Need a new thermostat, recommendations?

ulrick65

I have found, so far, that the temp and humidity are quite accurate on the insteon tstats.  I do quarterly calibrate them to the ambient temp and humidty of each room, with the use of 5 extech temp humidity loggers, and they re usually within a half to a  degree of the last cal .  I bought a few of theinsteons new but most were reconditioned or used on ebay, amazon and SH.  There are motion sensors in most rooms so I can use that for occupancy to a degree.  Cool is good though, if thats what floats your boat!!!   Mine is cost.

1 hour ago, ulrick65 said:

I am in the U.S. but I work for Canadian company if that helps!  ?  If he has one, I think I have some Canadian cash from my last trip north I could send him!  ;)

I have another T7900 but it I defective in two ways. The outdoor, wired, sensor input is defective, as well as the touch screen needs to be pushed and held firmly for a full second, every touch. Great temperature probe or timer though. LOL

1 hour ago, Bumbershoot said:

Maybe you'll hear from him. Payment is an issue across the border (if you're in the US).  It appears that PayPal might be a bit of a hassle for the recipient. It was easy for me, though. ?

I think Paypal was in a bit of a transition. A direct deposit to bank accounts has shown up with proper verification methods. Also an option to spend the cash balance right from Paypal has appeared very obscurely now.

At that time the only option was to give PayPal my bank card password for full access to all my accounts and credit card accounts. They promised not to keep my password though.  ☹️ ?

7 minutes ago, larryllix said:

I have another T7900 but it I defective in two ways. The outdoor, wired, sensor input is defective, as well as the touch screen needs to be pushed and held firmly for a full second, every touch. Great temperature probe or timer though. LOL

Thanks Larry...I think I will pass on that one.  The outside wired probe doesn't concern me to much, but the touch screen issues would be a downfall.

• 3 months later...

I will be in the market in the near future for a TSTAT. Wondering if there is anything new in 2020??

I could really go either way in terms of protocol from Z-Wave, ZigBee, WiFi. One thing I would like to know is how some of TSTATS handle low & high safety limits?

A colleague had a TSTAT and for the life of me can’t recall the brand. Regardless, I found it odd the safety low & high were restricted to some odd values.

Essentially I want to be able to set my own value and not be locked in by some imbeciles ideas of low vs high. A local API is high on the list along with priority of local first vs cloud first!

Lastly, has anyone with a WiFi STAT ever blocked the unit to see how they react?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, Teken said:

I will be in the market in the near future for a TSTAT. Wondering if there is anything new in 2020?? emoji848.png

I could really go either way in terms of protocol from Z-Wave, ZigBee, WiFi. One thing I would like to know is how some of TSTATS handle low & high safety limits?

A colleague had a TSTAT and for the life of me can’t recall the brand. Regardless, I found it odd the safety low & high were restricted to some odd values.

Essentially I want to be able to set my own value and not be locked in by some imbeciles ideas of low vs high. A local API is high on the list along with priority of local first vs cloud first!

Lastly, has anyone with a WiFi STAT ever blocked the unit to see how they react? emoji848.png

Ecobee uses a higher accuracy internally at 0.1C. Users can calibrate all aspects to 0.3C.  WiFi and cloud access only, unfortunately. A bunch of silly cloud statistics against neighbours are available (of course it is cheaper to turn your heat down to 'Off')  but the run time graphing of run/fan cycles is useful. Downloadable sensor input and averages etc. are available in spreadsheet format (to 0.1C) Fan cycler is very smart with short time cycling, and based on last run instead of just every hour.

Setpoints have a local only setting for high and low allowances from any angle of control. A password lockout is also available for use to lockout local and remote setpoint access.

I have not seen any firmware updates that control my stat yet. They are tooted to be fully disableable though.

I don't know what you mean by "blocked". The stat has no dependence on cloud, only for monitoring and remote control. Programmable climates (I have about 8 now) with dual schedules for heating and cooling. Just switch the mode without reconfiguring times or temps. Sensor calibration wanders the least of any stat I have tried. (Venstar, Insteon, Honeywell)

Sensing and setpoints on 0.5C clicks can net you about 1-1.5C off of your setpoint. Ecobee is 0.1C sensing. Sensor is very isolated from electronics and any wall draughts.

