Release 5.3.0 - OUTDATED

Chris Jahn

I had to upgrade my Z-wave board from a relatively recent board.  I believe I did the installation correctly.

I upgraded from 5.0.16c (I think?) to this new version.  Questions:

1) Since I already had a z-wave board and module, do I have to pay the $1 for module?

2) If I do have to pay $1 for the module, can anyone point me to where this is? Every time I link from the admin console to the UD store, it takes me to a page that does not offer the module, and I cannot find an option to pay for the module anywhere.

3) My Z-wave no longer works.  How can I debug?

8 hours ago, ctviggen1 said:

I had to upgrade my Z-wave board from a relatively recent board.  I believe I did the installation correctly.

I upgraded from 5.0.16c (I think?) to this new version.  Questions:

1) Since I already had a z-wave board and module, do I have to pay the $1 for module?

2) If I do have to pay $1 for the module, can anyone point me to where this is? Every time I link from the admin console to the UD store, it takes me to a page that does not offer the module, and I cannot find an option to pay for the module anywhere.

3) My Z-wave no longer works.  How can I debug?

Are you saying you upgrades from 300 series to 500 series zwave board? If so, no, you do not need to re-purchase the module. 

Make sure you followed the directions for upgrading as follows:

Assembly Instructions

• Open ISY
    • Unplug ISY from power
    • There are four screws on the back which should be removed

Bottom Screws

• Prepare the Enclosure
    • Take ISY board out of the enclosure
  • Attach the Dongle to ISY' expansion slot
    • Plugin the Dongle into the Bottom Row of ISY expansion slot

Bottom Screws

• Put everything back
    • Push ISY board back into the enclosure starting with the side where all the LEDs are
  • Activate the Z-Wave Module

Now that you have assembled ISY/Z-Wave Dongle, you will need to purchase the Z-Wave Module by going through Help | Purchase Modules | Z-Wave Module in the Admin Console. The price will be $1.00.

Upgrading from 300 Series

If you are upgrading from the 300 series, make sure you do:

• Z-Wave | Tools | Backup
  • File | Backup ISY
  • Follow the assembly instructions to swap the Z-Wave dongle with the 500 series version
  • Upgrade to 5.2.0 or above
  • Z-Wave | Restore

FYI, make sure the dongle is in the bottom row of the ISY expansion slot. Upgrade to latest firmware, v5.3 after starting ISY and then restore zwave.

Makes sure you make a full zwave backup prior to beginning the upgrade.

I did move from a 300 series board to a 500 series board. 

Shoot, I did not see the Z-wave/tools/backup, or the restore.  I tried the restore, but there is no file. 

Why doesn't a backup of the ISY also store the z-wave configuration?  Should I be backing up the z-wave configuration in addition to the normal ISY backup?

I only have 4 things on Z-wave.  I assume I can just rebuild the z-wave network?  I can't remember how to do that, though.  Is it like Insteon, where you have to hit a button on each device?

1 hour ago, ctviggen1 said:

I did move from a 300 series board to a 500 series board. 

Shoot, I did not see the Z-wave/tools/backup, or the restore.  I tried the restore, but there is no file. 

Why doesn't a backup of the ISY also store the z-wave configuration?  Should I be backing up the z-wave configuration in addition to the normal ISY backup?

I only have 4 things on Z-wave.  I assume I can just rebuild the z-wave network?  I can't remember how to do that, though.  Is it like Insteon, where you have to hit a button on each device?

Zwave creates a secure key between the board and device which is why you need to back the board up separately. It's akin to having a sd card in your phone. You would need to back both up separately. 

Every zwave mfg. has their own way to add/remove devices. You'll need to find the manuals to see what your devices require. Make sure you exclude them before trying to add them. 

On 11/28/2020 at 10:03 AM, brockp said:

I'm on 5.2 with an PML and updated ZWave module (Thanks!)

It fails uploading Upgrade Failed: Failed Uploading File (reported written size is invalid).

Re downloaded the insteon firmware etc.  no change.  Thoughts?   I'm upgrading from a mac on 10.15.7

Did you figure this out, @brockp? I'm getting the same error...

7 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

Zwave creates a secure key between the board and device which is why you need to back the board up separately. It's akin to having a sd card in your phone. You would need to back both up separately. 

Every zwave mfg. has their own way to add/remove devices. You'll need to find the manuals to see what your devices require. Make sure you exclude them before trying to add them. 

