Polisy has become musical when rebooting. Is this normal?

gviliunas

I just had occasion to restart Polisy via the System / "Reboot Polisy" drop-down link in the web page. In the past, when doing this, I would hear 2 beeps followed by a long pause while Polisy reboots then 2 more beeps telling me that Polisy is again running.

Now, after selecting the reboot, I hear 4 beeps followed by the long pause then 3 lower-tone beeps followed by 3 higher tone beeps, a short pause and then 1 beep followed by a longer pause and a final single beep.

Old sound pattern:    (shutting down):  beep   beep          (Polisy back up):  beep  beep

New sound pattern:  (shutting down): beep  beep  beep  beep      (Polisy back up):  Lowbeep  Lowbeep  Lowbeep    Highbeep  Highbeep  Highbeep  beep .......  beep

Everything appears to be working properly. Is this a new feature?

Polisy version: 2.2.13

Frontend: 2.2.9-5

Isy 5.3.3

11 hours ago, gviliunas said:

I just had occasion to restart Polisy via the System / "Reboot Polisy" drop-down link in the web page. In the past, when doing this, I would hear 2 beeps followed by a long pause while Polisy reboots then 2 more beeps telling me that Polisy is again running.

Now, after selecting the reboot, I hear 4 beeps followed by the long pause then 3 lower-tone beeps followed by 3 higher tone beeps, a short pause and then 1 beep followed by a longer pause and a final single beep.

Old sound pattern:    (shutting down):  beep   beep          (Polisy back up):  beep  beep

New sound pattern:  (shutting down): beep  beep  beep  beep      (Polisy back up):  Lowbeep  Lowbeep  Lowbeep    Highbeep  Highbeep  Highbeep  beep .......  beep

Everything appears to be working properly. Is this a new feature?

Polisy version: 2.2.13

Frontend: 2.2.9-5

Isy 5.3.3

For what it’s worth, mine did the same thing.  I’m a bit entertained.  Maybe it’s some sort of UDI secret code indicating the imminence of Polyglot v3.0.   

18 minutes ago, Bumbershoot said:

For what it’s worth, mine did the same thing.  I’m a bit entertained.  Maybe it’s some sort of UDI secret code indicating the imminence of Polyglot v3.0.   

I hope it wasn't three short, three long, and then three short again.

Hello all,

Thank you for noticing. I take credit for composing it!

In short, we had many systems that were stuck on FreeBSD 12.1 ... so, we automated that and also streamlined package management in addition to:

1. Additional security enhancement using TPM service
2. Support for mDNS (so you can find the unit via polisy.local or polisy)

The musical tones were added for your amusement and, for us: a) the OS has the correct level, b) udx version 2+ is running, and c) TPM and mDNS are running

With kind regards,
Michel 

I use and enjoy ISY everyday.

Had to reboot polisy to hear the new tones.

Before rebooting, I tried to update from the command line - some problems ensued.

[admin@polisy ~]$ sudo pkg update
Password:
Updating FreeBSD-base repository catalogue...
FreeBSD-base repository is up to date.
Updating udi repository catalogue...
Fetching meta.conf: 100%    163 B   0.2kB/s    00:01
Fetching packagesite.txz: 100%  118 KiB 120.4kB/s    00:01
Processing entries:   0%
pkg: wrong architecture: FreeBSD:13:* instead of FreeBSD:12:amd64
pkg: repository udi contains packages with wrong ABI: FreeBSD:13:*
Processing entries: 100%
Unable to update repository udi
Error updating repositories!
[admin@polisy ~]$

suggestions?

• 1 month later...

@mbking,

Yes but please do make sure:

1. Your are already on 12.2 (uname -a)
2. Make sure udx is on 2.1.2_1 (pkg info udx). If not, upgrade udx (sudo pkg upgrade udx)
3. Run 
cat /usr/local/etc/udx.d/static/update13.sh | sudo bash

This will upgrade you to 13, upgrade Python to 3.8, and then goes through all your node servers and upgrades them to use Python 3.8.

There will be one more massive upgrade which may need manual intervention (signing/verifying the bootloader). Once that's done, upgrades should be as smooth as ISY.

With kind regards,
Michel

Upgrade SUCCESS but expect a whole lot of beeping.

I followed Michel's steps above. My system was already at the prerequisite versions.

Step 3 required several minutes to complete then needed to enter: "sudo shutdown -r now" for the reboot.

Over ~ 2min there were 14 beeps in this pattern then I could login and all was good.

beepbeepbeep   beepbeepbeep   beepbeepbeep   beepbeepbeep   beep       beep 

Thanks to the UDI Team for all of their excellent work!

6 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@mbking,

2. Make sure udx is on 2.1.2_1 (pkg info udx). If not, upgrade udx (sudo pkg upgrade udx)
3. Run 

This will upgrade you to 13, upgrade Python to 3.8, and then goes through all your node servers and upgrades them to use Python 3.8.

There will be one more massive upgrade which may need manual intervention (signing/verifying the bootloader). Once that's done, upgrades should be as smooth as ISY.

With kind regards,
Michel

Michel I ran the steps and during the update of the node server MagicHome in slot two the follow occurred:

updating MagicHome

Collecting git+git://github.com/fahrer16/flux_led (from -r requirements.txt (lin                                            e 2))

Cloning git://github.com/fahrer16/flux_led to /tmp/pip-req-build-548hdu25

Running command git clone -q git://github.com/fahrer16/flux_led /tmp/pip-req-b                                            uild-548hdu25

ERROR: Error [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'git' while executing comman                                            d git clone -q git://github.com/fahrer16/flux_led /tmp/pip-req-build-548hdu25

ERROR: Cannot find command 'git' - do you have 'git' installed and in your PATH?

