New ISY994iZW+IR PRO... Cant find devices...

I just unboxed my ISY994i and hooked it up to the network.  Plugged in the PLM and connected it.

I can't seem to add ANY of my Insteon devices.  I click the Link icon, then press the button on the Device.. and it just goes up to 100% and wont find it.  If I click the Lightbulb icon and add it by address,it goes to "adding" then "initializing system"  then says the device cannot be found.  Cannot determine insteon engine.

Please advise.

Welcome to the UDI Forums!

Standard network cables should work, however the PLM is using RS-232 signaling, not ET. For the PLM cable, its more a matter of how long the cable is, not the standard RJ45 ET Pinout. There have been stories of 50', but I'd start with something shorter to validate it working, and then try longer lengths

Paul

I have been able to add Various Devices by moving the PLM to various Sockets around my location.  If Im plugged in NEAR the Insteon Device, it will add it no problem.  Once I move it, I can add an insteon device in the new location, but I lose connection to the Old devices...

This sounds like insteon signalling problems. Have you been an long term inteon user, meaning you've confirmed bridging the power legs of your electrical system? The "moving around" problem is generally an indicator of the power legs not being bridged. The directions for insteon devices, like the plm, describe the "4 Tap" test for confirming the ability of Insteon devices to communicate with each other. I'd recommend that next.

Paul

31 minutes ago, paulbates said:

This sounds like insteon signalling problems. Have you been an long term inteon user, meaning you've confirmed bridging the power legs of your electrical system? The "moving around" problem is generally an indicator of the power legs not being bridged. The directions for insteon devices, like the plm, describe the "4 Tap" test for confirming the ability of Insteon devices to communicate with each other. I'd recommend that next.

Paul

I am a long time insteon user at HOME....  I bought this ISY and devices for my work location.  So I am a brand new user here.  It is an older building.. so Im unsure of the Power legs or the 4 tap test, or anything like that.  Where can I read up on that?

Would adding a SignalLinc help?  I have a SignalLinc that I bought for my house years ago and never installed because it turned out I didnt need it.

Most likely. I've had a signalinc bridge on my electrical panel for a number of years and it made a big difference. 

You'll need to know how the power is set up for work, number of phases, how many panels, etc. If its a commercial location there are a number of possibilities.

Scroll down to the section "Use Powerlinc Modem as a Phase Bridge"

Paul

While its unusual, its pretty straightforward. You need buy a double pole breaker. What's important about that is that the signalinc needs to touch each of the 2 legs. When it does this, the insteon signal passes from one leg to the other, covering the entire electrical system. The double pole break insures that the signallinc gets a hot from each leg, by touching 2 adjacent bus bars on one side. The breaker also protects you when servicing the signalinc. It does not draw much power, that's not the point.

http://cache.insteon.com/documentation/2406Hqs-en.pdf

I added a 2 gang workbox that screwed in a panel punch out. I installed the signallinc on one side and an outlet on the other. I wired the signalinc as directed and wired the outlet to one of the hots of the double pole breaker along with the singalinc. I use the outlet for the PLM so its signal is right at the panel in the center of the electrical system

Paul

djgunner, you wrote "I bought this ISY and devices for my work location"  ....

Just in case ... often commercial buildings will have 3 phase power from a Wye or Delta transformer. Is the breaker panel 2 or 3 phase feed ?  (If you dont know, ask the electrician.)

Signal bridges maybe required across all phases 

Im not certain this building has 3 phase power.   This building was built somewhere in the 30s or 40s. 

I can't seem to find my SignalLinc, and ir appears they MIGHT not make it  anymore. 

I did however find a leviton phase coupler,  and a zwave phase coupler.   Will any phase coupler work?

The Insteon signaling is junk. Open one up, you’ll see what I mean.

Compare it to a Leviton 6299. Open it up and you’ll see a well designed band pass filter. 

On the top is the Insteon unit. The Insteon circuit board is marked with an inductor but it’s only a resistor. 

B9BA120A-183D-434E-8B57-EED8872EED68.jpeg

57866804-F401-4ADC-9F75-DF8CA0F93A4D.jpeg

It is a coil. That is in a resistor style package. L1 was an 18uH when it was a X10 coupler. Looks like it was changed to a 15uH that gets it closer to the Insteon 131.65Khz. From the looks of the colored bands. I changed one in the earlier dryer style case. From the 18uH to a 15uH to get it closer to the Insteon frequency. In my case I didn't see much change.

I agree the Leviton is a better coupler. The series capacitor-coil  setup passes lots of noise and other signals the Leviton would reject.

The X10Pro XPCP also has tuned signal transformers in them. I don't know narrow their band pass is. I do know I used one in a signal monitoring circuit. ELA gave us for looking at Insteon signals on the power lines. He used an ACT CP000 X10 coupler. That also has isolated tuned signal transformers in it.

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, Toddvg said:

Would a SignalLink work if you pluged it into the wall or replaced a outlet with one?

Also how do you test the signallinc to know if it is seen by the ISY994??

No it is made to go between the two incoming power lines. Usually around 220VAC. To couple the power line signal from one line to the other line. It does not pass the AC voltage between the two lines or from one of its leads to the other lead.

It is a passive device and the ISY994i will not see it.

Archived