Following the instructions in the manual for my three ceiling fan controllers, then  zwave, add a device, then pressing the paddles on the controllers... nothing happens.  There's a dialog box that says it's searching for zwave devices, but they aren't found.

I don't see a way to exclude devices, at least under the z-wave drop down menu.

If I right-click on the z-wave device that no longer works, I can remove it.  But if I try to do that, it says I should exclude it...but I can't find the exclude menu.

Can you tell me where the exclude menu is? 

I don't see a way to exclude devices, at least under the z-wave drop down menu.

The second item in the menu should say "Remove/Exclude...".

Excluding is basically the same process as removing.  You are really just removing a device that is not added yet.

Today, I too upgrades my Z-Wave board from the 300 to 500 series, and updated the ISY from 4.7.1 to 5.3.0.

I backed up the z-wave dongle and the ISY, as per instructions, but unfortunately the z-wave devices were a no show on the restore. I was getting an error message during restore saying could not open file to read conf/0013.czw.

Although my z-wave devices were not showing up in the admin console, I had to exclude/remove the hidden devices from ISY. It was only after I removed these "ghost devices" could I then add them and have it show up in admin console. Luckily, I only had a dozen z-wave devices. My Insteon devices had no issues. All's well now, except sometime in the future I'll have to modify or delete some programs/scenes.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently upgraded two different ISY boxes with the new 500 series boards and the 5.3.0 firmware.  The only z-wave devices I have are thermostats, door locks, and one house has an Aeotec water level detector in a sump pump.  So far everything is working fine.  It was a very smooth upgrade.  (I upgraded from 5.0.16)

Nice work from Universal Devices!

Edited by smacbride

On 12/6/2020 at 6:02 PM, gzahar said:

The second item in the menu should say "Remove/Exclude...".

Excluding is basically the same process as removing.  You are really just removing a device that is not added yet.

Sorry, I'm finally getting back to this.  Here's my menu:

image.png.3c7189814be14b0d12c3070171c642a7.png

Should I just remove all my Z-wave devices and then re-add them?  I only have 4 (three ceiling fan controls, one door. 

I might have to open a trouble ticket.  I took the ISY apart to ensure the new z-wave board is installed correctly. As far as I can tell, it is. 

Then, I went to the menu I show above (z-wave, remove a z-wave device), but the system begins to search for z-wave devices to remove...which it doesn't find, even if I perform the actions on the devices necessary for them to link to the ISY. 

I could right click on the devices themselves and choose z-wave, remove failed node, but then I get a warning saying "z-wave devices are normally removed from the z-wave network by excluding them". But I see no option in the Admin console to "exclude" z-wave devices.

I'm running in circles.

At my wit's end with the 5.3 and Z-Wave 500. I have spent hours simply trying to add my switches back in. Linear WD500-Z1. I installed the new module, figured I would clean things up and do a new install. Did a factory reset on the 500, used the minimote to remove the devices. It appears to remove them. I can add them to the minimote if I make it a controller. On the ISY I can add maybe 1 or 2 switches. Only what is real close to the ISY. It seems like I have nearly no range on z-wave. I cannot seem to get the minimote to be an inclusion controller.  Does anyone have any insight on exactly how to do this, step by step in case I am mssing something.  My thoughts are this.

I reset the Z-Wave controller

I remove the config from the switches, using remove on the minimote

I add the devices to the ISY by doing a double tap, I can get this to work for 1 or 2 switches.

Nothing further than 20ft or so from the ISY will add. I almost seems like it just does not like some of my linear switches or it is not making a mesh. 

Tried to use the minimote but the menus on the ISY don't have the move the controller around stuff, at least in 5.3.

15 hours ago, DennisC said:

On the zwave menu at the top is there an item that says synchronize? I think it might be low in the list and underneath another menu item.

Try using that, it should delete unused zwave nodes.

That did work. It's Z-wave, synchronize nodes, all (or at least I used "all"; there's also "new & deleted", which I did not use).

Even though I only have 4 nodes, I forgot what a pain this is. Three nodes are fan controllers, which I find strange (they have three entries).  And then I have to remap everything to the programs and to Alexa. 

I'm going to have to open a trouble ticket, too.

I was able to add 50% of my 4 z-wave devices: one of three fan controllers and a door lock.

