Random Phantom light

ixlr8

Short story- I have a light plugged into a lamp module that randomly turns on for a few seconds and then turns off. I can't find anything in my programs or scenes that would cause it. 

Long story- I had a light plugged into a lamp module that worked fine until the lamp module blew up. I decided to try one of the new Insteon Led Bulbs, so I went thru my programs/scenes and replaced the lamp module with the ILB. After installing the ILB, I noticed that the bulb would turn on/off randomly and sometimes not come on when it should. I figured there was something wrong with the ILB. I removed the ILB and installed a new lamp module for that light. Now the new lamp module is doing the same thing, at random times, day and night, bulb comes on for 1-10 seconds and then goes off. Most of the time it is on for 1-2 seconds. 

The error logs I have looked at just show the command to turn on or off, but not what is generating the command. Is there any way to see/log what program/scene is causing this random behavior? Is there a way to temporarily disable a program or scene so I can try to find the culprit by removing different programs/scenes until it stops happening? I would rather not have to delete programs and then go back and re-write them.

Thank you

1 hour ago, larryllix said:

Did you know if you right-click on any program name in the program tree, there is a Find and Replace option to search for any device/program/variable etc. in the admin console?

No, I didn't know that, thanks.

I did the "find" 3 times thru all my programs, I did find a program I forgot about. But I don't see how any of the programs I have could be causing the issue. I only have one; On-delay-off program and that delay is for 20 minutes.

2 minutes ago, ixlr8 said:

No, I didn't know that, thanks.

I did the "find" 3 times thru all my programs, I did find a program I forgot about. But I don't see how any of the programs I have could be causing the issue. I only have one; On-delay-off program and that delay is for 20 minutes.

Did you factory reset either the bulb or the new lamp module before adding it to the ISY?  Whenever I have weird happenings like this it's usually because I forgot that step which i try to always do, even with new devices.  (it clears the memory to all zero's, they can arrive new with some junk links).   You could try factory reset, then right click the device in the tree and pick "restore device" to re-add it to the ISY.

6 minutes ago, MrBill said:

Did you factory reset either the bulb or the new lamp module before adding it to the ISY?  Whenever I have weird happenings like this it's usually because I forgot that step which i try to always do, even with new devices.  (it clears the memory to all zero's, they can arrive new with some junk links).   You could try factory reset, then right click the device in the tree and pick "restore device" to re-add it to the ISY.

I have never done a 'factory reset' on a new device as I didn't know I should, or how to do it.

32 minutes ago, ixlr8 said:

I have never done a 'factory reset' on a new device as I didn't know I should, or how to do it.

I had a device do the opposite thing it was sent once. I don't know how that could be possible but Insteon devices contain little computers and can act real stupid at times. Any time a device starts to act weird (not that often) you can do a download links and then hit the compare button to check if the links still match. Of course, you can just do a Restore instead, or use the Restore after examining the links also.

1 hour ago, ixlr8 said:

The instructions for factory reset is in the owners manual. Pretty much unplug module for 10 sec. Hold set button while plugging in and continue to hold until beeping stops

1 hour ago, gzahar said:

In the Program Summary tab you can also sort programs by when they last ran.
And you can disable programs by right clicking on them.

Looking at the time stamps on the Program Summary listing, it looks like I might have a flaky keypad. It is the only thing that comes close to the time of the last random light coming on. I will need to verify time stamps with events, this could take a while. I have some days where the light does not randomly come on at all, then this morning it was coming on 7-8 times an hour, starting at 4am. :(  

1 hour ago, ixlr8 said:

Usually factory reset involves holding down the link button while you insert the batteries and not letting go until all the flashing and beeping stops.

For AC devices do a search for the model number with duckduckgo.com or other non-spy search engine and find the Insteon manual for that device. Save the file into a folder, as they can change or disappear. Switchlincs are factory reset by opening the air gap switch and then depressing the tab suddenly without powering up the switchlinc, in between. Hold in until all activity stops.

