Micros and In-line relays discontinued!!??

Samedarkclouds

20 minutes ago, Techman said:

Brian, what's the date in the database for the 2234-223 PLM?  It's most likely for Europe. 

I noticed that the 2413S PLM is "sold out" on the Smarthome website

I found a  Bridge Controller and 3 versions of Wall Switches that are in the process of getting approval. Not sure what country they're being designed for.

I doubt it is for Europe only. Why would they look for FCC approval if not being sold in the USA? When the European Standards authorities would be the ones needing approval.

21 minutes ago, Brian H said:

I doubt it is for Europe only. Why would they look for FCC approval if not being sold in the USA? When the European Standards authorities would be the ones needing approval.

Good point.  I found a 2413S PLM on Amazon, that's shipped from Smarthome. What's a bit unnerving is that it was the last one and the price had been reduced by about $20. Either they're coming out with an updated replacement or .......?

Update 

I just took another look on Amazon and now they're not showing as unavailable, but the price is still reduced.

https://www.amazon.com/Insteon-2413S-Serial-Interface-Dual-Band/dp/B002X8W4SI/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=2413s&qid=1602806019&sr=8-3

I do remember seeing a few Bridge devices in the FCC Database but can't find them in my archives at the moment. I think I downloaded the files.

I did find added to the FCC Database date of 10/29/2019 for the 2234-222 and 2234-223 modules. As SBP22342

2 hours ago, Brian H said:

I do remember seeing a few Bridge devices in the FCC Database but can't find them in my archives at the moment. I think I downloaded the files.

I did find added to the FCC Database date of 10/29/2019 for the 2234-222 and 2234-223 modules. As SBP22342

Here's the specs, maybe this is why they're unloading the current model.

Insteon® Serial Interface Modem (Dual-Band) Model: 2234-223 Insteon Modem Features  Expanded operation to 100-240VAC and 50/60Hz.  Increased Insteon links storage from ~1000 to ~4,000 links with faster read/writes  Uses the same communication protocol and structure to match earlier models  Updated all processors with increased memory space and speed  Beefed up electronics to reduce failures due to AC-mains electrical spikes, noise and heat from poorly ventilated install locations  New and smaller enclosure that matches other Insteon plug-in products  Increased powerline transmitting signaling levels and robustness  New RF circuit with higher sensitivity components and calibrated antenna circuit  Supplies 5VDC capable of powering single-board computers like ISY™ controllers  Added fast TVS surge suppression on the Serial port to prevent static damage

8 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

A little background: we have been in business for 13 years, supported INSTEON for 12 years, and were subjected to their incessant attempts to replace ISY with their own thing for 11 years (8 attempts in total). So, about 6 years ago, we decided to make our own PLMs but, thankfully - SmartHome being SmartHome - prevented us from doing so. So, 5 years ago, we decided to completely change our focus to Node Servers and Z-Wave. Thankfully, our sales no longer depend on INSTEON  or SmartHome.

The reason we are no longer sold on SmartHome is because I requested COD payment terms as it became quite unbearable having to wait to get paid every single time.

See above. With utility contracts, node servers, and Z-Wave we are 10000% OK and healthy. My worry is: what's going to happen to all those customers whose hubs or PLMs die? I hope they are working on the 9th attempt so that, at the least, these customers are not left in a limbo.

With kind regards,
Michel

It never made sense to me that SmartHome did not support UD/ISY. At my main house I have 37 SwitchLincs (dimmers and switches), 6 KeypadLincs, 3 FanLincs, and 7 Micro On/Offs. I also had six Insteon thermostats until a complete HVAC replacement forced me to dump them. Plus 7-8 plug-in modules that I use for decorative/holiday lighting. No way I could manage that many devices without my ISY. That's a lot of $ in SmartHome's pockets (not counting the Insteon and X-10 stuff I bought from them and left at the previous house). Plus they sell an $80 PLM with every ISY - that's what they are selling their Insteon Hub for. In other words, they make the same revenue from an ISY sale as they do from a Hub sale (and probably a higher margin). Insane.

That said, if for some reason my ISYs (I just bought my fourth ISY for a vacation home) lose the ability to work with Insteon (due to dying PLMs or whatever) I have too much invested in Insteon to switch over to Z-Wave. I don't fiddle too much with the ISY at home much, I've had the programs I need running for years. It's an appliance and it just works.

