How to set up Google Home

sanders2222

Things change faster than I can keep up!  I have an ISY944iR monitoring & controlling various Insteon devices.

How do I get Google Home controlling my ISY and visa versa? (In plain English please)

Do I need an Add-on?  If I do, which one?

And can someone tell me what a node server is?  (tried a search for these answers but no luck)

Sanders2222, you seem to be where I was not too long ago. All this sounds very complicated and sometimes it is. I have received a lot of help from others in this forum and you will get where you want to be.

I don't have Insteon and only use Zwave, but it should not make any difference.

Let me try start step by step and others in this forum (way more qualified than I am) will add better info.

Google Home : It works great in my home, I can switch on / off all my switches, fans, curtains etc.by telling GH OK Google turn on the ceiling at 75 percent (just an example).

You must have ISY Portal. In your Administrative Console, Help, Purchase Modules.

Once you have created your ISY Portal username and password, you click on Select Tool, Connectivity, Google Home. From there you add the devices of your choice, give each one or more Spokens (name to be used in Google Home).

In the Google Home App on your phone you go to Connected Home (or something similar) and add Universal Devices, where you use same username and password that you created for the ISY Portal.

When that connection works, you must synch the ISY Portal with your Google Home App. The easiest way is to tell GH OK Google synch my devices. GH will respond with OK synching Universal Devices.

Nodeservers : These basically allow you to control a number of third party devices/systems (Sonos, thermostats, Audio/Video etc) in your ISY. Once you have them, some of these are fantastic. I make really good use of some Nodeservers. I personally use Nodeservers to connect my Nest thermostats, to schedule radio stations to stream on my Chromecasts and Google Home devices, to control my TV at select times with select channels, volume etc etc. I just added a Nodeserver to connect my Google Calendars so that I can (hopefully) create programs to switch ON/OFF lights etc depending on when a day is a holiday or not.

The setup is complicated for Newbies like you and I, but as I said I received a lot of help from people in this forum.

There are several ways to add Nodeservers, and each alternative may have different or same Nodeservers :

Polyglot : The best way is to connect a Raspberry Pi to your network. There are a number of detailed posts in this forum giving you  step-by-step instructions. There are also very useful YouTube videos. As I said it is not easy but if I can do it, almost anyone else can do. Take time to read the instructions (don't get scared) and watch the YouTube videos.

Buy yourself a Raspberry Pi on Amazon  and follow the instructions that you can find in this forum. anytime you get stuck, ask your question here and people will help you. I am not as smart as many others here, and these others will help you better than what I can do for you.

Once the Raspberry Pi has been set up, you add Polyglot to it, also following instructions in this forum.

Nodelink : Very similar setup as Polyglot, just a different file to add to your Raspberry Pi.

Polyglot Cloud :  This is a cloud alternative with a smaller number of Nodeservers, but it has the advantage that you do not need a Raspberry Pi.

Again, it looked way too complicated to me and resisted trying it out until someone here (was it Beninsteon or Bumbershoot ?) convinced me to jump in the deep side of the pool.  Now I love it all..

5 hours ago, asbril said:

Nodeservers : These basically allow you to control a number of third party devices/systems  . . .  I just added a Nodeserver to connect my Google Calendars so that I can (hopefully) create programs to switch ON/OFF lights etc depending on when a day is a holiday or not.

First of all, thanks for your straight up explanation on how to get Google Home set up.  Although I was momentarily stuck on setting up the ISP Portal account, a Google search got me through that. Your step by step tutorial worked for me!

From your information, I think nodeservers are also something I need to learn to apply. I want to connect my DSC security system which I understand needs a raspberry pi & Polyglot nodeserver (?).

As for Holiday calendar, I've used the ISY 'Calendar' set of programs and variables that has worked for years.  I have a variable $iHoliday that is set to 1 on Holidays (otherwise value is 0).  Sometimes the value is 1 on the day before and after.HolidayVariaable.thumb.PNG.16731f2b977527163e94343b8c0c275f.PNGve a variable $iHoliday = 1 on Holidays, otherwise the value is 0.  Sometimes I include the day before (Christmas & New Year's eve) and day after (Thanksgiving).

26 minutes ago, sanders2222 said:

First of all, thanks for your straight up explanation on how to get Google Home set up.  Although I was momentarily stuck on setting up the ISP Portal account, a Google search got me through that. Your step by step tutorial worked for me!

