Network Traffic with ISY994, Polisy and Node Servers

JTsao

My setup includes the ISY994i/Pro, Polisy Pro and node servers for DSC/Envisalink, Harmony Hub, Hue Emulator, Rachio and Ring.  I have 4 Harmony Hubs.  Recently, my son has been complaining that the WiFi performance has been bad.  I was wondering if all of this new home automation traffic is bogging down my WiFi router (Netgear R7800)???  There are some short poll / long poll parameters for all of these node servers.  Would increasing poll times make things better?  Are these poll times in ms?  Currently all are set to defaults of 5 (short) and 60 (long) except the DSC-Envisalink is 10/30.  The ISY, Polisy and DSC-Envisalink4 are on wired ethernet.  The Harmony Hubs (4) are on wireless N 2.4G.  The Rachio is on a separate wireless access point (5G).  The Ring is wireless N 2.4G.  Any thoughts on how much additional traffic this stuff adds?  (I realize this could also be router firmware, or something else degrading performance).

I have a hard time believing that Polyglot is going to throw too much data across your network.  It might impact your ISY, but I doubt a wireless network running 802.11N would see many performance hits due to Polyglot traffic.  Watch the Polyglot log and you can get an idea of the amount of traffic involved, and remember, Polyglot isn't moving binary multimedia streams across your network. 

I suspect that all the poll time are in seconds, though that may vary per nodeserver.

As a test, stop Polyglot for a few hours and see if your network performance improves.

@jtsao, I have 4 Harmony Hubs, and supporting Polyglot nodeservers for that and 7 other services including Weatherpoly, Weatherbit, Kasa, BlueIris, AVRemote, etc. and have noticed no impact on my network. I agree with @Bumbershoot that the Polyglot traffic is minimal compared to streaming and gaming. I'm interested in what happens if/when you try stopping Polyglot.

Archived