Hello,

I have a question please give me advice. I plan to use the honeywell thermostat TH5320R to connect to my ISY via the polyglot node server running on the raspberry, how do I connect the isy to the honeywell device? Should use thermostat wifi or z-ware, if using z-ware, the control distance is how much, is limited in how far? Whoever has used the honeywell thermostat, please give me a suggestion.

thanks!

If you're using the nodeserver then you would use the WiFi version. If using zwave then you wouldn't need the nodeserver. 

Zwave distance varies. My general rule is a repeater every 30 feet open air. 10 feet for every wall between it and the isy. I generally will use at least one repeater that supports beaming rather than the isy directly talking to a device. 

9 hours ago, larryllix said:

Ecobee uses a higher accuracy internally at 0.1C. Users can calibrate all aspects to 0.3C.  WiFi and cloud access only, unfortunately. A bunch of silly cloud statistics against neighbours are available (of course it is cheaper to turn your heat down to 'Off')  but the run time graphing of run/fan cycles is useful. Downloadable sensor input and averages etc. are available in spreadsheet format (to 0.1C) Fan cycler is very smart with short time cycling, and based on last run instead of just every hour.

Setpoints have a local only setting for high and low allowances from any angle of control. A password lockout is also available for use to lockout local and remote setpoint access.

I have not seen any firmware updates that control my stat yet. They are tooted to be fully disableable though.

I don't know what you mean by "blocked". The stat has no dependence on cloud, only for monitoring and remote control. Programmable climates (I have about 8 now) with dual schedules for heating and cooling. Just switch the mode without reconfiguring times or temps. Sensor calibration wanders the least of any stat I have tried. (Venstar, Insteon, Honeywell)

Sensing and setpoints on 0.5C clicks can net you about 1-1.5C off of your setpoint. Ecobee is 0.1C sensing. Sensor is very isolated from electronics and any wall draughts.

In that stat how low or high can you set the lowest heating point to? Meaning for a freezing condition can you set it 5~XX or is defined like I saw on whatever TSTAT my friend had which appeared to be say (5-16'C). As I would like to set it to say 17-18'C for the cold and the high (28-XX). By blocked I wanted to know by first hand knowledge do any of these TSTAT's cry by indicating either through the App or on the screen the Internet isn't available.

Again, I can't recall the other STAT I saw but it had this annoying pop up message indicating it couldn't this or that because there wasn't connectivity to the mother ship. 

36 minutes ago, Teken said:

In that stat how low or high can you set the lowest heating point to? Meaning for a freezing condition can you set it 5~XX or is defined like I saw on whatever TSTAT my friend had which appeared to be say (5-16'C). As I would like to set it to say 17-18'C for the cold and the high (28-XX). By blocked I wanted to know by first hand knowledge do any of these TSTAT's cry by indicating either through the App or on the screen the Internet isn't available.

Again, I can't recall the other STAT I saw but it had this annoying pop up message indicating it couldn't this or that because there wasn't connectivity to the mother ship. 

I am not sure how low the stat can go because I have the range restricted to a range of  about 15c (heat vacation temp) to 26c (cooling vacation temp). These can only be set on the stat face. In addition all setpoints can be passworded.

Ecobee3 and 4 stats have absolutely no dependencies on the cloud except for firmware updates, if enabled.

The ecobee4 has Alexa built in. Slightly crippled and doesn't hear well mounted against a wall. No 5GHz, and no routines to speak for ISY.  I also don't vocal command my thermostats. I got automatic ones that can look after themselves properly and only touch them a few times per year with season changes.

I don't use automatic changeover, auto-occupancy, or auto Follow me features as my home is too slow to respond and I am too sensitive to a temperature more than 0.5C off of setpoint. My basement ecobee3 sets the slab heat on and off about 8-12 hours ahead of needing the temperature setting sleep/day. ISY helps adjust those advanced climate type times by outside temperature based algorithms.

41 minutes ago, larryllix said:

I am not sure how low the stat can go because I have the range restricted to a range of  about 15c (heat vacation temp) to 26c (cooling vacation temp). These can only be set on the stat face. In addition all setpoints can be passworded.

Ecobee3 and 4 stats have absolutely no dependencies on the cloud except for firmware updates, if enabled.

The ecobee4 has Alexa built in. Slightly crippled and doesn't hear well mounted against a wall. No 5GHz, and no routines to speak for ISY.  I also don't vocal command my thermostats. I got automatic ones that can look after themselves properly and only touch them a few times per year with season changes.