From your information, I think nodeservers are also something I need to learn to apply. I want to connect my DSC security system which I understand needs a raspberry pi & Polyglot nodeserver (?).

As for Holiday calendar, I've used the ISY 'Calendar' set of programs and variables that has worked for years.  I have a variable $iHoliday that is set to 1 on Holidays (otherwise value is 0).  Sometimes the value is 1 on the day before and after.HolidayVariaable.thumb.PNG.16731f2b977527163e94343b8c0c275f.PNGve a variable $iHoliday = 1 on Holidays, otherwise the value is 0.  Sometimes I include the day before (Christmas & New Year's eve) and day after (Thanksgiving).

You have one on me :-)  ........   I am still struggling with variables. I still don't get the concept and how to use them. When I have time I am going through the wiki and the many posts on the topic. I also did not know about the ISY 'Calendar'. Thanks for the tip.

On 2/15/2019 at 2:04 PM, sanders2222 said:

Got that.  I assume I also need an Envisalink EVL-4 IP Interface Module to connect the alarm to the Raspberry Pi. Correct?

Yes. To connect your DSC or Honeywell alarm system to an ethernet network (this is the only way ISY can interface with it at present) you'll the Envisalink card. Note this card is only ethernet enabled and typically installed in the alarm box, so you'll also need a hard wired ethernet connection to your network near your alarm panel (WiFi won't work).

Both NodeLink and Polyglot have nodeservers for DSC alarm panels using the EVL 3/4 so you'll also need one of these pieces of software running on a RPi.

Ben

P.S. I would advise against purchasing the version of the module you noted above in your link. That is the EVL-4CG. The CG (Connect2Go) portion indicates it's a particular version of the EVL4 board with fewer support options available. Make sure the model you get is the EVL-4EZR

https://www.amazon.com/Envisalink-EVL-4EZR-Security-Interface-Honeywell/dp/B016WQTJ4S/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=evl-4&qid=1550352650&s=gateway&sr=8-1

51 minutes ago, beninsteon said:

P.S. I would advise against purchasing the version of the module you noted above in your link. That is the EVL-4CG. The CG (Connect2Go) portion indicates it's a particular version of the EVL4 board with fewer support options available. Make sure the model you get is the EVL-4EZR

https://www.amazon.com/Envisalink-EVL-4EZR-Security-Interface-Honeywell/dp/B016WQTJ4S/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=evl-4&qid=1550352650&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Thanks Ben for that clarification & suggestion on the EnvisaLink card and RPi.  I see the newer RPi can connect WiFi so that may be an option to connect to my ISY. 

My DSC is centrally located in our home which was built in the late 90's.  I assume it only has daisy-chain "phone" wiring from room to room  (common practice in those days). No home runs.  While running an ethernet cable up my outside wall, across the attic to the alarm box is possible, I'm looking for an "Easy Button"  .

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I'm late to this thread but wanted to ask a few questions before I purchase the portal module.

If I buy Google home and the ISY Portal can I then walk in to the house and voice control all my Insteon stuff?

(after programming it to recognize the specific commands of course)

Easy as that?

I remember wanting to get my stuff voice activated and being turned off by a list of steps that were so convoluted I stopped at step 5 of 100

(An exaggeration but you get the point)

If I can get this voice activated my wife would then not mash SWL and KPL buttons wondering why it isn't on as its fading up.

(I swear if someone tries to bypass my 2 second ramp rate by double tapping something again I'll program it to flash all the lights on and off for ten minutes and then leave them in the dark until I get home, mmuuuhhahahahaha)

(Is that evil?)

Drew

Simple answer...Yes! ...and yes that is evil but I hear ya'!

I have  both but prefer Alexa over GH. Both are easy to set up with the ISY Portal.

A vocal to Alexa bridge software in the ISY Portal allows multiple different ways of saying things and operates ISY programs, variables, devices, scenes or  Network Resources.

16 minutes ago, larryllix said:

I have  both but prefer Alexa over GH. Both are easy to set up with the ISY Portal.

A vocal to Alexa bridge software in the ISY Portal allows multiple different ways of saying things and operates ISY programs, variables, devices, scenes or  Network Resources.

Hi Larry,

Thank you for the fast reply.