11 hours ago, Samedarkclouds said:

This is the thing... I don't want what's int he store. the point that was sold to us was that we could take Poly's and Git's and put them on the hardware Polisy. This is the reason you would get a piece of hardware and not just run it off the serve version. There are active Git's that I want to use specifically for ISY and not only does it appear that no one knows how to use them... but it appears that no one seems to think that's a thing. What are they there for then? Why did it say that we would be able to load our own into the hardware. WTH is the point of the thing if its got 4 node servers available to it that aren't on the completely free software version. This whole thing is ridiculous. UHFIOSDHOISJNDKNSJONSKN.  80)

Where did you read (within context of the whole sales page) load whatever is in github? Stuff has to be configured to run with polyglot and isy.

Michel has already stated you're more than welcome to sign up to be a developer and then you'll be able to do all that you want. Unless you choose to do that and until then, you will have limitations. 

If that doesn't work for you, return it. You can always use an Rpi for what you want. UDI prides itself on customer service so if you're not happy with Polisy or it doesn't do what you want....return it 

47 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

Where did you read (within context of the whole sales page) load whatever is in github? Stuff has to be configured to run with polyglot and isy.

Michel has already stated you're more than welcome to sign up to be a developer and then you'll be able to do all that you want. Unless you choose to do that and until then, you will have limitations. 

If that doesn't work for you, return it. You can always use an Rpi for what you want. UDI prides itself on customer service so if you're not happy with Polisy or it doesn't do what you want....return it 

There are GIts for polyglot and isy on GitHub. Obviously those are the ones I am talking about. What is the point of of the having the hardware if you can't do anything with it you couldn't do without it?

12 minutes ago, Samedarkclouds said:

There are GIts for polyglot and isy on GitHub. Obviously those are the ones I am talking about. What is the point of of the having the hardware if you can't do anything with it you couldn't do without it?

If they are for the isy then they are in the polyglot store unless it's still under development and not ready to be released. All you have to do is go to the store, find it, and hit install. You're driving 20 miles out the way just to go across the street. Makes no sense

FWIW here is SmartHome's answer when I asked about PLM availability:

The item is not discontinued at this time, but is currently out of stock.

Due to component availability we do not expect t have more available until early next year at this time.

3 hours ago, Samedarkclouds said:

This is in fact possible.  I know because I'm using a unpublished nodeserver on polisy from github (it was branched from another version and developer didn't have supporting hardware for this branch to test, it was left untouched for over 2 years).  I've also modified it.  I'm also working on a entirely new version of the same that I intend to publish someday in the store for others.     So please stop repeating all your fallacies and change your attitude and become willing to learn.

21 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

A little background: we have been in business for 13 years, supported INSTEON for 12 years, and were subjected to their incessant attempts to replace ISY with their own thing for 11 years (8 attempts in total). So, about 6 years ago, we decided to make our own PLMs but, thankfully - SmartHome being SmartHome - prevented us from doing so. So, 5 years ago, we decided to completely change our focus to Node Servers and Z-Wave. Thankfully, our sales no longer depend on INSTEON  or SmartHome.

The reason we are no longer sold on SmartHome is because I requested COD payment terms as it became quite unbearable having to wait to get paid every single time.

See above. With utility contracts, node servers, and Z-Wave we are 10000% OK and healthy. My worry is: what's going to happen to all those customers whose hubs or PLMs die? I hope they are working on the 9th attempt so that, at the least, these customers are not left in a limbo.

With kind regards,
Michel

Michel,

Thank you for saying exactly what I've suspected for a long time.  Transparency goes a long way.  Now I am able to use actual information rather than my own theories to shape the direction of activities.

1 hour ago, MrBill said:

This is in fact possible.  I know because I'm using a unpublished nodeserver on polisy from github (it was branched from another version and developer didn't have supporting hardware for this branch to test, it was left untouched for over 2 years).  I've also modified it.  I'm also working on a entirely new version of the same that I intend to publish someday in the store for others.     So please stop repeating all your fallacies and change your attitude and become willing to learn.

Willing to learn? I began by asking what I’m missing and got told 7 times to download from the store by people that didn’t read the post. Your the first to even acknowledge the validity in what I was trying to do, and it turns out... you’re a twat.

1 minute ago, Samedarkclouds said:

“More” help? Hahaha. 

I figured it out for myself by reading this forum and the UDI wiki, and other documentation linked from those places.   I'll tell you that much.   

Had you shown you wanted to learn I might have helped.   But go figure it out for yourself... I'm not going to spoon-feed you, Chew it for you and swallow it for you.

8 minutes ago, MrBill said:

I figured it out for myself by reading this forum and the UDI wiki, and other documentation linked from those places.   I'll tell you that much.   

Had you shown you wanted to learn I might have helped.   But go figure it out for yourself... I'm not going to spoon-feed you, Chew it for you and swallow it for you.