Okay, I have disabled all programs that control the lamp module and the lamp still turns on/off. The log file shows the status of the lamp module changing from 0% to 100% with no command given to turn on/off the lamp.

L R Lamp    Status    100%    Sat 2020/10/17 07:22:32 AM    System    Log    
L R Lamp    Status    0%    Sat 2020/10/17 07:22:36 AM    System    Log    
L R Lamp    Status    100%    Sat 2020/10/17 07:27:23 AM    System    Log    
L R Lamp    Status    0%    Sat 2020/10/17 07:27:25 AM    System    Log    
L R Lamp    Status    100%    Sat 2020/10/17 07:27:43 AM    System    Log    
L R Lamp    Status    0%    Sat 2020/10/17 07:27:45 AM    System    Log    

When I did the initial install of the module, I selected "Remove all existing links", I do this for all new modules. I assumed that would clear out any garbage that was in the module. Should I do a 'factory reset' anyway? I am at a loss as to what is going on.

I did a 'factory reset' last night, "enabled" all the programs associated with the lamp module and did a "restore device". I just checked the logs and they didn't show any random on/off events overnight. 12 hours of no random events doesn't mean it is fixed, but it is a good trend. I will report back in a few days with an update. Through all this I did find some minor programming issues not related to this issue I need to correct. 

EDIT: I spoke too soon, since I originally posted this note I have had 3 random on/off events for the lamp, with no programs commanding the lamp on or off. :( Not sure if disabling any of my programing will do any good at this point. Back to the drawing board.

12 hours ago, smacbride said:

I had a lamp module that would randomly turn on.  I could never figure it out and I just replaced it with a new unit.  New unit works fine.

One thought.

If the old module was a 2456D or 2856D. They have local control sensing that defaulted to ON. Sometimes the load or noise would trigger them ON.

The new was a 2457D2. It  also does have local control sensing but it defaults to OFF and you have to enable it.

I did a 'factory reset' last night, "enabled" all the programs associated with the lamp module and did a "restore device". I just checked the logs and they didn't show any random on/off events overnight. 12 hours of no random events doesn't mean it is fixed, but it is a good trend. I will report back in a few days with an update. Through all this I did find some minor programming issues not related to this issue I need to correct. 

Reading back through your original post; given that you had two different devices act the same way and another blow up, I would focus on AC issues if the problem resurfaces. Possibly a filter would help.
Another idea is that the original lamp module did something to the socket it was plugged into when it went bad (assuming the replacement devices have used the same outlet).

• 2 weeks later...

I am still getting random uncommanded on/off events from the lamp module, although the number of events is greatly reduced at the different outlet. I have 2 LinkFilters around here somewhere from another project, if I can find them, I will install one and see what happens.

39 minutes ago, ixlr8 said:

I am still getting random uncommanded on/off events from the lamp module, although the number of events is greatly reduced at the different outlet. I have 2 LinkFilters around here somewhere from another project, if I can find them, I will install one and see what happens.

If you mean the Insteon FilterLincs, the device should not be reachable with any Insteon signals, if plugged into the filtered receptacle. FilterLincs block Insteon signals from passing through them. If it still acts up then it is doing it on it's own.

• 4 months later...

Long overdue update.

The Lamp Module that had random events finally died. I pulled the cover off and it smelled like somebody 'let the smoke out'. I found another Lamp Module I didn't know I had and programed it to act the same as the one with the random events, but didn't install it in the same program. Everything seems to be working properly. Looks like I had an Insteon LED module and a Lamp Module both failing for the same issue. They were purchased at the same time, maybe some sort of factory defect? All seems to be working properly which is leading to a happy wife. :) 

The 2456D LampLincs and 2456S ApplianceLinc had issues. With the 30 Volt Zener diode getting warm enough to either fall of the PCB or the board got so hot it started to turn black. The 470uF 35V caps would also fail.

Don't know too much about the Dual Band 2457D2 LampLinc other than it has a switching supply in it and may have capacitor issues like the 2413 PLMs do.

Archived