I don't use automatic changeover, auto-occupancy, or auto Follow me features as my home is too slow to respond and I am too sensitive to a temperature more than 0.5C off of setpoint. My basement ecobee3 sets the slab heat on and off about 8-12 hours ahead of needing the temperature setting sleep/day. ISY helps adjust those advanced climate type times by outside temperature based algorithms.

Time permitting can you check to see if the range for either hot / cold is defined vs the user can enter whatever value they wish and lock it in. For me that is critical as I don't want the home to ever be say 5'C cold for heating / 26'C for cooling etc. 

5 hours ago, HAO said:

Hello,

I have a question please give me advice. I plan to use the honeywell thermostat TH5320R to connect to my ISY via the polyglot node server running on the raspberry, how do I connect the isy to the honeywell device? Should use thermostat wifi or z-ware, if using z-ware, the control distance is how much, is limited in how far? Whoever has used the honeywell thermostat, please give me a suggestion.

thanks!

@HAO The only nodeserver available for Honeywell Thermostats is for Honeywell Home. I don't believe the TH5320R does Honeywell Home so your only choice would be Z-Wave if you want to integrate into the ISY. The caveat being I'm not sure the TH5320R actually works with Z-Wave. It looks like it can hook into RedLINK but that won't help you for either the nodeserver or Z-Wave integration.

For Honeywell Home (and the nodeserver) you are basically talking one of the following thermostats:

• T5 Wi-Fi
  • T6 Pro Wi-Fi
  • Lyric Round Wi-Fi
  • D6 Pro WI-Fi
  • T9 or T10 Pro

There is also a TotalConnect2 nodeserver but it does not support any thermostats just the security system. I'm not sure if the RedLINK supported thermostats can talk to Total Connect Comfort (TCC) or not. If they can then a nodeserver could potentially be built for it but one doesn't currently exist. Honeywell has talked about bringing TCC thermostats into the Honeywell Home API but as of right now that integration doesn't exist.

2 hours ago, Teken said:

Time permitting can you check to see if the range for either hot / cold is defined vs the user can enter whatever value they wish and lock it in. For me that is critical as I don't want the home to ever be say 5'C cold for heating / 26'C for cooling etc. 

Other than what I already posted, I don't know what you are asking.
If you don't want the setpoints to go outside 15-26C then you set that locally as the limits. Now, nothing can set the setpoints outside of that.

If you don't want anything to change the setpoint at all then lock it with a password.

402818505_ecobeesetpointlimits.thumb.jpg.03f081969061ecddb814822d2d67aafb.jpg613928900_ecobeesetpointlimitsdetail.thumb.jpg.1cdf22544080eb28f354bb7592e04896.jpg

1 hour ago, larryllix said:

Other than what I already posted, I don't know what you are asking.
If you don't want the setpoints to go outside 15-26C then you set that locally as the limits. Now, nothing can set the setpoints outside of that.

If you don't want anything to change the setpoint at all then lock it with a password.

402818505_ecobeesetpointlimits.thumb.jpg.03f081969061ecddb814822d2d67aafb.jpg613928900_ecobeesetpointlimitsdetail.thumb.jpg.1cdf22544080eb28f354bb7592e04896.jpg

In the heating range image you have provided what is the lowest set point along with the highest a person can define? Based on the little balls presented here it looks to be the lowest goes down to say 8'C??

2 hours ago, Teken said:

In the heating range image you have provided what is the lowest set point along with the highest a person can define? Based on the little balls presented here it looks to be the lowest goes down to say 8'C??

AFAICT the limits are settable from 7 to 49C. I imagine the limits control the setpoint ranges anyway so I didn't try those again.
The sliders you see are not absolute but rather a control to cause the main setting to "ramp" either way. The numbers are fictitious and only indicate "direction". It's a little awkward but you only adjust it at set up or when somebody decides the "smarts" are not warm/cold  enough. My wife never touches it, and I might do that twice per year after having trouble with my HA that day.

17 hours ago, Teken said:

I will be in the market in the near future for a TSTAT. Wondering if there is anything new in 2020?? emoji848.png

Lastly, has anyone with a WiFi STAT ever blocked the unit to see how they react? emoji848.png

I recently replaced mine with a Honeywell TH6320ZW2003/U. It is local and ISY sees some of the common settings in the admin console. It also has a web phone app. I don't use it so I cant comment there. It allows setting the low and high set points but they are still limited to 50/90 at min/max.

Still trying to get the hang of using it from Alexa. So far I don't like that part but maybe after I get the hang of it.

