Logitech Harmony + Alexa + ISY 994i

ctviggen1

I'm setting up a Logitech Harmony companion remote for our basement projector system.  This remote has two light and two outlet buttons to control lights/outlets. What I'd like to do is hit one light button and have it access a scene via Alexa on the ISY 994i. 

In other words, I have a "projector light" scene where I can tell Alexa "turn on projector light", and this turns on a small set of LEDs that are on the projector platform (near ceiling), and keeps them on for a short time.  We run the projector via a soundbar with Alexa built in. Telling Alexa to do this via the soundbar works fine, except you lose sound for a while...and periodically don't get it back. 

I'd love to be able to map the "light" button on the Logitech remote to do this. 

Anyone tried something like this?

I've supposedly linked Alexa and the Logitech hub, so that I can tell Alexa to "turn on ActivityX", where activity X is one of three activities (watch Fire TV, play game, watch Kodi).  So, Alexa and Logitech are linked, but if I try to add a device to map to the home control buttons, there is nothing like "Alexa" or Universal Devices there.

I second the recommendation for the hue emulator (as opposed to the hue node server).  I found it a little counterintuitive, but it works great once you get your head around the concept.  I am also assuming you are using a harmony hub device.

In my mind, the hue emulator simulates a hue hub (even if you already have an actual hue hub, which I do).  The harmony remote hubs can find hue hubs and control them.  In this case, you want to link the harmony remote to the hub known as the hue emulator, not the real hue hub (if you even have one.)  Once linked, the harmony app can find the devices in the hue emulator.

IIRC, ISY devices can be added to the hue emulator by assigning a "spoken" command to those devices you want to control.  Once they are added to the hue emulator, add the hue skill to your harmony and try to find your hue emulator (harmony thinking it is finding an actual hue hub.)  Once found, the devices added to the hue emulator (those having "spoken" assigned) will show up as devices that can be controlled via your harmony remote and assigned to your light or outlet buttons.

I have likely omitted a few details, but the hue emulator is one of the node servers that I definitely like.

I am using a Harmony hub device.  (By the way, Harmony remotes are difficult to find...due to covid?  Had to pay full price, too. But even I was having a hard time with all the remotes for this relatively simply setup. My kids had to ask me to operate it.)  I had to use a hub for what I wanted to do (Fire TV needs the hub, since it's Bluetooth). 

Where do I find more information about the hue emulator? 

1 hour ago, ctviggen1 said:

I am using a Harmony hub device.  (By the way, Harmony remotes are difficult to find...due to covid?  Had to pay full price, too. But even I was having a hard time with all the remotes for this relatively simply setup. My kids had to ask me to operate it.)  I had to use a hub for what I wanted to do (Fire TV needs the hub, since it's Bluetooth). 

Where do I find more information about the hue emulator? 

if you have Polisy/polyglot check the nodeserver store.  here's the link from the store: https://github.com/jimboca/udi-poly-hue-emu

Regarding controlling alexa via the harmony remote....I do not recall that this is possible.  I believe one can add the harmony skill to alexa which enables one to control a hub via alexa, but I don’t recall the reverse (controlling alexa devices via the hub) being true.  Hopefully, others can correct me if I remember incorrectly.

Archived