ISY994i cannot link any insteon device

SO my Insteon Hub died, so I decided to get an ISY994I ir pro with an insertion 2413s.  I have it connected, but when I press link and then attempt to link any of my insteon devices absolutely nothing happens.  nothing has changed other than this.  I have the ISY in the same location as the insteon hub, but still nothing.

Hi and welcome to the UDI forums!

Just to clarify, you did this to link:

• image.png.027ce9c313e84f394527d365e6cd93d6.png

• Then, you physically went to devices and manually put them in linking mode?

Here are directions on the different methods of  linking

Another method is New Insteon Device (discussed at the bottom of the above link), but that requires that you know the 6 octet Insteon ID: xx:xx:xx

A number of us migrated to the ISY from other systems. Its faster / better to actually rebuild you Insteon network and scenes with the ISY than have the ISY try to figure it out

Paul

Not sure what an "insertion" 2413s is. 

Under tools>>>diagnostics>>>PLM info/status, does it show the PLM being connected?

Is it possible cable between PLM and ISY is failed?  

Have you tried resetting the PLM?

How are you initiating linking process at the device?

Paul,

Yes that is exactly what I do.  I start the linking... the PLM "beeps" I then press the set button on say a switch, it make a tone, and the LED will blink there, but nothing ever happens.  Eventually the switch will time out.  I have tried switches, sensors, and plugs... nothing.  This is literally brand new, and I am already frustrated as this was supposed to work out of the box.

Here is the PLM status

865222755_ScreenShot2019-01-12at7_48_21PM.png.0e1913093b9167041fbb527b3c221e92.png

@Frozen001

Welcome to the forums!!

Firstly, each and every Insteon device should be factory reset. Remaining links, X10 connections and weird firmware presets may linger and cause you trouble later.

Battery devices must be put into linking mode and then the linking is all done from the ISY admin console.

AC powered devices are just done completely from the ISY admin console using the Insteon address of the device. Linking buttons are not required on AC units. Scenes (direct links between Insteon devices) are built on the admin console and it manages them quite well with good tools.

1 hour ago, Frozen001 said:

I start the linking... the PLM "beeps" I then press the set button on say a switch, it make a tone, and the LED will blink there, but nothing ever happens.  Eventually the switch will time out.  I have tried switches, sensors, and plugs... nothing.

Well....assuming you are performing all the right steps (and it sounds as if you are) the only thing coming to mind right now (short of failed device) is to move the PLM to a different outlet and circuit.  Use a long extension cord if necessary.  I know it is the same location as your hub, but I assume you have at least one extra power supply now (for the ISY) and it is possible that the PLM is not as strong a communicator as your hub was.  

Depending on your home setup sometimes it can’t find devices in your home.  Once you allow it to find it, then it seems to retain connectivity.  What was recommended to me (and worked), was to craft a cable to allow you to plug each switch in right beside the PLM, and then connect them.  After that you can install anywhere and it keeps the connection.

So I have tried multiple locations, (4) and not luck.  I have even tried placing a water sensor right next to every think and nothing.  All I get ar blinking leds on the PLM and what ever device I am trying to link.  I have to be doing something wrong or my new 2413 has a dead radio...  

2 hours ago, Frozen001 said:

I am about to just return it and try a different solution.   I want easy and this is not.

Very frustrating, I bet.  Unfortunately, I have not experienced what you are, and can only guess at possible solutions. Given what you have gone through, I would certainly start to suspect a faulty PLM or something like that.  

Depending upon your desire to persist, you could certainly try UDI technical support.  They are quite good and responsive and might see something that we missed.

To summarize, it sounds as if you have:

- confirmed PLM communicating and online with ISY.

- Choosing the "start linking" button from the admin panel, results in a little "linking in progress" pop-up window

- pressed-and-held set button for a given device until it started flashing (at which point the linking process should have initiated and finished, but did not).

- tried different circuits for the PLM...no change

- reset the PLM...no change

Running out of ideas here.  This should definitely not be as hard as you are experiencing.

Have you tried linking directly to a powerline device?  Choose Link Management->New Insteon Device (or at least that's where you find it in V5) then type in the device's address (should be 3 hexedecimal numbers) and click OK.

The only other thing I can think to ask is whether you're using the cable that came with the PLM to connect to the ISY?  The PLM uses the serial protocol to communicate so the maximum length allowed for the cord between it and the ISY is much shorter than for normal networking cords.  I'm guessing this isn't the problem because your screenshot shows the PLM connected but sometimes you throw a hail mary anyway.  ?

I'm curious about your PLM Status screenshot.  It shows three dots in the upper left, and the first one is red.  Could that be an indicator of an error?  I'm on V5 and my PLM Status dialog box doesn't show any dots so not sure if it means anything or not.

3 hours ago, Frozen001 said:

I have factory reset everything...   I am about to just return it and try a different solution.   I want easy and this is not.

Yeah until this starts to work for you it can stress you out big time.

Have you tried to swap or replace the Cat5/6 cables to the PLM? This sounds like a bad connection to the PLM.
Try "Show PLM links Table". The reading of the internal PLM link table may give a clue here.

8 hours ago, Frozen001 said:

So I have tried multiple locations, (4) and not luck.  I have even tried placing a water sensor right next to every think and nothing.  All I get ar blinking leds on the PLM and what ever device I am trying to link.  I have to be doing something wrong or my new 2413 has a dead radio...  

