal for me would be to give the 2 options if you right click, and automaticly launch whatever was chosen last time if you left click.  But this is a minor annoyance.  Overall, the new Launcher is <Tony the Tiger> GREAT!  </Tony the Tiger>. 

Edited by blueman2
  • Like 3

Installed the launcher. However, when you click on the device and the box comes up to select Dashboard or Admin Console, is there another way of presenting this? It just seems clunkie to me. I always go for right for the Admin Console, and I'm sure there are people that prefer the Dashboard. Maybe a checkbox on the bottom near the refresh that sticks when selecte so a step is removed. we are creatures of habit.

• Like 1

I really like the new launcher too.

Just out of curiosity, would it be a possibility to have an option to save your login credentials so you don't have to type them in every time? Some days I'm on and off my laptop and the ISY many times through the day. I don't mind logging in every time but if I had the option to save my user and password for my laptop I definitely would use it.

Thanks again for all you do for us!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

So I have a new dell. Today I installed Java and downloaded the new applet, however Im not able to see anything in the app as it appears to be 1pt font. Looked on the google thing and found that there needs to be a switch in the code of the app to allow it to resize? I popped up the ap window over the browse and had this page up so you can see the micro size. Any advise?

Screenshot (2).png

5 hours ago, MarioLanning said:

So I have a new dell. Today I installed Java and downloaded the new applet, however Im not able to see anything in the app as it appears to be 1pt font. Looked on the google thing and found that there needs to be a switch in the code of the app to allow it to resize? I popped up the ap window over the browse and had this page up so you can see the micro size. Any advise?

Screenshot (2).png

Yup.

Pull down the "File" menu then  "Themes | Font Size".
Reboot Admin Console.

2 hours ago, larryllix said:

Yup.

Pull down the "File" menu then  "Themes | Font Size".
Reboot Admin Console.

Agreed, did that.. that is 20 Point. The app needs to allow for the OS to size the font in proportion to the OS setting, I found where in java it can. the tag just needs to be added to the code. More and more people are going to be upgrading to 4K and 8K screens and are going to run into this.

THanks!

5 minutes ago, MarioLanning said:

Agreed, did that.. that is 20 Point. The app needs to allow for the OS to size the font in proportion to the OS setting, I found where in java it can. the tag just needs to be added to the code. More and more people are going to be upgrading to 4K and 8K screens and are going to run into this.

THanks!

Larger fonts have been requested in the past and are in the works. Many use the low-res OS screen size  technique.

Fonts sizes should be user software independent and done completely by the OS so that every program and app does NOT need to understand font sizes based on screen resolutions. This is where Windows,  iOS and Android have all fallen down, losing hardware independence from  user apps.

Edited by larryllix
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi I just tried the new launcher on a brand new out of the box MacBook Pro MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6, JRE 8u181, ISY firmware 4.6.2.  The launcher detects my ISY and when I try to login to the admin console it takes my login info, shows the admin console for a second then crashed and everything closes.  Anyone seen this?