The Node will only show disconnected after stopping and starting.  It has following in its Polisy log:

2021-06-15 15:06:11,082 MainThread polyinterface      INFO     polyinterface:init_interface: Received Config from STDIN.

2021-06-15 15:06:11,083 MainThread polyinterface      INFO     __init__:<module>: UDI Polyglot v2 Interface 2.1.0 Starting...

2021-06-15 15:06:11,087 MainThread polyinterface      ERROR    polyinterface:write: Traceback (most recent call last):

2021-06-15 15:06:11,088 MainThread polyinterface      ERROR    polyinterface:write: File "./magichome.py", line 9, in <module>

2021-06-15 15:06:11,090 MainThread polyinterface      ERROR    polyinterface:write: from flux_led import BulbScanner, WifiLedBulb

2021-06-15 15:06:11,091 MainThread polyinterface      ERROR    polyinterface:write: ModuleNotFoundError

2021-06-15 15:06:11,092 MainThread polyinterface      ERROR    polyinterface:write: :

2021-06-15 15:06:11,092 MainThread polyinterface      ERROR    polyinterface:write: No module named 'flux_led'_led'

5 hours ago, gviliunas said:

Upgrade SUCCESS but expect a whole lot of beeping.

I followed Michel's steps above. My system was already at the prerequisite versions.

Step 3 required several minutes to complete then needed to enter: "sudo shutdown -r now" for the reboot.

Over ~ 2min there were 14 beeps in this pattern then I could login and all was good.

beepbeepbeep   beepbeepbeep   beepbeepbeep   beepbeepbeep   beep       beep 

Thanks to the UDI Team for all of their excellent work!

Similar experience here.  Nice bit of scripting to get that to work!  Well done!

@hart2hart,
That's not normal. Are you certain you had 12.2?
With kind regards,
Michel

Yes thanks Michel, it was 12.2 and the script ran many steps in updates for several minutes. I scrolled back through terminal session and located this error before the restart.

It’s now running 13 and other than this non working node it appears good and heartbeat is fine on other nodeservers.

Tried to update...

login as: admin
Keyboard-interactive authentication prompts from server:
| Password for admin@polisy:
End of keyboard-interactive prompts from server
Last login: Sat Apr 24 17:26:12 2021 from 10.0.0.225
FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p6 r369564 POLISY

Welcome to FreeBSD!

Release Notes, Errata: https://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/
Security Advisories:   https://www.FreeBSD.org/security/
FreeBSD Handbook:      https://www.FreeBSD.org/handbook/
FreeBSD FAQ:           https://www.FreeBSD.org/faq/
Questions List: https://lists.FreeBSD.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions/
FreeBSD Forums:        https://forums.FreeBSD.org/

Documents installed with the system are in the /usr/local/share/doc/freebsd/
directory, or can be installed later with:  pkg install en-freebsd-doc
For other languages, replace "en" with a language code like de or fr.

Show the version of FreeBSD installed:  freebsd-version ; uname -a
Please include that output and any error messages when posting questions.
Introduction to manual pages:  man man
FreeBSD directory layout:      man hier

Edit /etc/motd to change this login announcement.
[admin@polisy ~]$ uname -a
FreeBSD polisy 12.2-RELEASE-p6 FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p6 r369564 POLISY  amd64
[admin@polisy ~]$ pkg info udx
udx-2.0.1_1
Name           : udx
Version        : 2.0.1_1
Installed on   : Sat Apr 24 17:01:12 2021 PDT
Origin         : misc/udx
Architecture   : FreeBSD:12:amd64
Prefix         : /usr/local
Categories     : misc
Licenses       :
Maintainer     : michel@universal-devices.com
WWW            : https://www.universal-devices.com/
Comment        : Polisy Admin Service
Annotations    :
        FreeBSD_version: 1202000
        repo_type      : binary
        repository     : udi
Flat size      : 5.34MiB
Description    :
UDX HW/Admin Service for Universal Devices Polisy

WWW: https://www.universal-devices.com/
[admin@polisy ~]$ sudo pkg upgrade udx
Password:
Updating FreeBSD-base repository catalogue...
pkg: https://pkg.isy.io/FreeBSD-base/FreeBSD:12:amd64/latest/meta.txz: No address record
repository FreeBSD-base has no meta file, using default settings
pkg: https://pkg.isy.io/FreeBSD-base/FreeBSD:12:amd64/latest/packagesite.txz: No address record
Unable to update repository FreeBSD-base
Updating udi repository catalogue...
pkg: https://pkg.isy.io/udx12/meta.txz: No address record
repository udi has no meta file, using default settings
pkg: https://pkg.isy.io/udx12/packagesite.txz: No address record
Unable to update repository udi
Error updating repositories!

Couldn't get past step 2.

On 6/15/2021 at 8:53 AM, Michel Kohanim said:

@mbking,

3. Run 

With kind regards,
Michel

@Michel Kohanim, thanks for getting back on this.  Been held up with other priorities, so I haven't tried it yet.  I did have a question, though.  If this process updates your existing node servers to use Python 3.8, do you need to avoid adding or updating existing node servers until all node servers in the store are updated  to use Python 3.8?

Archived