After using "Z-wave, synchronize nodes, all", none of these were ostensibly in the admin console.  However, I could not add them.  I had to first remove them (Z-wave, then remove a Z-wave device), then add them back in. 

For 2 of the fans, however, I cannot get them to add back in.  For 1 of the fans, when I chose "remove a z-wave device", I got that popup to disappear, meaning I think the device was removed.  For the other fan, however, this popup never disappeared, which I think means the fan was already removed at some point.

For both fans, I cannot add them.  That is, selecting Z-wave, then add a z-wave device, then going to the device and pressing the button to add the device to the z-wave network, this does nothing.  The "add a z-wave device" popup stays there. 

All three fans used to work using the old board, and the fan that was added is about the same distance from the ISY 994i as the other two are. 

I'm going to have to open a trouble ticket, too.

I was able to add 50% of my 4 z-wave devices: one of three fan controllers and a door lock.

After using "Z-wave, synchronize nodes, all", none of these were ostensibly in the admin console.  However, I could not add them.  I had to first remove them (Z-wave, then remove a Z-wave device), then add them back in. 

For 2 of the fans, however, I cannot get them to add back in.  For 1 of the fans, when I chose "remove a z-wave device", I got that popup to disappear, meaning I think the device was removed.  For the other fan, however, this popup never disappeared, which I think means the fan was already removed at some point.

For both fans, I cannot add them.  That is, selecting Z-wave, then add a z-wave device, then going to the device and pressing the button to add the device to the z-wave network, this does nothing.  The "add a z-wave device" popup stays there. 

All three fans used to work using the old board, and the fan that was added is about the same distance from the ISY 994i as the other two are. 

I would suggest trying to move the ISY closer to the fan and try adding it then. 

16 minutes ago, DennisC said:

I would suggest trying to move the ISY closer to the fan and try adding it then. 

Right now, the ISY is in the basement (where it has been for the last multiple years, in the same spot).  The fans are on the second floor.

I could move the ISY to the first floor, but I have no Ethernet connections on the second floor.  I might be able to move the ISY (temporarily) to where my (other) computer is on the first floor and try from there.  If I do that, I'll report back. 

So, I moved the ISY to the first floor.  I found one of the two missing fan controllers.

For the second missing fan controller, I've done everything.  I reset it to factory defaults, tired to remove it before and after resetting it to factory defaults, tried to add it before and after resetting to factory defaults.  Nothing works.  Perhaps the controller went bad? 

This "missing" fan controller is a door's width away from the controller that was found.  There's no reason it shouldn't be found (not to mention it was found and worked fine for quite a while with the old z-wave board). 

I moved the ISY back into the basement.

By the way, if that Jasco/GE fan controller failed, that would make 2 of 4 that have failed.  One failed completely (would no longer react to anything or do anything).  This one works via the switch (you can turn on and off the fan from the switch), but does not appear to work using z-wave.  Seems like a high failure rate.

@ctviggen1 Someone else besides me should be making this comment, because I don't use z-wave and I may not be exactly correct, but in other threads I've seen it suggested that the device needs to be brought within range of the ISY.  This suggests to me that Z-wave doesn't adopt well over its mesh network and needs to speak directly to the ISY.   Some people have removed the device and hooked it up with a temporary plug-in cord and positioning it right next to the ISY.  

Perhaps a post in one of the Z-wave sections of the forum would get better attention than in this firmware release thread.

10 minutes ago, MrBill said:

@ctviggen1 Someone else besides me should be making this comment, because I don't use z-wave and I may not be exactly correct, but in other threads I've seen it suggested that the device needs to be brought within range of the ISY.  This suggests to me that Z-wave doesn't adopt well over its mesh network and needs to speak directly to the ISY.   Some people have removed the device and hooked it up with a temporary plug-in cord and positioning it right next to the ISY.  

Perhaps a post in one of the Z-wave sections of the forum would get better attention than in this firmware release thread.

This is (adding zwave devices) complicated but you are right. If all devices in a system supports network wide inclusion, you should be able to add devices from their location (assuming all devices are within range). 

From my experience, this isn't perfect (of course). I still add devices prior to installation in order of closest to farthest. The same with locks. I'll add those after, I've added, devices that I hope they will talk to. 

• Like 1

One other thing you could try is "update neighbors". Now that you have several devices added, an update to the mesh might help. I don't remember exactly where it's located, by I think it's a right click on the device. Then you need to look through the choices given.