If the radio was dead the PLM wouldn't likely blink with signals sent to it. try some cable swaps etc... and start with an AC device like a plug-in or switchlinc.
AC devices do not need to be in linking mode whereas battery devices do and can get more finnicky.

Make sure you plug in your PLM for a few seconds before powering up the ISY or it will not set itself up to match your PLM.

Another thing you can try is to go to Tools->Diagnostics->Event Viewer.  Set the Level to 3.  Then try your linking.  You should see [LNK-BGN] or [INST-TX-I1] records if the ISY is trying to link to devices.  I think that should confirm that it is actually talking to the PLM.

5 hours ago, larryllix said:

Yeah until this starts to work for you it can stress you out big time.

Have you tried to swap or replace the Cat5/6 cables to the PLM? This sounds like a bad connection to the PLM.
Try "Show PLM links Table". The reading of the internal PLM link table may give a clue here.

That table shows nothing at all.  I will try a cane swap but it is the one that cane with it.   

3 hours ago, Frozen001 said:

That table shows nothing at all.  I will try a cane swap but it is the one that cane with it.   

I think larryllix wanted you to try that to see if you got an error which would indicate that the ISY could not communicate with the PLM.  I would think no error and a blank table would be normal since you haven't actually been able to link to any devices yet.  So I'm doubtful that a cable change will help.

It really seems like the PLM is not communicating on the powerline.  You say that the ISY is in the same location as the insteon hub but where is the PLM plugged in? Is the PLM plugged into a surge suppressor or battery backup?  Those are known to suck up insteon/X10 signals and not let them pass.

3 hours ago, kclenden said:

I think larryllix wanted you to try that to see if you got an error which would indicate that the ISY could not communicate with the PLM.  I would think no error and a blank table would be normal since you haven't actually been able to link to any devices yet.  So I'm doubtful that a cable change will help.

It really seems like the PLM is not communicating on the powerline.  You say that the ISY is in the same location as the insteon hub but where is the PLM plugged in? Is the PLM plugged into a surge suppressor or battery backup?  Those are known to suck up insteon/X10 signals and not let them pass.

The ISY is on a power strip that all my other network items are plugged into but the PLM is direct to a wall plug just like the Hub was.   I basically removed the Hub and put these two products in it place.   I will try the cable swap after work.   I wonder if maybe I should just see if SmartHome will swap out the PLM...

17 minutes ago, Frozen001 said:

The ISY is on a power strip that all my other network items are plugged into but the PLM is direct to a wall plug just like the Hub was.   I basically removed the Hub and put these two products in it place.   I will try the cable swap after work.   I wonder if maybe I should just see if SmartHome will swap out the PLM...

That's always an option if SH will do it, and you bought it there. It could save you a lot of grief and just may be the problem. SH is not known for Quality Control. :(

Is the power strip one that includes surge suppressor?  (These can interfere with insteon communications.)  I guess, since you have moved PLM to different outlets and circuits already, this tends to reduce the likelihood that this is the source of your problems.

OK so I swapped cables and nothing.

So I pulled the wall plate off of one of my switches and got the address and tried to link it.  Here is the event log:

Mon 01/14/2019 03:16:00 PM : Start Insteon Device Linking Mode
Mon 01/14/2019 03:16:00 PM : [LNK-BGN     ] 02 64 01 00 06 
Mon 01/14/2019 03:22:49 PM : Stop Insteon Device Linking Mode, Final processing to follow
Mon 01/14/2019 03:22:50 PM : [LNK-END     ] 02 65 06 : : Unexpected, ignored (65)
Mon 01/14/2019 03:22:50 PM : [All         ] Writing 0 bytes to devices
Mon 01/14/2019 03:22:50 PM : [All         ] Writing 0 bytes to devices

Mon 01/14/2019 03:24:26 PM : [43 79 3A    ] Added to list of devices to link to ISY
Mon 01/14/2019 03:24:26 PM : [INST-TX-I1  ] 02 62 43 79 3A 0F 0D 00
Mon 01/14/2019 03:24:26 PM : [INST-ACK    ] 02 62 43.79.3A 0F 0D 00 06                 (00)
Mon 01/14/2019 03:24:35 PM : [INST-TX-I1  ] 02 62 43 79 3A 0F 0D 00
Mon 01/14/2019 03:24:35 PM : [INST-ACK    ] 02 62 43.79.3A 0F 0D 00 06                 (00)
Mon 01/14/2019 03:24:44 PM : [INST-TX-I1  ] 02 62 43 79 3A 0F 0D 00
Mon 01/14/2019 03:24:44 PM : [INST-ACK    ] 02 62 43.79.3A 0F 0D 00 06                 (00)
Mon 01/14/2019 03:24:45 PM : [        Time] 15:24:46 0(0)
Mon 01/14/2019 03:24:48 PM : [43 79 3A 0  ] Failed to add device, reason 3
Mon 01/14/2019 03:24:48 PM : [All         ] Writing 0 bytes to devices

First section is from the attempt to link the same switch using "Start Linking"  I stopped when the switch timed out.  

The second is using the address.  Using the address it ends with "Cannot Determine Insteon Engine"

Archived