Future in Insteon

DAlter01

4 minutes ago, asbril said:

I think that is the point and yes, if I were to start a new home then I would also consider C4, though I enjoy "playing" with it myself and C4 is for professional installation and maintenance. 

To be honest, I think radio ra2 works better than C4 in regards to lighting. I just think their switches are ugly compared to C4 which is why I don't use them. 

You could do the free course (since you'll probably need just 1 repeater) or even the L2 course for 650 and then combine it with your isy for programming (use simplextech's nodeserver). You wouldn't need to  pay anyone to set it up and manage it. While 650 bucks is alot just to be able to program something, it's much less than an installer would charge. 

1 hour ago, asbril said:

Zwave will remain fragmented if the Zwave Alliance does not impose a greater functional  similarity on manufacturers.

My experience has been that in most cases when you have an organization like Z-Wave Alliance create a protocol designed for many manufacturers, they allow manufacturers to add a certain amount custom features to their products. Android is example of this. Android allows phone manufacturers carriers to add their own features to the Android system. Companies like Insteon and Apple have proprietary protocols. All products are manufactured by them so there's no opportunity for other manufacturers to add features. Thus their products are all going work basically the same. 

12 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

You could do the free course (since you'll probably need just 1 repeater) or even the L2 course for 650 and then combine it with your isy for programming

Just to add some clarity for those not familiar with RadioRA 2.  With the standard L1 (free class) you can have 1 MAIN repeater and up to 4 AUX repeaters in the system.  You really have to have a VERY large home to get to a point of needing 2 MAIN repeaters and 8 AUX repeaters requiring L2 programming.  

Simplextech, it appears the RadioRA2 local controls (dimmers, switches) and repeaters are compatible with a Homeworks QS system such that if/when someone found themselves (or a subsequent owner) wanted to convert to Homeworks, the equipment would still be usable.  Am I interpreting what I am reading correctly with that statement?

15 minutes ago, dalter2 said:

Simplextech, it appears the RadioRA2 local controls (dimmers, switches) and repeaters are compatible with a Homeworks QS system such that if/when someone found themselves (or a subsequent owner) wanted to convert to Homeworks, the equipment would still be usable.  Am I interpreting what I am reading correctly with that statement?

Yes that is correct.

There is an upgrade path from RA2 Select to RA2 then to HomeWorksQS.  Caseta is the only system that has no upgrade path to the higher end systems.

One really must have a huge house to outgrow RR2 +7500 sq/ft.  HomeWorksQS is a larger control system which utilizes RA2 Main repeaters and wraps the systems together.  Again using a control system you can grow RR2 to huge sizes using multiple Main Repeaters as individual systems.  Lots of people do this as the price tag to HWQS is unreachable by most.

1 hour ago, Goose66 said:

You're going on my "I told you so" list! ?

In the interest of full disclosure, I am 100% Insteon here (meaning no Zwave or other lighting/switches/modules). $3500+ worth, I would imagine.

Ditto. 100% Insteon, for proprietary protocol home automation devices.

I also have many other systems that are not closed architecture as Insteon is, and Zwave has been. I also use many WiFi devices, some cloud devices, and CAO Tags, whatever their RF protocol is.

Another hooray for ISY994 that made it NOT locked into one, or another system.
ISY994 made it possible to slide over from one system to another and mix systems.

1 hour ago, asbril said:

I think that is the point and yes, if I were to start a new home then I would also consider C4, though I enjoy "playing" with it myself and C4 is for professional installation and maintenance. 

I had one sales promotion on C4 and that was enough for me. I don't have $10-$15K to spend on HA and don't want to make a $400 service call every time I want the timing changed on my HRV system fan.

7 minutes ago, simplextech said:

Yes that is correct.

There is an upgrade path from RA2 Select to RA2 then to HomeWorksQS.  Caseta is the only system that has no upgrade path to the higher end systems.

One really must have a huge house to outgrow RR2 +7500 sq/ft.  HomeWorksQS is a larger control system which utilizes RA2 Main repeaters and wraps the systems together.  Again using a control system you can grow RR2 to huge sizes using multiple Main Repeaters as individual systems.  Lots of people do this as the price tag to HWQS is unreachable by most.

You taught me something. I always thought RR2 switches were incompatible with homeworks. 

1 hour ago, dalter2 said:

Keep in mind, homeworks is dealer only. It would be up to your local installer whether or not they would re-use your older switches. I know many (including myself) do not like going behind existing work to avoid future service calls on devices that you didn't install

3 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

Keep in mind, homeworks is dealer only.

So is RadioRA 2.... or supposed to be.....  

3 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

I know many (including myself) do not like going behind existing work to avoid future service calls on devices that you didn't install

Yup this is always an issue to discuss with your dealer.

I got some feedback from Smarthome this morning.  They are discontinuing light almond for their dimmers/switches.  While not discussed, I suppose that may means they will also discontinue ivory.  They will support the color change kits for the switches.  I was told receptacles will be in white only but they do still have some light almond receptacle dimmers.

White devices are expected to be back in stock late January or early February.  

Just now, dalter2 said:

I got some feedback from Smarthome this morning.  They are discontinuing light almond for their dimmers/switches.  While not discussed, I suppose that may means they will also discontinue ivory.  They will support the color change kits for the switches.  I was told receptacles will be in white only but they do still have some light almond receptacle dimmers.

White devices are expected to be back in stock late January or early February.  

And, the email said they will have "some" in stock in late January/early February.  I interpreted that to mean they are not going to have a bunch of them and will likely sell out farily quickly.

1 hour ago, larryllix said:

I had one sales promotion on C4 and that was enough for me. I don't have $10-$15K to spend on HA and don't want to make a $400 service call every time I want the timing changed on my HRV system fan.

Maybe after tonight's Powerball ?

From UD perspective, we have not been given any information on their new products (including the PLM). So, at the moment, our working assumption is that none of their new products will work with ISY/Polisy. And, given all that's on our plate with our existing contracts, I am not so sure we will have the bandwidth to support new INSTEON products in a timely manner. But, then again, perhaps that's SmartHome's goal to begin with. And, it's entirely up to them to decide ...

With kind regards,
Michel

The manual and photos of the 2234-223 Serial and 2234-222 USB versions. In the FCC Database.

Indicate it has a universal power supply 100VAC to 240 VAC, 50Hz/60Hz. Larger Link Database of 4000 over the 2413S 1000.

Internal photos show a separate AC input plate. Only a guess but it should be easy to change the plate to match other parts of the worlds AC standards and tune the RF section to match other countries allowed frequency. So maybe eventually others may see a PLM that works in other areas of the world.

Archived