Dude, you didn't follow the plot. I was not complaining about it not being able to be done... I was argiueing that it could be done to people that were TELLING ME it either couldn't be or to "use the store." I got told to use the store 4 times and to that I reply "why would they advertise....ect" as an argument for why USE THE STORE was not a valid answer. I was arguing that it MUST BE ABLE to do the things....

Now your telling me that I am complaining that it can't do the things? You were not one of the boneheads repeating "use the store" to my question... so you were not the target of my response. But now your under he impression that my frustration comes form a problem I have with UD or the Polisy or some other thing when the ONLY GD thing I have an issue with is the people telling me to use the store as an answer to my question... and now I have an issue where a a person who does seem to know what is even being discussed is completely confused about what my position in this thread is, and is telling me that my position is that I am refusing help or complaining about the tech... No, I was saying to people who kept telling me to use the store that there must be more to it to that otherwise why would the gits be there or why would the hardware exist or why would they advertise.... Thats me insisting that it IS possible, not complaining its not.

Jesus. I don't care anymore. I would rather go back to lamp light than have people try to explain coding logic to me that can't follow a verbal plot for more than five seconds.

2 minutes ago, Samedarkclouds said:

Dude, you didn't follow the plot. I was not complaining about it not being able to be done... I was argiueing that it could be done to people that were TELLING ME it either couldn't be or to "use the store." I got told to use the store 4 times and to that I reply "why would they advertise....ect" as an argument for why USE THE STORE was not a valid answer. I was arguing that it MUST BE ABLE to do the things....

Now your telling me that I am complaining that it can't do the things? You were not one of the boneheads repeating "use the store" to my question... so you were not the target of my response. But now your under he impression that my frustration comes form a problem I have with UD or the Polisy or some other thing when the ONLY GD thing I have an issue with is the people telling me to use the store as an answer to my question... and now I have an issue where a a person who does seem to know what is even being discussed is completely confused about what my position in this thread is, and is telling me that my position is that I am refusing help or complaining about the tech... No, I was saying to people who kept telling me to use the store that there must be more to it to that otherwise why would the gits be there or why would the hardware exist or why would they advertise.... Thats an me issuing it IS possible, not complaining its not.

Jesus. I don't care anymore. I would rather go back to lamp light than have people try to explain coding logic to me that can't follow a verbal plot for more than five seconds.

I'm not the target of your comment? it sure seems direct at me... let me quote you again:

42 minutes ago, Samedarkclouds said:

, and it turns out... you’re a twat.

Please contact UDI, support@universal-devices.com and request to return your polisy.  I'm certain @Michel Kohanim will approve your full refund.  It's obviously not for you.

I will not accept the bait and reply again.  Please get a refund from UDI then get professional counseling.

3 minutes ago, MrBill said:

I'm not the target of your comment? it sure seems direct at me... let me quote you again:

Please contact UDI, support@universal-devices.com and request to return your polisy.  I'm certain @Michel Kohanim will approve your full refund.  It's obviously not for you.

I will not accept the bait and reply again.  Please get a refund from UDI then get professional counseling.

Proving you can't follow a linear plot, YES.... THAT was directed at you, but the comment that got us there was you admonishing me for what had come before because you failed to follow the plot. And now you fail to follow that plot again.,.. so yeah, do me a favor and quit replying because you're a tedious fap.

34 minutes ago, Samedarkclouds said:

Proving you can't follow a linear plot, YES.... THAT was directed at you, but the comment that got us there was you admonishing me for what had come before because you failed to follow the plot. And now you fail to follow that plot again.,.. so yeah, do me a favor and quit replying because you're a tedious fap.

I don't mean that... You're a fine man for whom I have nothing but respect and admiration... But holy hell.

On 10/15/2020 at 9:43 AM, mikewu99 said:

If Smarthome discontinues the PLM, where will that leave UD ans the ISY?

I also take hope in the fact that the ISY is not the only user of the PLM.  I understand that those PC (or other computer)-based automation solutions (such as homeseer, openHAB, houselinc, things like that) also use the PLM.  I cannot help but suspect that killing of the PLM will kill insteon and also suspect Smarthome recognizes the possibility.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2020 at 11:25 AM, Michel Kohanim said:

With kind regards,
Michel

I've been using the ISY's in my residential integration business for about 12 years.

They are a fantastic piece of kit.

I have them doings things that even surprised Michel (back in the day). I am glad that I did because now that INSTEON is discontinuing products that have been the core of by business (micro dimmers, etc.) I have options instead of pulling the systems out of customers houses as components die off.

It sounds like I it's time to learn what this Polisy and Polyglot is all about.

Archived