8 button insteon keypad question

ingeborgdot

I got it to work.  I decided to go into the buttons grouping and checked the box under the one keypad button for the one button that would be grouped with it.  I just took a shot and now it works like it should.  What does the buttons grouping do?  I have never used that before but it worked for me this time. 

10 hours ago, ingeborgdot said:

I got it to work.  I decided to go into the buttons grouping and checked the box under the one keypad button for the one button that would be grouped with it.  I just took a shot and now it works like it should.  What does the buttons grouping do?  I have never used that before but it worked for me this time. 

Button groupings turns off a button when either button is pressed. It's not recommended to use this as a scene correctly built will accomplish the same thing and works better long term. 

When using button groupings, status is not properly tracked which can impact programs and syncing when using external controls such as apps since those are not carried over when using button groupings.

46 minutes ago, Tominnh said:

The pads I bought are Mini-Remotes 2342-2 and seem to be for controlling scenes.  States they can be used to control individual items but the directions are poor at best. As a reult I've never got them to work. 

I'm not understanding what you're saying. They link to scenes and individuals devices exactly the same (a remote button and single light would be a scene)

1 hour ago, lilyoyo1 said:

Button groupings turns off a button when either button is pressed. It's not recommended to use this as a scene correctly built will accomplish the same thing and works better long term. 

When using button groupings, status is not properly tracked which can impact programs and syncing when using external controls such as apps since those are not carried over when using button groupings.

Okay, I guess I should have asked first before doing it.  It works but I guess it sounds like it will cause another problem if I don't get rid of it.  How can I shut off that button grouping that I did? 

I understand that a scene correctly built will accomplish what I want but I have built many scenes and they all work except the one.  I used to work until I had to replace the keypad switch.

Okay, something is up with my isy.  I had a scene that I was not using anymore, but I know it was working so I just deleted all that was in it, renamed it, added the two buttons I needed added, made the adjustments I wanted, and it now works.  Easy as that.  Just like I thought I knew how to do.  It made me feel good that I didn't forget how to do this.  But it frustrates me that I spent all of this time and there seems to be something wrong with the isy or the firmware. 

No matter what I do to add any scene it does not work if it is a NEW scene.  When I add a new scene, I name it, but it comes up with the word, null.  This is above me for sure, and I'm wondering if I should contact support on this????  I don't know how many new scenes I will ever create but it should work like it used to. 

This might seem a bit basic, but these symptoms seem strange: are your ISY firmware and UI versions the same?  Check the Help | About menu.  If they aren't the same, then the fix might be easy.  If they are the same, then I'd think about opening a ticket with UDI support.  Reference this thread if you do.

Well, that solved the problem.  I wish I were smart enough to have figured that out myself.  I just don't work with this often enough to know it well enough.  I set it many years ago and don't have to mess with it too often, so I have a tendency to forget some of it. 

Thanks to all that have helped me out.  I now add new scene and it gives me what I want.

On 1/19/2020 at 9:56 AM, lilyoyo1 said:

I'm not understanding what you're saying. They link to scenes and individuals devices exactly the same (a remote button and single light would be a scene)

I've had problems getting them to link. I may have figured out the issue though!  Thank you

• 5 months later...
7 hours ago, mkirker said:

My Firmware and UI are the same but I can't get the ISY to program the mini 8 remote.  I am also new to programming ISY.  Please assume I know nothing.  

Insteon battery devices need to be in "linking mode" before they will allow any input to them. This is usually accomplished by holding a small button down for about 5 seconds until the device starts to blink slowly. After you program the device from the ISY admin console you tap the button a few time to take it out of linking mode again.

Every device should be factory reset before linking to ISY, especially when new. That also involved that same button, and power cycling. Each device has it's own technique.

Archived