MobiLinc HD No longer working on three devices??

dbwarner5

Suddenly beginning in the last week or so, my MobiLinc HD, which is on my iPhone and two iPads has stopped working. When I open the app, I immediate get the "MobiLinc Disconnected .. Attempting to reconnect to ISY" error message. This message will flash on and off and MobiLinc never connects. These connections have been while on my LAN.

Several times, on each device, I have been able to go to settings, lighting controller and "tap to Sync with ISY" -> update only, and this has worked about 50% of the time to get me connected.

If I connect via Cell phone vs LAN WiFi, it will connect and then if I switch back to WiFi, it stays connected. This only works with my phone, as my iPads dont have cellular service. 

I have no problems connecting via computer using the Admin Console on my LAN, however when I connect via the WAN, I get the following three error messages from the ISY, in this order, followed by an active message that never ends (fourth one below)

1659886617_ScreenShot2020-08-21at10_48_09AM.thumb.jpg.3c39d7dde4cf1dec651eae9be6c41b75.jpg320433979_ScreenShot2020-08-21at10_49_44AM.thumb.jpg.e728e5619dfade6d0a323f1741e296e8.jpg

1511694756_ScreenShot2020-08-21at10_50_43AM.jpg.712a2eba3701ea788a7451026e4eff25.jpg

976144788_ScreenShot2020-08-21at10_56_19AM.jpg.73abdbcbd76a88a5b1b5a260d2de1f54.jpg

This is my ISY settings1607420621_ScreenShot2020-08-21at10_58_09AM.jpg.5c936c63c51b891b0d0f3f69f13f8caf.jpg...

MobiLinc is V4.17

Any thoughts anyone? 

Thanks.

Hi @dbwarner5

You may want to get UDI support involved since those errors are from the Admin Console and they'll have better insight as to what's going on with the ISY. Also, you have their portal installed which may or may not be playing a role here with your port-forwarding settings. 

One thing I do know about our MobiLinc Portal is I recommend NOT opening up your ISY to the greater internet with a port-forward if you use our MobiLinc Portal (there is similar recommendations for the UDI Portal). For one, it isn't necessary as our MobiLinc Portal can do everything you'd need with a port-forward, and two, with a port-forward, the ISY may be getting pinged from port scanners that use up all available connections which locks you out from accessing the ISY. 

Wes

@Michel Kohanim I have not changed anything in terms of the portal or mobilinc since I purchased Mobilinc HD when it first came out. 

I am not using the Mobile link Portal. I connect directly via DYNDNS server and port forwarding on my router. I may be starting to have failure with my router is my only thoughts here, as again, nothing has changed. 

Thanks

@Michel Kohanim  sorry Michel.. I dont understand your answer.. I can sign in using the admin on my LAN with no problems.. I get the errors though if I go through the WAN (ie traveling), and most critically, I cannot get mobiLinc to connect anymore... its very intermittent.... has worked fo r> 10 years w/o any problems, and now suddenly, its not working. I will go into my router and delete the port forwarding and redo it to see if that has gone awry. But beyond that I dont know what to troubleshoot. thanks

@Michel Kohanim  So after a few minutes of MobiLinc trying to connect, it finally connected. I have now quit it and reconnected again w/o problem. Nothing showed in the error log, but in the basic log, it did show conversation with Elk and getting Topography around the same time, which makes me wonder if that is causing a "delay" in reporting back to MobiLinc and once that was done, then MobiLinc connected...? 

@Michel Kohanim   Seem to get verification that this is the issue.. I have waited now almost 20 minutes and tried to reconnect.. same issue.. it took about 90 seconds for MobiLinc to connect and on the Log, it shows, again.. "Get Topography -- ELK-TX" Followed by "Get All Status -- ELK-TX"..... during this delay... once that was completed, then MobiLinc connected......

This is relatively new behavior.

Continued to have problems.. no connections... so I have deleted and re-entered all port forwarding info, static DHCPs after rebooting router twice. Rebooted ISY... first attempt, connected right away..Lets see if that cleared the problem, whatever it was. Will update again after a while and more attempts. Thanks.