I have a few questions

You prefer Alexa over Google Home. Do they basically function the same and this is just preference or are there different benefits to each?

If I buy the ISY portal can I use either or even both at the same time? (I know SONOS one has Alexa and is great for music but Google home is cheaper, just deciding what I want to get)

Could I switch or add later on or is the ISY Portal specific?

(Can you tell I'm crazy excited about voice activated lights?)

Drew

7 minutes ago, andrew77 said:

Hi Larry,

Thank you for the fast reply.

I have a few questions

You prefer Alexa over Google Home. Do they basically function the same and this is just preference or are there different benefits to each?

If I buy the ISY portal can I use either or even both at the same time? (I know SONOS one has Alexa and is great for music but Google home is cheaper, just deciding what I want to get)

Could I switch or add later on or is the ISY Portal specific?

(Can you tell I'm crazy excited about voice activated lights?)

Drew

I use both Alexa and GH at the same time. Personally I use GH more than Alexa but that is because I started first with GH and am more comfortable with it. As for music, just so that you know, I dumped my Sonos (sold at great price on EBay) and switched to Chromecast. With the AVRemote Nodeserver I have fantastic control of my 3 Chromecasts.

GH seems more adapted and better sound than Alexa. My Onkyo receiever just got absorbed and became part of the GH community. The synchronisation between my Onkyo receiver and my other 4 GH units is amazing. I find GH much more friendly and candid. It accesses information online better and fills in some blanks that it doesn't understand. (assumes).
Eg. Hey Google. Turn off bedroom lights....OK turning off 9 lights in bedroom. I only have two but one does eight different colours. It assumes I mean everything in the bedroom because a colour wasn't used in the command. This is despite having a distinct and defined command using just plain "bedroom lights"

Alexa works better for me for home automation control. It will ask you when it doesn't understand a word and operates devices more accurately.  Alexa does not seem as user friendly though but they both grow (off each other) every day.  I have about 7 units. A few are still in the boxes yet. :)

Yes, GH and Alexa can both exist in the same house, off the same ISY Portal.

Having both, Alexa typically gets used for HA and GH gets used for movie actor names and ages etc... Occasionally either get used for weather. GH may be better at some geography stuff. This 'better' balance changes every month.

Like asbril I prefer Google home over Alexa. I have a few Google Home Hubs and really like them.  Similar devices from amazon seem to be more expensive.  Google Home is also integrated into my Sony TV and I have Android auto in my Car.  Nice to ask the car to turn up the heat at the cottage on the way there.

Paul

Hi guys,

please be patient just a few questions before I start buying stuff. 

Can I run/control separate devices?

Can I run scenes and programs?

is there a limit to the number of voice commands I can program?

Is there a way to talk into my phone to run commands with either Alexa or google home?

Drew 

1 minute ago, andrew77 said:

Hi guys,

please be patient just a few questions before I start buying stuff. 

Can I run/control separate devices?

Can I run scenes and programs?

is there a limit to the number of voice commands I can program?

Is there a way to talk into my phone to run commands with either Alexa or google home?

Drew 

18 minutes ago, andrew77 said:

Point taken

Sold!

One last question.

The ISY Portal. 

I live rurally and have the worst internet speed possible.

Does the ISY Portal need internet access or does it run on my local network in the house?

ISY Portal runs on UDI's servers.

Benoit manages the software and notifies the crowd if maintenance is going to be performed. His support has been exemplary.

Point taken
Sold!
One last question.
The ISY Portal. 
I live rurally and have the worst internet speed possible.
Does the ISY Portal need internet access or does it run on my local network in the house?

I use GH at my lake house which has crappy HughesNet satellite internet and it works ok for things that access thru the portal.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I use GH at my lake house which has crappy HughesNet satellite internet and it works ok for things that access thru the portal.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Thank you Jimbo.

I used to have HughesNet and know how awful it is. I switched to Xplornet (better but not without its shortcomings)

Drew

Isy Portal purchased and registered.

Awaiting delivery of the Echo 3 ( I went with it because I have Amazon Music for free with Prime)

I don't see an obvious difference in my admin console.

When I follow the steps above (asbril's post) 

I don't see Connectivity under the Tools menu. This may be because he uses ZWave and or Google Home?

I don't readily find a forum for the Echo Dot 3 at first glance.

Drew

Archived