Displaying individual variables "as devices" (sort of like virtual devices)

madcodger

• 5 weeks later...

Hi @markv58,  I am trying to use the new generic/dimmer Bright/Dim capability that you just added.  I created a generic virtual node to replace the virtual switch I had been using.  I am using these in conjunction with the HousePanel app.  Both the switch and the dimmer come through as a switch on the Housepanel side.  I ran a rest/nodes to look at the differences, see below.  My knowledge is limited in this area but reading in the ISY REST development manual it looks like a dimmer should have a PID of 1, the 2nd number in the <type> below.  The PID seems to be the same on both.  Is this the right interpretation?  Thank you.

image.png.402a4258b703687d5af7169bd5f39ab8.png

• 1 month later...

@markv58,  I having trouble getting the nodeserver to communicate with my ISY.  Earlier today I had to change the IP address of my ISY.  That of course ripples trouble in all directions...  I have updated the IP address in the Polyglot settings and the parameter within the node server.  I have have restarted the nodeserver and the Polyglot and the ISY but still no luck.  From the ISY side the nodeserver reports to be online but when I try to operate and virtual switch ISY comes back with an error, "request failed"  I get the same response if I try the button on the controller node, "query", "update profile", etc

Any suggestions,

Thank you

2 minutes ago, tmorse305 said:

@markv58,  I having trouble getting the nodeserver to communicate with my ISY.  Earlier today I had to change the IP address of my ISY.  That of course ripples trouble in all directions...  I have updated the IP address in the Polyglot settings and the parameter within the node server.  I have have restarted the nodeserver and the Polyglot and the ISY but still no luck.  From the ISY side the nodeserver reports to be online but when I try to operate and virtual switch ISY comes back with an error, "request failed"  I get the same response if I try the button on the controller node, "query", "update profile", etc

Any suggestions,

Thank you

Update the new ISY address on the Virtual custom config page, save then restart.

19 minutes ago, markv58 said:

Update the new ISY address on the Virtual custom config page, save then restart.

19 minutes ago, markv58 said:

I have updated the IP address in the Polyglot settings and the parameter within the node server.

Thanks @markv58Sorry that wasn't clearer, I have already updated it in two places, within the Polyglot setting and within the virtual NS.  The log looks ok, no obvious errors

• 3 weeks later...

I installed the Virtual nodeserver and was able to add some temperatures for monitoring - well done and thank you.

I also wanted to add a humidity reading, but it looks funny listed as temperature. Is there a way to change the tag?

I was going to try generic and once I added it I saw it was only for a switch. So I deleted it in the nodeserver, restarted the nodeserver and it disappeared from there, however, I can not get rid of it in the ISY. I have tried update profile, re-discover, and query, restarting the admin console after toggling each.

How do I remove this unused node?

@DennisC The Generic is for any value 0 - 100 so it would be fine for humidity.

When you delete a node from the nodeserver nodes page it should be removed from ISY too, make sure to delete the custom config page entry or it will reappear in ISY on a nodeserver re-start.

Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 10.25.40 AM.png

56 minutes ago, markv58 said:

@DennisC The Generic is for any value 0 - 100 so it would be fine for humidity.

When you delete a node from the nodeserver nodes page it should be removed from ISY too, make sure to delete the custom config page entry or it will reappear in ISY on a nodeserver re-start.

Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 10.25.40 AM.png

Yes, I did delete it from the configuration screen of the nodeserver in Polyglot. I restarted the nodeserver, went to admin console updated profile and restarted admin console. I still can't get rid of it.

If I use the generic for humidity from a CAO wireless tag or variable, how do you associate the generic reading to the variable or device?

2 hours ago, DennisC said:

If I use the generic for humidity from a CAO wireless tag or variable, how do you associate the generic reading to the variable or device?

Use a program to update the generic:

If <something> is not <generic>

Then <generic> is <something>

Just to check, did you save changes after deleting the custom config param?

• 5 months later...

@markv58 or others...  I just added the node server to create a couple virtual switches.  I read this thread but it is very focused on temperatures so maybe I missed what I need. 

I want simple switches that are linked to state variables with a value of 1 for On and 0 for Off.  I entered their variable ids in node config and they showed in ISY as expected.  My question is with virtual switches do I need programs to move the 1 and 0 as On and Off or for switches is that part of the nodeserver purpose?  It appears I do since  turning On or  Off the virtual switch does not impact the variable and changing the variable value does not impact the virtual switch state.  I don't want to add programs if they are a duplication of the nodeserver programming and its not working as I've done something else wrong or its one of the polling intervals.

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, hart2hart said:

@markv58 or others...  I just added the node server to create a couple virtual switches.  I read this thread but it is very focused on temperatures so maybe I missed what I need. 

I want simple switches that are linked to state variables with a value of 1 for On and 0 for Off.  I entered their variable ids in node config and they showed in ISY as expected.  My question is with virtual switches do I need programs to move the 1 and 0 as On and Off or for switches is that part of the nodeserver purpose?  It appears I do since  turning On or  Off the virtual switch does not impact the variable and changing the variable value does not impact the virtual switch state.  I don't want to add programs if they are a duplication of the nodeserver programming and its not working as I've done something else wrong or its one of the polling intervals.

Thanks!

The virtual switch is its own variable, on or off. You can link it to a variable with a program if you want but that seems redundant. A vs can be queried or used in a program same as a variable.

I put them in scenes so I can query whether a scene is on or off and use them for a dozen other things as is. 

The virtual switch is its own variable, on or off. You can link it to a variable with a program if you want but that seems redundant. A vs can be queried or used in a program same as a variable.
I put them in scenes so I can query whether a scene is on or off and use them for a dozen other things as is. 

Gotcha. Fantastic, I think the light is on. Lol

When entering it in configuration, is the id just supposed to be unique number within the Virtual Nodeserver … not be a pointer to an ISY variable?

This is fantastic tool ! Thank you.
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/22/2021 at 3:13 PM, hart2hart said:

When entering it in configuration, is the id just supposed to be unique number within the Virtual Nodeserver … not be a pointer to an ISY variable?

@markv58Same question.  I'm assuming this is correct.

Also agree this is a very useful NS.  Thanks!

@gzahar @hart2hart The id is not linked to the variable, it was in the beginning but the nodeserver evolved. After much thought and feedback I decided to just have a number as the id rather than a proper name, which you can choose in the admin console and rename any time you want.

Archived