@Michel Kohanim  SOLVED!! ..... as I initially suspected, my router is dying..I switched the LAN port the ISY was attached to, and all is good....very quick, instant connections... Think the ISY was losing its network connection on and off and that was causing all kinds of Elk / MobiLinc and overall connectivity issues.

Thanks as usual for your quick responses and help!

24 minutes ago, dbwarner5 said:

@Michel Kohanim  SOLVED!! ..... as I initially suspected, my router is dying..I switched the LAN port the ISY was attached to, and all is good....very quick, instant connections... Think the ISY was losing its network connection on and off and that was causing all kinds of Elk / MobiLinc and overall connectivity issues.

Thanks as usual for your quick responses and help!

I have had four routers crash in the summer now. One Netgear and three ASUS routers. I still use the Netgear as a hub behind my bedroom TV and with it mounted vertical it doesn't appear to exhibit the problem anymore. OTOH I have the WiFi turned off also as that is a big BIG problem with all the power attempting to be pumped out of these routers.

My first ASUS router is now acting as an AP on my new ASUS mesh network. (yeah the one with a NVRAM shortage). It acts better mounted vertically with better air flow also, and not doing DHCP things.

My last two ASUS AX86u routers run really warm and now I have muffin fans sitting on top of both of them. I use surplus 12v muffin fans from old desktop PSUs and wired them to USB 5v making them run slowly and quietly. They just sit on top of the routers between the antennae and they seem to be fine now.

The strangest thing is I air condition all summer without break so the house temperature doesn't ever vary higher than I heat in the winter. Humidity?

Larry, I think you are getting at the root of my problem.. heat.. my router, cable modem, ABS, printer, ISY and a few other things are in a cabinet, upstairs, w/o ac and it has been routinely 80ish upstairs and therefore much hotter in this cabinet.. I have been on borrowed time with older apple products (7 wifi points) and just ordered 2 sets of 3 TP link WiFi6 dual band mesh units on sale at Costco right now for $250 each set.  most of my access points have ethernet cable access so am hoping that the dual band will work well.. Will see once they are in and I have a rainy day to install.

:)  cheers.

Wait, this sounds very similar to the problem I and others have experienced as detailed here:

https://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/25634-already-subscribed-bug-in-5014/

I believe it’s likely that you fixed your problem [temporarily] by rebooting ISY, not by changing the Ethernet port but who knows. Please keep us updated...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

@dbwarner5 what TP-Link Mesh router did you buy?  It's only dual band. 

Word of caution if you use the TP Link app for Dynamic DNS (TP Link DDNS - tplinkdns.com) - I had major issues with it not working on my setup on two different firmware updates now (I use their Deco 9+ devices).  The Deco 9+ is/was 3 band so it has a dedicated wireless backhaul for speed. They also have LAN connectors on each satellite and it works really well for wired printers, MAC TimeMachine, and other wired devices in other rooms.

I haven't tried to use the TP-Link DDNS recently, but know it was something they were trying to fix about a year ago when they had a bunch of people reporting problems with their DDNS service.

Their app doesn't allow any other options for DDNS (you mentioned you previously used DYNDNS).

@Geddy.  I ended up going with the dual band D90 series. But all of my locations have ethernet back to the main unit for backhaul. Getting great speeds. of >100Mbps on phones everywhere. Have been very satisfied so far, but was an enormous amount of work, realigning all of my installed devices to a new domain, with static addresses and / or reservations etc.  and then relink them all to each other etc. Was glad that I still had my old router and I could still fire it up, get to the device on the old domain and then change it to the new domain, relocate it via the new tp link domain, and then realign it to a static.....

Yes I was aware of the DYNDNS issue. Luckily our service provider doesn't change it too often, but of course it will when I am traveling as luck may go. Still thinking through that problem. 

And I am having great consistency with ISY now and no problems with Mobilinc connecting. Hate "failing" devices because they work just enough that its hazed to eliminate them as a cause. 

Thanks,  

Archived