I really like the backlight setting (from a config call). The backlight can be off during the day and at levels 1-5 at night.

They have them as dumb, ZWave (mine) Wifi and Lyric. Not sure about Zigbee.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/412C6ud05yL._AC_.jpg

38 minutes ago, DrLumen said:

I recently replaced mine with a Honeywell TH6320ZW2003/U. It is local and ISY sees some of the common settings in the admin console. It also has a web phone app. I don't use it so I cant comment there. It allows setting the low and high set points but they are still limited to 50/90 at min/max.

Still trying to get the hang of using it from Alexa. So far I don't like that part but maybe after I get the hang of it.

I really like the backlight setting (from a config call). The backlight can be off during the day and at levels 1-5 at night.

They have them as dumb, ZWave (mine) Wifi and Lyric. Not sure about Zigbee.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/412C6ud05yL._AC_.jpg

Nice!

Does it offer any metrics in terms of tracking temp, run time, etc? Also, does it support dual stage furnace / AC?

1 hour ago, Teken said:

Nice!

Does it offer any metrics in terms of tracking temp, run time, etc? Also, does it support dual stage furnace / AC?

I haven't found any tracking info that is exposed or documented; yet. It has various filter change reminders that you can set for x run time days or months so it has to be tracking run time at some level. It also has what they call an automatic recovery to anticipate run times based on temperature deltas. So, they have to be calculating some type of temp rise/drop coefficients but again nothing documented other than they have it.

There are registers that they call ISU's that range from 120 to 1425 but only document about 60. I have tired querying others and get values back but no way to know what they represent. As I just got it I'm working on getting it set up and integrated and have not had time to start hacking or looking into some undocumented stuff yet.

It supports 3H/2C. I'm using it for a heat pump system so based on what options are selected the trees change as you drill down into the settings. It should be able to handle 2 stage gas (fossil) heat but I can't promise it. Here is a link to the owners manual for the wifi version.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/Honeywell-TH6320WF2003-Install-Instructions.pdf

1 hour ago, Teken said:

Nice!

I assume you have seen some of the ecobee screenshots in old posts? I cannot find the posts anymore but found these in my reserves.

142664008_ecobeelocking.thumb.jpg.c3c7a552b995aeda52c1666e6e2cb492.jpg5ad38bbd2ff17_Ecobeeschedulehistory.thumb.jpg.3ec3e382d218956c86226ee09589daad.jpg5ad38c2a74372_Ecobeedownloadstats.thumb.jpg.e04e0db62e7ec24299b6e93ded15b2b7.jpg142664008_ecobeelocking.thumb.jpg.c3c7a552b995aeda52c1666e6e2cb492.jpg

ecobee time zones.jpg

Appreciate the visuals Larry helps me see what features are available and how it’s presented. I’ll take a few moments to read the user manual from the Doc!

Based solely on looks the Honeywell knocks it out the park. It’s symmetrical, well laid out, and white!

The eco bee well it’s a little odd shaped But does offer some nice features and has integration to the ISY Series Controller.

The Honeywell too but would need to go Z-Wave to obtain the same integration.

38 minutes ago, Teken said:

Appreciate the visuals Larry helps me see what features are available and how it’s presented. I’ll take a few moments to read the user manual from the Doc! emoji1787.png

Based solely on looks the Honeywell knocks it out the park. It’s symmetrical, well laid out, and white! emoji106.png

The eco bee emoji219.png well it’s a little odd shaped emoji1785.pngemoji2957.png But does offer some nice features and has integration to the ISY Series Controller.

The Honeywell too but would need to go Z-Wave to obtain the same integration.

The black round looks odd at first and the black shows the fingerprints easily. However, now I find white thermostats looks like cheap plastic.

Mounting one for a sister-in-law I screwed up and had to use the supplied white rings to cover the sins. I hate the look of them but it is not as obnoxious as a thermostat screen with bright colour photographs behind large number displays that cannot bee recognised due to numeric cover. :) 

@TekenThis is the shot I thought would be of most interest to you. It shows the built-in fan cycler at work on the 5 minutes per hour setting. Note the time settings do not equate to actual minutes but rather to cycle ratios based on 5 minute clicks. IIRC this setting gives 15 minutes off and 5 minutes on. The scale can be mouse scrolled to expand to display about a minute per 1/4" of screen.
1634014535_Ecobeecyclechart.thumb.jpg.e57907571db823a390eeca8b5380b4ec.jpg

Archived