PLM's on sale for $29.99 USD

Bumbershoot

9 minutes ago, apostolakisl said:

So is it UD needing the money up front for production or is it SH failing to pay in a timely fashion causing UD to cut their credit?

Possibly only customs orders for ISY994 hardware to be printed, now? I doubt this will be discussed with the crowd here and there were hints.

I am not privy to any inside information. It does look like they are having more sales than the old owners.

Either sales volume is down, clearing out older stock to make room for the promised but not advertised new stuff or worse new stuff is not Insteon.

The press release on the Insteon web site. Indicates they where interested in their IoT experiences. Maybe that is the way they are trying to go.

Since the acquisition two years ago, what has happened at Smart Labs? A few hints that new products were in development, but AFAIK they have released nothing new for Insteon users. Does anyone here have insight as to the status/future of the Insteon product line?

7 minutes ago, Mustang65 said:

They still have the 5 reasons for using Insteon on their website

https://www.insteon.com/support-knowledgebase/5-reasons-wifi-isnt-for-the-smarthome

Thanks -- I get their email newsletter. My question concerned the status of the company that designs Insteon devices. Right now I have a mix of Insteon and z-wave in my setups. For me z-wave latency and connectivity have been disappointing and Insteon clearly performs better. But I'm hesitant to buy any new Insteon devices if the whole thing is going to implode soon.

25 minutes ago, JimMc said:

Thanks -- I get their email newsletter. My question concerned the status of the company that designs Insteon devices. Right now I have a mix of Insteon and z-wave in my setups. For me z-wave latency and connectivity have been disappointing and Insteon clearly performs better. But I'm hesitant to buy any new Insteon devices if the whole thing is going to implode soon.

I wouldn't worry about the devices overall. It's not like they'll stop working just because they shut down. 

If that should happen, you still have the ISY which would allow you to integrate something else with it as a replacement. Enjoy the system for what it is today and deal with the rest years down the line

5 hours ago, Mustang65 said:

Maybe its time for Universal-Devices to bring out their own modules product line to make us all HAPPY, and eliminate the PLM. Maybe someone to reverse-engineer the PLM to create an alternative device.

UDI made their own PLM years ago. With a promise to get the programmed main and RF  controller chips from SmartLabs. As they are very protective of their Patents. I understand a few  engineering prototypes where made. Waiting for the promised programed controller chips to start testing. Well someone at SmartLabs changed their tune and chips where never made  available to UDI.

Anyone trying to reverse engineer the PLM would not have the needed Main and RF controller firmware source file. If they ever did manage to extract it from a PLM chips.  I suspect SmartLabs legal team would be all over it.

If SmartHome licenced development to other people and even refused licencing for any existing product they already make (the top quality stuff like plug-in modules and switchlincs) their sales would skyrocket.

The only real complaints I hear about Insteon is:
 - they are all single sourced
 - their battery operated devices are very poor quality.

Let somebody else do it, solve both perception problems, and maybe make some royalties along the way, to pay for some marketing expertise?

Just now, apostolakisl said:

I'm not worried.  If Smart Labs/Home ever went belly up, then the patents and proprietary code would all go up to the highest bidder and someone else would take over.  Maybe Universal Devices?

Good thought. Maybe UDI could lead the pack with a crowd supported purchase?

38 minutes ago, Brian H said:

Thank you for the link Techman.

Interesting reading. For me it also cleared up some issues and create some new questions.

I heard awhile back they were going to focus on the Insteon Hub and the smartphone apps, and that they were going to update some of their devices possibly to touch screens instead of buttons on the KPLs.  But I wouldn't suggest holding your breath while waiting for the innovation.

Also keep in mind that Insteon is manufactured in China, so who knows what bearing the tariffs are having on the Company.

3 hours ago, Brian H said:

Anyone trying to reverse engineer the PLM would not have the needed Main and RF controller firmware source file. If they ever did manage to extract it from a PLM chips.  I suspect SmartLabs legal team would be all over it.

The thing about reverse engineering is that if you know what the input into the PLM is (ISY output) and the output from the PLM for each ISY input, with no SmartHome's engineering information for how they take the PLM input and get it to the PLM output format/frequencies/zero cross over, you are designing a new and more than likely improved version of the PLM, which I believe falls under something like a patent change category. Just need to prove you are improving on the existing patented product.

3 hours ago, Techman said:

Also keep in mind that Insteon is manufactured in China, so who knows what bearing the tariffs are having on the Company.

Almost all "smart" devices are manufactured in China.....  There's a very very small handful of devices that are not.

20 hours ago, Techman said:

Here's an interesting article, dated June 2019, on Smarthome and Insteon. It answers a few questions and creates some new ones.

https://www.thedigitalmediazone.com/2019/06/18/insteon-raises-the-curtain-for-the-next-act/

Thanks for that link. Sounds to me like they've cleaned up the mess and repackaged the company for sale to a bigger fish. What else would explain the two years of radio silence?

Archived