REplaced Serial Modem, now comms problems

Hi all,

After replacing my PLM, I am having problems hoping I can get some direction. 

I used "Restore Modem" command to replace the PLM and since then it seems the ISY cannot communicate with some devices. Things work as expected with existing scenes and commands when executed from a device (e.g. switch, keypad), but when I execute scenes or programs from ISY some work and some don't. The ISY seems to think things have worked, it shows status of devices as "on" when a scene would turn them on, but in reality the devices are not on.

Note that powerline/RF comms have not been a problem in the past. This is existing setup for 7 years.

I have attempted "Restore Devices" which seems to succeed (although I didn't watch the whole thing, it took about an hour).

Looking for advice about what to try next and/or what output to capture to assist troubleshooting. 

Some communication events from the log at attached:

write-updates to device.txt shows what happens when I try to write pending updates to a device. The device happens to be battery powered, but is in linking mode.

scene-on-then-fast-on.txt: shows the output when I try to turn a scene "ON" (which fails) and then use "Fast ON" (which also fails)

query-back-door-writeupdates.txt: shows a query command sent to a door sensor in linking mode, followed by a write updates command which all fail.

Thanks in advance for anyone who wants to offer some advice!

:Mike (Walkman9999)

query-back-door-writeupdates.txt scene-on-then-fast-on.txt write-updates to device.txt

When you swapped the PLM. Did you power down both the old PLM and the ISY994i? Then swap the PLM and power it up first. Then power up the ISY994i so it could find the new PLM at boot up.

If you just swapped the PLM and not a power cycle. The ISY994i is still using the old PLM's ID.

My assumption was that if the ISY was trying to talk to the previous/wrong PLM that no comms would take place between ISY and devices, but I do see some successful comms when monitoring through the event viewer. I am interested to know if this is expected with the  wrong PLM scenario?

That said, I came for advice from more knowledgeable people so I'm going to take the advice given and will report back. Thank you.

Hi all,

I repeated the process to replace the PLM modem but still had same symptoms. I then used the the "Restore Devices" command, but still have same symptoms.

1) The ISY seems to think it is activating some scenes/devices, but it has no effect on the actual devices in the scenes (status shows things being "ON" when triggered by scene but they are not). Pictures "Image1.jpg" and "image2.jpg" illustrate this. Other scenes seem to work fine.

2) The ISY cannot communicate with some devices in the house, but others are fine (attached to case is an example of this "writeupdatestodevices.txt")

The logs for the replace modem and restore devices commands are attached ("ISY-Events-Log.v4.8.0__Fri 2020.08.28 08.22.21.txt").

Can anyone suggest a test to capture what might be happening?

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help!

:Mike

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

ISY-Events-Log_v4.8.0__Fri_2020_08.28_08_22_21.txt

3 minutes ago, walkman9999 said:

I feel like all I can do is rebuild from scratch, the system runs the house and the wife isn't happy with the current situation.

Is there a resource of the least painful way to start over?  

Reboot the isy and clear your Java cache and then try before starting over

Thank you, but this was done early in process. Is there any other possibility before I take the "nuclear option"?

And, if I need to go that route, is there a way to "save" any of the scenes, programs or variable configs to save some work. I assume I'll need to re-add the devices from scratch

I wasn't trying to upgrade, I was trying to restore a backup. The file I thought was a backup (uuid.00.21.b9.02.00.88.zip) was not able to be opened by ISY - for some reason, it thought the file was an upgrade (even though I did FIle | Restore option) (screenshot above). I assume backup was corrupted or something. THis is all an attempt to fix same problem described above.

At this point I'm willing to bite the bullet and rebuild the config from scratch. Hoping there is some way to save some work by importing only scenes or programs. 

10 years of Insteon/ISY and this is the first time I've had to rebuild, but I don't see an alternative because suggestions above are not working.

I found an older backup and I restored from it successfully. Then, following instructions from the Wiki, I allowed the ISY to complete its initial scan/query and then did a  File | Restore Devices. This took about 45 minutes and completed with no errors.

Some progress. At this point: 

• Scenes and devices work from the physical control (switch, keypad, etc.)
  • Devices work individually from ISY with use of "ON" or "Fast ON", etc.
  • Scenes do not work from ISY. Running a Scene test results in most (but not all) devices saying "[Failed]" and, the devices that say "[Succeeded]" do not actually come on.
    • see attached logfile "scene-test.txt"

scene-test.txt

Archived